Fearie Tales - Deluxe Oversized Traycased Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fearie Tales - Deluxe Oversized Traycased Edition

This week's newsletter from PS Publishing, announced the exciting new anthology Fearie Tales. With contributor signatures taken from the likes of Ramsey Campbell, Christopher Fowler, Neil Gaiman, Joanne Harris, Markus Heitz, Brian Hodge, Tanith Lee, John Ajvide Lindqvist, Brian Lumley, Garth Nix, Reggie Oliver, Robert Shearman, Angela Slatter, Michael Marshall Smith and Peter Crowther - this is set to be an absolutely stunning collection of some of the finest dark fantasy out there.

Below is a synopsis of Fearie Tales taken from this week's newsletter from PS Publishing:

In 1884 Margaret Hunt's translation of the Brothers Grimm's Kinder- und Hausmärchen was published as Grimm's Household Tales—and since that day those stories have inspired writers, artists, poets, songwriters, playwrights and movie-makers the world over. Now, following in the grand tradition of the Brothers Jacob and Wilhelm, some of today's finest fantasy and horror writers have created their own brand-new fairy tales-but with a decidedly darker twist. Fearie Tales is a fantastical mix of spellbinding retellings of classic stories such as 'Cinderella', 'Rapunzel', 'Hansel and Gretel' and 'Rumpelstiltskin', amongst others, along with unsettling tales inspired by other childhood classics, all interspersed with the sources of their inspiration: the timeless stories first collected by the Brothers Grimm. But be warned: this stunning volume of frightening fables is definitely not suitable for children.

"Fearie Tales is a marvelous horror anthology of fairy tales. Each story is great in its own way and together they just work remarkably well to bring thrills and nightmares. All of them are terrifying and mesmerizing at the same time. The illustrations by Alan Lee are incredible and perfectly compliment the stories. Read it if you dare and see if you can keep your lights off during the night."
    —Aleksandra Kesek, FANTASY-FACTION.COM

"With Fearie Tales, noted horror anthologist Stephen Jones sets out to return the form to its roots. Using the original tales collected in the early 19th Century by the brothers Grimm as inspiration, Jones presents a collection of modern day fairy tales designed to frighten and unsettle, and written by some of the foremost practitioners of horror and dark fantasy currently working in their respective fields . . . This is a must for horror aficionados everywhere, and doubly so for anyone with a penchant for fairy tales in particular. Dark, disturbing but most of all: wonderful."
    —Matt Craig, READER DAD BOOK REVIEWS

"Deliciously dark and gruesome . . . refreshing and authentic, reflecting the true intention of the original storytellers, after decades of sugarcoated Disney fare."
    —STYLIST

"For a goosebump-raising story, look no further than the beautifully illustrated Fearie Tales, edited by Stephen Jones . . . All the time-honoured horror themes are here."
    —Russell Williams, METRO

Okay, is your interest piqued? I surely do hope so—interest received already in the project suggests these books are not going to hang around . . . and we’re making all pre-orders postage-free and allowing a 10% pre-order discount. So instead of the regular price of £249 ($399) plus postage, the all-in amount to pay is £224 ($359).

Feraie Tales Traycase.jpg Fearie Tales Artwork.jpg

http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/fearie...nes-2076-p.asp
    Last edited by T-Dogz_AK47; 03-14-2014, 09:09 PM.
    "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
    - Stephen King

Sounds and looks damn good. But with some preorders on the horizon and some back orders I want to get, I will probably pass on this one. Never know, some miracle money might change that.

Comment

Agree. I also thought that the price was a bit high for this.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
        Agree. I also thought that the price was a bit high for this.
        Well the last anthology produced for PS Publishing by editor Stephen Jones, was the awesome A Book of Horrors, which was priced at $999 for the Deluxe Oversized Traycased Edition. However, not only does this edition of Fearie Tales feature 15 contribution signatures from the likes of Neil Gaiman, John Ajvide Lindqvist, Peter Crowther, Michael Marshall Smith and Robert Shearman; it also features some 20 pieces of stunning artwork created by Alan Lee, who is the acclaimed artist involved with creating all of the conceptual art for both The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movie trilogies. That feature alone, makes this book very, very special!!!

It is expensive, but it sounds bloody awesome!!! I have already jumped on the pre-order discount full throttle!!!
        Last edited by T-Dogz_AK47; 03-15-2014, 11:18 PM.
        "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
        - Stephen King

Comment

I want this as well, but the price is prohibitive. It is a fantastic line up of authors, though. So tempted to blow my budget and get this...can you see the angel and devil on perched on each shoulder whispering in my ears?

Comment

Is there, say, a less deluxe version coming out?

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
              Is there, say, a less deluxe version coming out?
              Pete didn't mention anything about any other version being produced, so I don't think so...
              - Stephen King

Comment

Here is an image of the wrap around cover, which will have no text on it to spoil the artwork:

Faerie Tales image.jpg
                - Stephen King

Comment

Originally posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
                  Here is an image of the wrap around cover, which will have no text on it to spoil the artwork:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14861[/ATTACH]
                  Nice artwork, but not a fan of a book with no text on the cover. There should at least be something on the spine where you can see what it is when it's on the shelf
                  WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                  Spoiler!

Comment

It looks to be in a traycase, which will have writing on its spine.

Comment

I dig the art. The more i think on it, the more I want this book. I just can't afford $400 for a book at the moment. Fingers crossed for a trade or regular limited version.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe315 View Post
                        It looks to be in a traycase, which will have writing on its spine.
                        Yeah that's right, the traycase will have further artwork together with the book title on the spine. I think It looks absolutely stunning!!!

Feraie Tales Traycase.jpg
                        - Stephen King

Comment

I dig the art. The more i think on it, the more I want this book. I just can't afford $400 for a book at the moment. Fingers crossed for a trade or regular limited version.
                          If you're quick you can still catch the pre order discount Pete has applied to this book. He has offered a 10% discount which will take the price to $359 instead of $399.
                          - Stephen King

Comment

A trade edition is out in the UK and there will be a US one in September.
                            Last edited by CyberGhostface; 03-17-2014, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
                              If you're quick you can still catch the pre order discount Pete has applied to this book. He has offered a 10% discount which will take the price to $359 instead of $399.
                              Hahaha, I think $200 would be a bit much for me at this moment, but thanks for the tip. Good to hear there will be trade editions though. Any idea on the inclusion of art, or I imagine it's just the deluxe? Just love Alan Lee's work, his art was donned on all my old paperbacks of Lord of the Rings from the 90's. I used to just browse his art online and get swept away in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X