A Long December by Richard Chizmar:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Long December by Richard Chizmar:

Subterranean Press has a now anthology up for pre-order from an author some here may be familiar with:

http://subterraneanpress.com/store/p..._long_december

From Subterranean Press:
    In 1996, Richard Chizmar’s debut short story collection, Midnight Promises, was a finalist for the World Fantasy Award. Publishers Weekly called it “a sterling collection” while singling out “The Silence of Sorrow” as “an understated masterpiece.”

Two years later, Subterranean Press published a mini-collection from Chizmar entitled Monsters and Other Stories. In his introduction, acclaimed genre critic Edward Bryant said, “When all is said and done, this book should leave you in utter silence, giving you time and opportunity to contemplate what you just read. Tough storytelling from a tough writer; but a writer who is not calloused. Chizmar possesses a finely honed gift of empathy. With utter grace and loving kindness he’ll put you right inside the life (and soul) of the monster.”

Now, nearly two decades later, Chizmar assembles thirty-five stories, including a previously-unpublished novella, and presents us with A Long December. This massive new collection features more than 150,000 words of Chizmar’s very best short fiction and includes 8,000 words of autobiographical Story Notes.

Eerie, suspenseful, poignant, the stories in A Long December range from horror to suspense, crime to dark fantasy, mainstream to mystery.

As New York Times bestselling author Scott Smith (A Simple Plan, The Ruins) notes: “It’s an idyllic little world Richard Chizmar has created. Boys fish in the shallows of a winding creek. A father tosses a baseball with his young son in the fading light of a summer day. There’s the smell of fresh-cut grass. And then, well…just beneath the surface? There are those missing pets whose collars turn up in a shoebox. Or the disturbing photos the dead can leave behind. Or the terrible thing you might find yourself doing when a long lost brother suddenly returns, demanding money. Chizmar does a tremendous job of peeling back his world’s shiny layers, revealing the rot that lies underneath. His stories feel like so many teeth: short and sharp and ready to draw blood.”

Limited: 1500 signed numbered hardcover copies

Table of Contents:

Blood Brothers
    The Man with X-Ray Eyes
    The Box
    Heroes
    Ditch Treasures
    The Silence of Sorrow
    After the Bombs
    Last Words
    Night Call
    The Lake is Life
    The Good Old Days
    Grand Finale
    The Artist
    Family Ties
    Mister Parker
    Monsters
    Like Father, Like Son
    The Tower
    Brothers
    Cemetery Dance
    Blue
    A Crime of Passion
    Homesick
    Devil’s Night
    Bride of Frankenstein: A Love Story
    The Season of Giving
    A Capital Cat Crime
    The Sinner King
    A Season of Change
    Midnight Promises
    The Night Shift
    Only the Strong Survive
    The Interview
    The Poetry of Life
    A Long December
    Story Notes

On Rich's Facebook page, he said that CD will offer inscribed copies. I wonder if that means there will be a trade edition too or will Rich inscribe the signed/numbered ones from Sub Press?

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
      On Rich's Facebook page, he said that CD will offer inscribed copies. I wonder if that means there will be a trade edition too or will Rich inscribe the signed/numbered ones from Sub Press?
      Thanks for letting me know this as I do not do Facebook. I will wait and order it from CD.

Comment

I am pretty sure there is only the regular signed and the lettered. I don't think there is a trade edition.

Comment

This sounds great! I'm gonna have to figure out a way to fit this into my budget. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
            I am pretty sure there is only the regular signed and the lettered. I don't think there is a trade edition.
            Based on Subterranean's site I would assume the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
              This sounds great! I'm gonna have to figure out a way to fit this into my budget. Thanks for the heads up!
              I am very pleased with the price of the limited.
              Last edited by Martin; 01-01-2016, 10:47 PM.

Comment

It is a great price indeed.

And Rich confirmed on FB that he will be inscribing the Sub Press limited.

Comment

Pulled the trigger on it this morning

Comment

Got my copy ordered on Monday. Going to be a slow book buying year. This one I have been anxiously awaiting for some time now. I have read a few of these stories in other anthologies. This one will move right to the top of my tbr pile.

Comment

I ordered this one too on Monday. Not sure how I want it inscribed (or if I want it inscribed.)

Embarrassingly enough, I believe that I've only read one of his stories before, and maybe a handful of intros and introductions (from SK Revisted for the most part.)

Not sure when we will have the actual book in our hands so I don't know where it'll fall in the TBR pile (which is really more of a TBR shelf ...)

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                        Going to be a slow book buying year.
                        That was my New Year's resolution. Up to now, I already spent more on King than I did in all of the previous year....ouch!

sk
                        Last edited by frik51; 01-09-2016, 05:54 AM.

Comment

I ordered this one too on Monday. Not sure how I want it inscribed (or if I want it inscribed.)

Embarrassingly enough, I believe that I've only read one of his stories before, and maybe a handful of intros and introductions (from SK Revisted for the most part.)

Not sure when we will have the actual book in our hands so I don't know where it'll fall in the TBR pile (which is really more of a TBR shelf ...)
                          I went ahead and had mine inscribed pretty much because I've never had anything in inscribed to me before so thought it'd be cool to own something like that. My readings of him are pretty much the same as yours although Brothers was a very good read.

Comment

Wow !!!! I don't have any new King books on order . Just the double day set. For me the books I want this year are City of Angels (book 3 in the Passage series) The Fireman by Mr. HILL The new Stephen King book in June and The new McCammon book. book Only other book on my list now is Rambo by David Morrell from Gauntlet Press. I am sure that there will be. Few more. However A Long December I s a pretty good start.
                            Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                            That was my New Year's resolution. Up to now, I already spent more on King that I did in all of the previous year....ouch!

sk

Comment

City of Angels -> City of Mirrors.

Comment

Working...
                              X