Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DARK GODS by T.E.D. Klein (Chiroptera Press)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DARK GODS by T.E.D. Klein (Chiroptera Press)

Subterranean Press sent out in their newsletter today an announcement for Chiroptera Press's new edition of Klein's DARK GODS. It's being offered in three different states: Regular ($100), Slipcased ($200), and Lettered Clamshelled ($600). I have no experience with this publisher, but I absolutely love this collection of novellas from Klein. I had passed on the PS edition from a few years back in the hopes of a more elaborate edition from another publisher. I don't know if Chiroptera's edition will hit the mark in that regard, but I'm tempted to pull the trigger. Though I do secretly hope that Centipede will do a matching set of the remaining novellas in DARK GODS to match their letterpress edition of CHILDREN OF THE KINGDOM as that edition is so incredibly nice.

Anybody picking this up, had experience with books from this press, or any thoughts in general?

Here's the link to the slipcased edition:
    https://chiropterapress.com/collecti...ipcase-edition

No experience with this press, but I did breathe a sigh of relief when I found the design elements of this Chiroptera edition underwhelming, so I can simply be content with my S/L PS edition (of a slightly lower limitation as well). Not that PS hit it out of the park, either, but in that regard they appear on the surface to be in the same subjective ballpark, so a $200 savings was a no-brainer. If I didn't have the PS edition, I'd very likely go for it, though...DARK GODS is a seminal genre volume, and a limited of it belongs in any serious collector's library, and this isn't a bad-looking edition.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I'm very tempted but think I will end up passing.  Looks like the SubPress slipcased version already sold-out!

Comment

I've a few of their Ligotti books (and a TON of their wonderful spoken word records via their Cadabra Records line) and I think they are nice- if a little overpriced (but, what isn't these days?). I also think they are still feeling their way with editions and formats. I mean, the Slipcased edition adds- a slipcase (and, as far as I can tell "Top Edge Staining", but that's it.). For 100% more. I think you offer all 474 copies- with a slipcase- for, say $125, do your 26 Clamshell Lettereds and Bob's your uncle. I really hate all these BS "tiers" that some folks do now. Just make the damn book as best you can- one edition, at a fair price (e.g. Centipede, usually). Anyway, rant over. I bought the $100 edition and will be happy to have it. I, too, have the P.S. edition, but find it underwhelming for such a seminal collection and will more than likely sell it to help fund this one which I'm sure will be an upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post
          I also think they are still feeling their way with editions and formats. I mean, the Slipcased edition adds- a slipcase (and, as far as I can tell "Top Edge Staining", but that's it.). For 100% more. I think you offer all 474 copies- with a slipcase- for, say $125, do your 26 Clamshell Lettereds and Bob's your uncle. I really hate all these BS "tiers" that some folks do now. Just make the damn book as best you can- one edition, at a fair price (e.g. Centipede, usually).
          That was my first reaction as well...the real differences between the low- and mid-tier editions were minor at best, but the price-increase percentage certainly was not.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

That was my first reaction as well...the real differences between the low- and mid-tier editions were minor at best, but the price-increase percentage certainly was not.
            Joining into agreement about this point as well. I know slipcases are not necessarily cheap, but I agree with Swintek that I don't know if three levels were necessarily needed for this production. It seems that a middle ground could have been easily struck. I also am wondering about the jump to $600 for the lettered. The description doesn't necessarily sell me on the 300% increase in cost of the slipcased edition, but, you know, Centipede undersells the production qualities of their books all the time, so this might look a lot nicer in hand than in description.

I'm also not too keen on these art portfolio editions that we've been seeing. I know that some people seem to really enjoy these, but they are just not my jam and I'd much rather see the cost for that either cut from the price of the book or folded into better quality production materials. This is just a personal preference and not a complaint.

Comment

I remember buying editions like this, sans the slipcase, at a $35 price point. I still have trouble wrapping my mind around the inflation that drove this.

*I would like to preface this by saying $100 doesn't appear to be a bad price point in this day and age. I do not wish to knock this edition. I applaud folks for continue the tradition of publishing, allowing new collectors to discover great works, and provide opportunities for library building.*
              Last edited by Ben Staad; 09-14-2024, 01:27 PM.
              Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                I remember buying editions like this, sans the slipcase, at a $35 price point. I still have trouble wrapping my mind around the inflation that drove this.

*I would like to preface this by saying $100 doesn't appear to be a bad price point in this day and age. I do not wish to knock this edition. I applaud folks for continue the tradition of publishing, allowing new collectors to discover great works, and provide opportunities for library building.*
                I completely agree with all this.

Comment

Working...
                X