Conversation Tree Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conversation Tree Press

Just received Joe Hills 'Faun' Standard edition from Conversation Tree Press. They have only offered 3 books as of yet and I think Faun is the first to ship. I thought I would start a thread about the publisher. Conversation Tree Press

Joe Hills Faun:
    From the publishers site:
    Our edition of Faun is limited to 736 copies and is published in four states: Standard, Deluxe, and Lettered, which are covered on this page, and the Roman Numeral, which has its own page.

All copies are signed by author Joe Hill and artist Francois Vaillancourt, who contributed 12 full colour pieces of art and 3 pen and ink drawings which are printed letterpress.

The books are letterpress-printed by Nomad Letterpress and hand bound by Ludlow Bookbinders. The text is set in Perpetua, which was cast on Nomad’s Monotype machine. The page count is 50 pages + front and back matter + 12 tipped in pages of artwork.

To mark the transition from the world as we know it to the ever-twilight lands of Palinode, a single sheet of copper-coloured Lokta paper is inserted at the start of the second part of each book. This Nepalese handmade paper is screenprinted by hand in copper ink and air-dried, producing sheets with variations in the patterns and textures.

As of today 12/04/2023 the publisher has copies available of the Standard and Deluxe editions.

Comment

Gorgeous looking books. I will drool from a distance.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        Just received Joe Hills 'Faun' Standard edition from Conversation Tree Press. They have only offered 3 books as of yet and I think Faun is the first to ship. I thought I would start a thread about the publisher. Conversation Tree Press
        Congrats! I really like all the art for Faun. I initially considered Faun myself as I'm a huge Hill fan, as I'm sure most others are on this forum; however, ultimately, I passed due to the price point and preferring books that have dustjackets. Once I saw their price for Flowers for Algernon, I pretty much knew that this press isn't really going to be something for me due to price. Pretty much the same way that I feel about Curious King who this press kind of reminds me of for some reason.

Comment

My initial impressions of the standard edition of Faun:

Wait from order to delivery was reasonable. Ordered on 09/10/2023 and delivered 12/04/2023.
          Packing for shipment was as good as it gets. Think Suntup or Lividian.
          IMG_4062.JPEG

The book itself is simple in design and appropriate for the story:
          IMG_4063.JPEGIMG_4064.JPEG
          Textured black endpapers that do not transalte well in the photo.IMG_4065.JPEGIMG_4066.JPEG
          Last edited by Martin; 12-04-2023, 11:28 PM.

Comment

The interior is beautiful. The paper is a premium cream colored paper, combined with the font it is, for me, perfect for reading without eye strain. As you can see the images on the back side are visible through the paper but it is not noticeable on the text pages.
            IMG_4067.JPEGIMG_4068.JPEG

Comment

The art is printed on glossy white thick stock and presents the art as well as any book I own:
              IMG_4069.JPEGIMG_4070.JPEGIMG_4073.JPEG

Comment

The sheet that divides the two parts of the story is unique and stunning:
                IMG_4071.JPEGIMG_4072.JPEG

The signature sheet is your standard unnumbered sheet and placed at the back of the book:
                IMG_4074.JPEG

Overall I feel I got value for my $225 investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                  Gorgeous looking books. I will drool from a distance.
                  Totally get it. Not sure how many books I will buy from them, but I am glad I purchased this one.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Congrats! I really like all the art for Faun. I initially considered Faun myself as I'm a huge Hill fan, as I'm sure most others are on this forum; however, ultimately, I passed due to the price point and preferring books that have dustjackets. Once I saw their price for Flowers for Algernon, I pretty much knew that this press isn't really going to be something for me due to price. Pretty much the same way that I feel about Curious King who this press kind of reminds me of for some reason.
                    I believe both publishers are using Ludlow for binding so the comparison is fair.

Comment

Beautiful book, Martin, thanks for sharing pics. I don’t regret passing on this one, but I can certainly see why you’re fond of it.
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Thank you for showing us Faun! I think it's a beautiful production and Francois' art is always stunning. I think they did a great job on page design as well. I think now that these are shipping, people will buy up the remaining stock.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                          Thank you for showing us Faun! I think it's a beautiful production and Francois' art is always stunning. I think they did a great job on page design as well. I think now that these are shipping, people will buy up the remaining stock.
                          I think . . . I think . . . I think . . .

Comment

Complete that thought.

I think . . . I think . . . I think . . .
                            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I try not to think, but I do feel that the standard edition will be available for a good amount of time. The limitation of 500 at $225 will take a while to find enough willing buyers to clear them out. Who knows, it may take long enough that deals are readily available for it. I purchased Knowing Darkness well over a year after it came out for under $100, well off the original price of $395. 

Comment

Working...
                              X