• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    Good to know. Thank you! :-)
    Welcome!

Comment

I'm currently on a LITTLE BOOK reading binge. I just recently finished the Ramsey Campbell, Charles Grant, and Joe Hill books, and I'm halfway through the Jack Ketchum and Jonathan Maberry volumes. Maberry is a mystery to me....these stories are so bland and predictable that I just can't see how anyone can get any enjoyment out of them. Maberry, Campbell, and Grant are just not for me. Two of the four Grant stories were so "Quiet" that I had to read them twice just to try to comprehend what the point of the story was. (The second reading didn't help.) One other issue has greatly hampered my enjoyment of these books: They all suffer from HORRENDOUS proofreading. Misspellings abound, there are dropped words and sentences, sentence fragments, repeated sentences, repeated words...just a hot mess. This has always been an issue with Borderlands, and I'm sad to see that, decades after I was first irked by it, it continues to be an issue.
      http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I suspect Maberry's popularity has a lot to do with a combination of him being very easy to work with, being willing to say "yes" to almost anything, and being able to crank out words on a fast and consistent basis. As such, publishers love him and push his stuff hard, and he's made a lot of friends in the industry.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
          I'm currently on a LITTLE BOOK reading binge. I just recently finished the Ramsey Campbell, Charles Grant, and Joe Hill books, and I'm halfway through the Jack Ketchum and Jonathan Maberry volumes. Maberry is a mystery to me....these stories are so bland and predictable that I just can't see how anyone can get any enjoyment out of them. Maberry, Campbell, and Grant are just not for me. Two of the four Grant stories were so "Quiet" that I had to read them twice just to try to comprehend what the point of the story was. (The second reading didn't help.) One other issue has greatly hampered my enjoyment of these books: They all suffer from HORRENDOUS proofreading. Misspellings abound, there are dropped words and sentences, sentence fragments, repeated sentences, repeated words...just a hot mess. This has always been an issue with Borderlands, and I'm sad to see that, decades after I was first irked by it, it continues to be an issue.
          Try reading Edward Lee's Little Book About a Dollhouse. It's not quiet or subtle. I thought it was a great nasty little read.Probably had proofreading errors though.

I haven't read many of my Little Books. I should fix that.

Comment

I've got the whole set, Jeff, but I've only read one, I believe, until the past few weeks. (I read the Elizabeth Massie volume close to ten years ago, and that was it...) There are a LOT of books that I would have passed on in this series if it weren't for my collector's OCD, which I'm trying hard to overcome, but my mania to keep my number keeps me buying.

Comment

Yeah, the degree of errors in these LITTLE BOOKS makes one wonder if they’re proofread at all. And yet I still buy them...though I’ll probably reevaluate after this set is done. I like the concept, but three sets might be my limit.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                I am 1/3 of the way through Robert McCammon's Little Amber Book of Wicked Shots and I am happy to report that it is free of proofreading mistakes and spelling errors thus far. The first story was very good as well. Shocking and horrific, it really held my interest.

Comment

I'm gonna crack that McCammon open as soon as my copy arrives. I cannot wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
                    I am 1/3 of the way through Robert McCammon's Little Amber Book of Wicked Shots and I am happy to report that it is free of proofreading mistakes and spelling errors thus far. The first story was very good as well. Shocking and horrific, it really held my interest.
                    The story headers are messed up. It still shows the name of the first story a couple of pages into the second.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                      The story headers are messed up. It still shows the name of the first story a couple of pages into the second.
                      I am available for proofreading, Borderlands. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                        Yes, I had noticed that one. Also, in the last drink recipe, Moon Shot, the "2 oz. ginger ale" should be a separate, fourth bullet point ingredient. Still, this volume appears to be way cleaner than many of the previous little books.

Comment

Heads up--the pre-order for the 2nd Series 3 slipcase is live on the BP site.

https://www.borderlandspress.com/sho...-little-books/

Also, I've updated the list:

Published:
                          William F Nolan
                          Mort Castle
                          Tim Waggoner
                          Josh Malerman
                          Thomas Ligotti
                          Gahan Wilson
                          Caitlin Kiernan
                          Charles Grant
                          Ramsey Campbell
                          Robert McCammon

Soon to arrive:

Promised:
                          Richard Chizmar
                          Heather Graham
                          Owen King

Named but not confirmed:
                          Bentley Little
                          Stephen King
                          Blake Crouch

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                            Heads up--the pre-order for the 2nd Series 3 slipcase is live on the BP site.

https://www.borderlandspress.com/sho...-little-books/

Also, I've updated the list:

Published:
                            William F Nolan
                            Mort Castle
                            Tim Waggoner
                            Josh Malerman
                            Thomas Ligotti
                            Gahan Wilson
                            Caitlin Kiernan
                            Charles Grant
                            Ramsey Campbell
                            Robert McCammon

Soon to arrive:

Promised:
                            Richard Chizmar
                            Heather Graham
                            Owen King

Named but not confirmed:
                            Bentley Little
                            Stephen King
                            Blake Crouch
                            Thanks for the heads-up, got my pre-order in.

Comment

I think with the announcement of the Sarah Pinborough book we can pretty much write off Stephen King in Series III. I'm beginning to wonder how many of Little Books Borderlands has in the pipeline as there was even a hint of a Pinborough title until this announcement. It might be that Borderlands has a bunch of these titles lined up and is putting them out depending on when each title is completed. To keep Jeff's dream alive, it may be possible that there is a King book in the works, but it might keep getting delayed due to various reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                                I think with the announcement of the Sarah Pinborough book we can pretty much write off Stephen King in Series III. I'm beginning to wonder how many of Little Books Borderlands has in the pipeline as there was even a hint of a Pinborough title until this announcement. It might be that Borderlands has a bunch of these titles lined up and is putting them out depending on when each title is completed. To keep Jeff's dream alive, it may be possible that there is a King book in the works, but it might keep getting delayed due to various reasons.
                                I honestly don't think King is up to signing 500 to 750 copies. He only signed 250 copies of If It Bleeds.

Comment

Working...
                                X