Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forthcoming books from Centipede this summer...an odd form of good news.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forthcoming books from Centipede this summer...an odd form of good news.

You know you have a slight problem with self-restraint when you get more excited about what you DON'T want from a publisher than what you DO want.

Centipede listed their forthcoming books for this summer, and my wallet and I felt a palpable sense of relief when there was only one that caught my interest.

Who Censored Roger Rabbit by Gary K. Wolf.

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill.

Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock.

Masters of Science Fiction by Richard Wilson.

Masters of the Weird Tale by Robert Aickman.

The Man Who Walked Through Cracks by R.A. Lafferty.

I'm sure the other books will be very fine volumes as per Jerad's usual high-quality design sense and production, but the titles just aren't for me, especially when I'm really trying to be more discerning to save some money and try to winnow down my massive TBR pile rather than add to it. Fortunately I'm not a completist and buy based only on what I want to read and collect, not by publisher, and in this case there's really only one I want to read, and that's WOMAN IN BLACK, an early '80s novel of some acclaim that for some reason I've never read. This new edition would seem a nice way to remedy that.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Two are “must haves” for me: The Woman in Black and the Aickman MotWT and the others are more wants. The only one I’m not interested in is the Elric book as I’m not much of a fantasy fan.

I’m with you on the impulse control. I picked up three CD lettered editions from eBay this week. They were good deals but definitely not budgeted for.

Comment

[QUOTE=I’m with you on the impulse control. I picked up three CD lettered editions from eBay this week. They were good deals but definitely not budgeted for.[/QUOTE] Perhaps this is why I've been into vintage paperbacks lately.

Cap
      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I think, I'm getting four: Who Censored Roger Rabbit by Gary K. Wolf, The Woman in Black by Susan Hill, Masters of the Weird Tale by Robert Aickman,
        The Man Who Walked Through Cracks by R.A. Lafferty. I've been buying the Lafferty set all along.

Comment

I did give some thought to the recent non-MotWT Aickman volume that Centipede released recently, but ultimately decided to pass, so that made this MotWT an easier pass. Aickman is, for me, one of those author whose work I admire but can't seem to quite enjoy enough to sit down and read for any length anymore...as I get older, I just seem to increasingly enjoy clarity of narrative more than stylistic ambiguity.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I'm interested in almost the entirety of that whole list and will strive to get as many as possible. But there's only one I can't live without and that's Elric of Melnibone. If I can't get a copy that's it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
              I'm interested in almost the entirety of that whole list and will strive to get as many as possible. But there's only one I can't live without and that's Elric of Melnibone. If I can't get a copy that's it for me.
              If you're worried about missing the chance to order it...shoot Kim at Camelot an email. She might be willing to go ahead and put you down for one, especially if you're a regular customer.

Comment

Working...
              X