No announcement yet.

Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy pass for me. I'm in the minority that doesn't enjoy his writing.

On the other note I've never been put off by accusations or even convictions. If something speaks to me it does.

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Anyone picking-up American Gods? I had signed up for the pre-order earlier this year but think I'm going to pass due to already having a different version, the price point, and there being a few other upcoming releases that I need to budget for. I Wonder if this one will sell out and how quickly? Suntup's timing is also a bit unfortunate due to Gaiman's recent legal issues.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
      Easy pass for me. I'm in the minority that doesn't enjoy his writing.

On the other note I've never been put off by accusations or even convictions. If something speaks to me it does.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same. I don't judge a piece of art any differently even if the artist is a slimeball. I just wonder if his issues might put off a random or casual buyer.  Of course, I doubt there is such a thing at Suntup's $300 minimum price point for this book.  

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
        Anyone picking-up American Gods? I had signed up for the pre-order earlier this year but think I'm going to pass due to already having a different version, the price point, and there being a few other upcoming releases that I need to budget for. I Wonder if this one will sell out and how quickly? Suntup's timing is also a bit unfortunate due to Gaiman's recent legal issues.
        I'm tempted as I do really enjoy Gaiman's work. Even if it doesn't always stick the landing, I always enjoy reading his prose. However, the price point is a sticking point for me. If money wasn't an option, then I'd probably be scrambling for a copy, but as it stands, I just don't think the budget will be that forgiving. I am also not a huge fan of the dustjacket art on the Classic Edition so that makes it easier for me. That Limited, though, is freaking gorgeous.

As far as Gaiman's legal issues, I'm also not easily put off by things like this and I'm also of the mindset that allegations are just that until proven otherwise. I don't think that his legal issues will have any impact on whether or not Suntup's edition sells out or not. I am of the mindset that this will sell out rather quickly. At $300 and with a print run of 1250, I don't see the Classic Edition increasing dramatically on the aftermarket. Frankly, I've seen the prices on some Suntup editions soften quite a bit. Though I think that is indicative of the overall market right now.

Comment

I'm of a similar mind, that while I had some initial (if moderate) interest a couple years ago to request to be added to the pre-order list, my situation at the immediate moment -- especially after a hefty Centipede purchase (Farris) back-to-back with a Thunderstorm purchase (Strand) less than a week ago -- doesn't really support that kind of $$$ output, particularly for a book that I didn't particularly enjoy when I read it a decade (?) or so ago. Gaiman's CORALINE is a special movie for our family, but I can't really count myself a fan of his work beyond that one (and I've actually never read the source book, though I do own the Subterranean and Lyra limited editions of it), so there's no impetus there, either. So between a tight budget, an unsatisfying reading experience, and not a Gaiman fan per se, it's hard to justify this one, other than the usual dose of FOMO...and given that all my books are still in their moving boxes and will likely stay that way for several more months, even that compulsion is tempered a bit, since the book wouldn't even be able to be shelved and displayed properly for a good while.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
            I'm of a similar mind, that while I had some initial (if moderate) interest a couple years ago to request to be added to the pre-order list, my situation at the immediate moment -- especially after a hefty Centipede purchase (Farris) back-to-back with a Thunderstorm purchase (Strand) less than a week ago -- doesn't really support that kind of $$$ output, particularly for a book that I didn't particularly enjoy when I read it a decade (?) or so ago. Gaiman's CORALINE is a special movie for our family, but I can't really count myself a fan of his work beyond that one (and I've actually never read the source book, though I do own the Subterranean and Lyra limited editions of it), so there's no impetus there, either. So between a tight budget, an unsatisfying reading experience, and not a Gaiman fan per se, it's hard to justify this one, other than the usual dose of FOMO...and given that all my books are still in their moving boxes and will likely stay that way for several more months, even that compulsion is tempered a bit, since the book wouldn't even be able to be shelved and displayed properly for a good while.
            On a completely different note than Gaiman, that Farris book is stinking stunning. I just unboxed mine today and I was very impressed with it. It's expensive, but such a great presentation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

On a completely different note than Gaiman, that Farris book is stinking stunning. I just unboxed mine today and I was very impressed with it. It's expensive, but such a great presentation.
              So jealous of you grabbing the Farris book.  Trying to talk myself into it as I really want a copy but the angel on my other shoulder keeps reminding me of a few upcoming books that I need to budget for as well as the Christmas holidays.

Comment

Working...
              X