Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signed Thomas Harris book for under $20...? Yes, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Yikes. Not exactly lighting a fire under me to read this thing.
    Please read it and form your own opinion. Not a great read but you may think otherwise. I still can't figure out how you can hate on The Mailman so maybe you will love this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
      Please read it and form your own opinion. Not a great read but you may think otherwise. I still can't figure out how you can hate on The Mailman so maybe you will love this one.
      GAHHHH! I ranted enough on Goodreads about that book. It was a fun review to write though. And the review was a better read than THE MAILMAN.

I will read Cari Mora next. I'm currently re-reading THE TOMMYKNOCKERS and I really like it.

Comment

The issue for me with the Harris book is that the story itself IS interesting and SHOULD be great, but the writing is so shallow, it’s like reading the Cliffs Notes extended version. Very shallow characters and very little depth of plot.

Comment

GAHHHH! I ranted enough on Goodreads about that book. It was a fun review to write though. And the review was a better read than THE MAILMAN.

I will read Cari Mora next. I'm currently re-reading THE TOMMYKNOCKERS and I really like it.
          I read your review and have heard your opinions on the subject. I respect your views but you are simply wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
            The issue for me with the Harris book is that the story itself IS interesting and SHOULD be great, but the writing is so shallow, it’s like reading the Cliffs Notes extended version. Very shallow characters and very little depth of plot.
            That is a very accurate assessment.

Comment

Yes and remember you haven't met a Mallerman you have not liked while I've met one or two. Plus I thought that The Chalk Man was one of the best books from last year and you....not so much. So looking forward to seeing your thoughts on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                Yes and remember you haven't met a Mallerman you have not liked while I've met one or two. Plus I thought that The Chalk Man was one of the best books from last year and you....not so much. So looking forward to seeing your thoughts on this one.
                I think most of my issue with The Chalk Man was the comparison to IT. If I hadn't heard rumblings of IT, then maybe I could have enjoyed the story for what it was. But when expectations are set like that, it's hard to ignore the shadow such a great novel casts. The book HAVEN by Tom Deady was the same thing. That was compared to IT and Summer of Night in the coming-of-age horror tradition and I thought it just flat out bombed. I didn't even finish that one. Anyone want to buy a signed edition? I think I have number 60.

I'm looking forward to The Hiding Place. I have that on order from SubPress. I liked CJ's writing style quite a bit. And the beauty of The Hiding Place is that I have no expectations. I might actually like Cari Mora since my expectations are so "meh."

Comment

I think most of my issue with The Chalk Man was the comparison to IT. If I hadn't heard rumblings of IT, then maybe I could have enjoyed the story for what it was. But when expectations are set like that, it's hard to ignore the shadow such a great novel casts. The book HAVEN by Tom Deady was the same thing. That was compared to IT and Summer of Night in the coming-of-age horror tradition and I thought it just flat out bombed. I didn't even finish that one. Anyone want to buy a signed edition? I think I have number 60.

I'm looking forward to The Hiding Place. I have that on order from SubPress. I liked CJ's writing style quite a bit. And the beauty of The Hiding Place is that I have no expectations. I might actually like Cari Mora since my expectations are so "meh."
                  If it is any consolation I did not have a high opinion of Haven without considering It.

Comment

I received my copy today and am happy to report that I did get an Owl Remarque.

Comment

That is really cool!

Comment

Congrats, Martin!

Comment

That's awesome!

Comment

Congrats, Martin! That is very cool.
                            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                              Congrats, Martin! That is very cool.
                              Agreed!!
                              Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                              My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Thanks everyone. I plan to try to find the time to photograph a few new additions this weekend so hopefully I will have some pictures of the owl in my collector thread this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X