John Scalzi's Kaiju Preservation Society virtual event March 14th:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Scalzi's Kaiju Preservation Society virtual event March 14th:

Barnes and Noble is hosting a virtual book launch with John Scalzi for his next release 'The Kaiju Preservation Society'.

Monday, March 14th 4PM Pacific.
    Price is $37.65 and includes admission, A signed book and a laptop sticker. The price includes shipping.

John Scalzi celebrates THE KAIJU PRESERVATION SOCIETY! (barnesandnoble.com)

Sounds like a cool book. I'm not sure about attending the Q&A event virtually though. From my experience with Zoom (and the like) it all feels so sterile and impersonal.

Edit: Thanks for the heads-up.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Barnes and Noble is hosting a virtual book launch with John Scalzi for his next release 'The Kaiju Preservation Society'.

Monday, March 14th 4PM Pacific.
    Price is $37.65 and includes admission, A signed book and a laptop sticker. The price includes shipping.

John Scalzi celebrates THE KAIJU PRESERVATION SOCIETY! (barnesandnoble.com)
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
      Sounds like a cool book. I'm not sure about attending the Q&A event virtually though. From my experience with Zoom (and the like) it all feels so sterile and impersonal.

Edit: Thanks for the heads-up.

This will be the first virtual event I attend. In person Scalzi is a fun event. Time will teel if it translates over the internet. The story intrigues me and I need some new Scalzi to read!

Comment

As an FYI I attended a portion of a mixed virtual event (people were there live and online) last night for author Peter Clines. I enjoyed hearing the author speak about their book, the process of writing their latest book, and then they started taking some questions. I was able to ask a few questions via an online chat.

All that being said I did enjoy the event. It did lack that personal experience but wasn't necessarily sterile feeling. I may do something like this again but it doesn't compare, for me, to a live event.

This will be the first virtual event I attend. In person Scalzi is a fun event. Time will teel if it translates over the internet. The story intrigues me and I need some new Scalzi to read!
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

That was a fun read! Sci Fi comedy with a strong tie to classic Godzilla movies! I so wish Scalzi would publish at a faster pace.
          Side notes on the virtual event and Barnes & Noble shipping:
          It took me 13 minutes to get the Zoom to work so I missed a story about the book Scalzi abandoned prior to writing this one. Fortunately, that store is the afterword of the book, so I was able to read it. The event felt rather sterile, nothing like his live appearances.
          Barnes & Noble shipped the book lightning fast after the event which was great. I had the book in hand three days after the event. The book was a flat signed 1st, I was expecting a tipped in sheet. The bad part is the packing was not good. The book was loose in an oversized padded envelope. The top and bottom of the dust jacket has some damage. This was literally a step below how I get books from Amazon.

Comment

That was a fun read! Sci Fi comedy with a strong tie to classic Godzilla movies! I so wish Scalzi would publish at a faster pace.
            Side notes on the virtual event and Barnes & Noble shipping:
            It took me 13 minutes to get the Zoom to work so I missed a story about the book Scalzi abandoned prior to writing this one. Fortunately, that store is the afterword of the book, so I was able to read it. The event felt rather sterile, nothing like his live appearances.
            Barnes & Noble shipped the book lightning fast after the event which was great. I had the book in hand three days after the event. The book was a flat signed 1st, I was expecting a tipped in sheet. The bad part is the packing was not good. The book was loose in an oversized padded envelope. The top and bottom of the dust jacket has some damage. This was literally a step below how I get books from Amazon.
            That’s really unfortunate, sorry to hear it. My copy from Flyleaf was also sent in just a padded envelope, but did manage to arrive in close to new condition, with just a touch of bumping on one spine end. Some bookstores really need to step up their shipping game.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
              That’s really unfortunate, sorry to hear it. My copy from Flyleaf was also sent in just a padded envelope, but did manage to arrive in close to new condition, with just a touch of bumping on one spine end. Some bookstores really need to step up their shipping game.
              Finding books on release day has become near impossible around here these days, even at Powell's and Barnes & Noble. Due to that I have turned to online stores more. The plus is it is easier to find signed editions, the minus is that most ack in the packaging department. Also received Ocean State from Capricio Books this week. They packaged the book in a tight box so I hoped it would be in good shape. Unfortunately the dust jacket also had minor damage.

Comment

Working...
              X