Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Sorry. I am serious. I've watched the movie countless times because my wife is a fan. However it doesn't grab me at all. There is one scene I really like where Quint (sp?) flashes back to his war days but beyond that...

There is one movie which actually puts me to sleep and that is Avatar. Feel asleep three times, on three separate occasions, trying to watch that one. I never sleep during movies but that one is like a tranquilizer to me.

Ok. Fair enough. Incidentally, that one great scene you mentioned was written by John Milius (of Red Dawn, and many others). While I can't understand anyone not absolutely loving every frame of JAWS- I will agree with you on AVATAR- never got through it and I've no real desire to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
      I ordered my books right away. Thought that I may go back for the paperweight but the quick sellout saved me some money.
      I ordered the AE, then saw the print (already sold out) and the paperweight. I debated it for a few minutes, but really, it would just gather dust on a shelf, cool though it is. Next time I looked they were sold out, solving that dilemma.

Comment

Missed out on EVERYTHING because I was presenting a meeting yesterday at work.
        • Every edition looks fantastic. I really don't know which one I like the best, though right now I'm leaning towards the lettered as my favorite. I reserve the right to change my mind multiple times whenever the feeling hits, though.
        • Prices are still WAY out of my price range. Even the AE is pretty stinking expensive.
        • The new cover art for the AE is fantastic and I'm SUPER bummed that I missed on the print and the paperweight. Both are great, if pricey, and, frankly, I was more excited about those than the actual book, which is a first.
        • I'm tempted to enter the lottery for limited or lettered edition if any are available, though I doubt there will be. I'm sure I'll beg off once any are offered, because the prices are rather daunting and DUNE is still on the horizon. My internal battle wages on, though.
        • I can't remember if I've actually read the book before. I feel like I have and I have very clear memories of reading at least the first chapter in the library when I was like 11 or 12. I do remember reading Benchley's BEAST when it came out and remember finding it rather boring.
        Has the next book been confirmed as BLACKWATER by McDowell? If it is, I'm surprised we're getting another limited edition of it so soon as Centipede's edition was just published seven years ago. This would tempt me as I missed out on Centipede's edition, but, like THE AUCTIONEER, I'll probably lean towards just tracking down a copy of the Centipede edition to kill two birds with one stone, getting the title and filling a hole in the Centipede collection.

Comment

Scored an AE and paperweight, hoping to score a limited tomorrow if any are available. Completely scrolled by the print the first time and missed out. Otherwise, I would have scored that as well. I do have a line (see what I did there) on one aftermarket for at or near cost if I need to go that route.

I've never read the book but seeing the movie as a kid made me fall in love with sharks. I read everything I could get my hands on about them in my early years. I've been waiting for this Suntup treatment since the beginning.

Comment

I'm going to have to remove myself from the Suntup mailing list, because every time they publish something that I'm interested in, it's gone before I even click on the link. JAWS and THE EXORCIST are two of my favorite books/films, and I'm kicking myself for missing out on them. JAWS is especially painful, since I don't own a dozen other small-press versions of it, like I do with THE EXORCIST.
            http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
              I'm going to have to remove myself from the Suntup mailing list, because every time they publish something that I'm interested in, it's gone before I even click on the link. JAWS and THE EXORCIST are two of my favorite books/films, and I'm kicking myself for missing out on them. JAWS is especially painful, since I don't own a dozen other small-press versions of it, like I do with THE EXORCIST.
              Outside of another King or Hill book, I think if I'm able to complete a Jaws set I'll be done with Suntup for the foreseeable future. I can't really think of anymore books that I'd have to have at that level. That being said, I could see myself collecting the paperweights. Those are very nicely done.

Comment

I personally really don't understand the appeal of a $150 JAWS paperweight (what do paperweights have to do with Fine Press books?), but- that's what makes collecting interesting. And, while I am also one of those who've actually read the book and found it a bit bizarre and, ultimately disappointing- I would absolutely buy a numbered edition because that book looks great. All of the editions are wonderfully designed, but that numbered particularly. Wonder how many will be left? Any guesses?

Comment

Jeff Terry's interview with Wendy Benchley for us outsiders:
                  OVER YOUR SHELF: INTERVIEW with WENDY BENCHLEY - YouTube

Comment

Jeff Terry's interview with Wendy Benchley for us outsiders:
                    OVER YOUR SHELF: INTERVIEW with WENDY BENCHLEY - YouTube
                    t

You beat me to it. I wanted to share it here for those not on FB. Wendy was so gracious and friendly. Just a wonderful person.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                      t

You beat me to it. I wanted to share it here for those not on FB. Wendy was so gracious and friendly. Just a wonderful person.
                      Great interview, Jeff — really well done, very entertaining and informative.
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Great interview, Jeff — really well done, very entertaining and informative.
                        Well thank you, Ron!

Comment

Just received my AGE of "Silence of the Lambs". Another amazing production from Suntup! Love the slipcase and the dustjacket(s). Am so happy that I made this purchase. Have seen the movie a million times but never actually read the book. Am glad that I can finally remedy that and am interested to see if there are any differences between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                            Just received my AGE of "Silence of the Lambs". Another amazing production from Suntup! Love the slipcase and the dustjacket(s). Am so happy that I made this purchase. Have seen the movie a million times but never actually read the book. Am glad that I can finally remedy that and am interested to see if there are any differences between the two.
                            There are significant differences between the book and the movie. One of those rare cases where I think both are great but they are very different stories. Received my copy today and I did not remember that the dust jacket was double sided. Beautiful book!

Comment

Glad you all said this. My shipping email was in the spam folder for some reason. ETA on mine is 8/7/21.
                              Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

There are significant differences between the book and the movie. One of those rare cases where I think both are great but they are very different stories. Received my copy today and I did not remember that the dust jacket was double sided. Beautiful book!
                                Huh, I don't remember many (or any?) significant differences. In fact, I remember sitting there in the theater as the end credits rolled, exhilarated, and thinking: "Damn, they got it all on screen- amazing!". The other few times I had similar experiences- they're rare- were with "Shawshank", and- once I finally saw the extended editions on home video- Peter Jackson's The Lord of The Rings. Of course, my memory is absolute shit, so- wouldn't surprise me if I had forgotten parts of the book by the time I saw the movie. What were those major differences?
                                Last edited by swintek; 08-03-2021, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X