X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

The Hendrix introduction is a reprint but the introduction from the authors husband is new.
    In the PB I have of of this her husband wrote the afterword I believe. To lazy to go pull it off the shelf right now. I know he wrote something for the book

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Just saw the artwork for the latest book. Love it.

Per usual I do not like the price point.

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    GREAT. I still bought it. Still gonna read it. But if this is even 1/10th as pointless as The Mailman, then I might have to sell it. Though unlike a Bentley Little book, I'll actually be able to get real money for it.

I'd rather go by Grady Hendrix's appraisal: The Auctioneer feels like "If Cormac McCarthy had written Needful Things." By that measure, you'll probably have to buy number 23 from my grandkids.
    I think you will like The Auctioneer. It's a good read. I can see why Grady Hendrix said that. Think about it as if McCarthy and Little had a daughter. The authors success and then tragic death make for an interesting story as well. You wonder what might have been if things were different.
    Last edited by bookworm 1; Yesterday, 04:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JeremyM
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

I'd rather go by Grady Hendrix's appraisal: The Auctioneer feels like "If Cormac McCarthy had written Needful Things." By that measure, you'll probably have to buy number 23 from my grandkids.
    Totally off-topic, but if you want to see Cormac's voice put to use in the field of comedy, the site 'Yelping with Cormac' is a great way to kill a little bit of time - this is my favorite - https://yelpingwithcormac.tumblr.com...0/dotties-cafe

Leave a comment:

• pumpheel
    replied
    I will be buying it. Wendell Minor is a great artist and I have a few books signed by him.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

The Hendrix introduction is a reprint but the introduction from the authors husband is new.
    Actually, I toyed with the idea of picking it up an AGE because of that, but then saw this, and decided I’d just wait for the expanded version:

“Carberg is currently writing a memoir of his wife, including the mysterious circumstances that led to her writing The Auctioneer.”

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    If I didn't already have the signed/limited Centipede Press HC of THE AUCTIONEER, I'd be all over it...I love this book. But since I do have it, I believe I'll pass on it, even though that AGE is a bit tempting, with the new art and whatnot (though I've already read Hendrix' introduction, assuming it's a repeat (or slightly revised?) of this essay: https://www.tor.com/2014/08/15/summe...aynards-house/ )...but one has to draw the line somewhere and "multiple deluxe variants of the same book" is where I've drawn mine.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    GREAT. I still bought it. Still gonna read it. But if this is even 1/10th as pointless as The Mailman, then I might have to sell it. Though unlike a Bentley Little book, I'll actually be able to get real money for it.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Glad to hear that my Bentley Little vibes were accurate. Should be a good read.

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied
    I've got my preorder squared away.

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    It is in the vain of Bentley Little,right down to the title. I’m happy with my paperbacks from hell copy.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    I had not heard of this one before the speculation of a Suntup release. I did some research and was intrigued enough that my order is placed. Don't tell Jeff but the description has a Bentley Little feel to it.
    That's a very apt description of the tone of the book. It's not quite as surreal and outlandish as Little since the author plays it more staid and straight-forward, but that same sense or a surreal skewing of normality is very much in play.

Those who like Bentley Little's work will enjoy this book...I have no idea what Jeff will make of it.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    I had not heard of this one before the speculation of a Suntup release. I did some research and was intrigued enough that my order is placed. Don't tell Jeff but the description has a Bentley Little feel to it.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    If I didn't already have the signed/limited Centipede Press HC of THE AUCTIONEER, I'd be all over it...I love this book. But since I do have it, I believe I'll pass on it, even though that AGE is a bit tempting, with the new art and whatnot (though I've already read Hendrix' introduction, assuming it's a repeat (or slightly revised?) of this essay: https://www.tor.com/2014/08/15/summe...aynards-house/ )...but one has to draw the line somewhere and "multiple deluxe variants of the same book" is where I've drawn mine.

Leave a comment:

• bsaenz24
    replied
    It looks good, but I'm passing. Not enough of a draw with so many other books out there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X