Stygian Sky Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Thanks for the info! Have you read the Juniper books? I've never heard of them or Jeffrey, but the reviews on Goodreads are solid.
    Haven't read them yet, but, have been wanting to for quite awhile. I remember first hearing about them around the time Tome was nominated for a Stoker award. I read the description and it sounded right up my alley; however, once I determined that there wasn't a hardcover option for either Juniper or Tome, I passed. Just not enough space in my library to start collecting paperbacks, even if it has caused me to miss out on some books that I really want to read such as Andy Davidson's last one. When I saw that they were getting a proper hard-cover release, I figured it was the right time to finally give them a chance, especially with the hardcover option being limited and (most) likely not to be reprinted again in the future. Add into that, much like yourself, I have seen the stellar reviews on GoodReads which also works in its favor. Also like to try new horror authors, especially when they have reviews from author authors or reviewers that I respect.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Haven't read them yet, but, have been wanting to for quite awhile. I remember first hearing about them around the time Tome was nominated for a Stoker award. I read the description and it sounded right up my alley; however, once I determined that there wasn't a hardcover option for either Juniper or Tome, I passed. Just not enough space in my library to start collecting paperbacks, even if it has caused me to miss out on some books that I really want to read such as Andy Davidson's last one. When I saw that they were getting a proper hard-cover release, I figured it was the right time to finally give them a chance, especially with the hardcover option being limited and (most) likely not to be reprinted again in the future. Add into that, much like yourself, I have seen the stellar reviews on GoodReads which also works in its favor. Also like to try new horror authors, especially when they have reviews from author authors or reviewers that I respect.
      Thanks for the response. I was kinda hoping that you had read the books and would give it a glowing review so I would be able to blame you for an unplanned and impulsive purchase. Now I'm going to have to actually mull it over a bit. I do have two books I need to purchase from Thunderstorm so that might impact my ability to get these.

Your comments about paperback purchases is almost exactly my line of thinking. There are so many books, but I have such limited amount of money and bookshelf space. I have to draw the line somewhere, I guess.

Comment

Cool. I have not read these or the author but they sound like something in my wheelhouse. I looked at Amazon reviews and they were mostly positive. Beware though that they contained some spoilers. Those SOB reviewers! LOL LOL

After some digging, it looks like the Ross Jeffrey Juniper Trilogy books are limited to 200 copies. Not sure on the other details yet...
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Just buy them. They are limited to 200 copies for goodness sake. I'm sure you can sneak a couple hundred into your budget.

Thanks for the response. I was kinda hoping that you had read the books and would give it a glowing review so I would be able to blame you for an unplanned and impulsive purchase. Now I'm going to have to actually mull it over a bit. I do have two books I need to purchase from Thunderstorm so that might impact my ability to get these.

Your comments about paperback purchases is almost exactly my line of thinking. There are so many books, but I have such limited amount of money and bookshelf space. I have to draw the line somewhere, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
            Just buy them. They are limited to 200 copies for goodness sake. I'm sure you can sneak a couple hundred into your budget.

I wish my budget was flexible enough to allow an extra couple hundred dollars to slide in unnoticed. LIfe goals, I guess!

Comment

Looks like this project was cancelled for some reason. I just received a refund with no explanation. I emailed them to find out what is up.

After some digging, it looks like the Ross Jeffrey Juniper Trilogy books are limited to 200 copies. Not sure on the other details yet...

Comment

Looks like this project was cancelled for some reason. I just received a refund with no explanation. I emailed them to find out what is up.

Yeah, my refund is pending w/PayPal but was issued as well. They posted an explanation on their twitter page. Wish they would have also posted it to their actual webpage too, since I do not use Twitter, but, I guess that is asking too much. The gist of their explanation was that they didn't think they could devote the time to give these book the treatment that they deserve and so decided not to publish them. Wish they would have realized that before taking the project on and offering the pre-order. I feel especially bad for the author as he seems like a nice guy and this series of books is his claim-to-fame (so far). I am happy that Stygian issued the refunds so quickly; however, I'm pretty annoyed by this cancelation, especially as I passed on picking up some other titles to grab this $200 set. Oh well, perhaps I will use this refund on today's Suntup announcement or on some Thunderstorm press books since I think they have been knocking it out of the park lately.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm not on twitter either so had no idea. Went to their site and couldn't even find the book.

Glad they issued a refund. Many folks have lost money with other companies when things like this happen.

Yeah, my refund is pending w/PayPal but was issued as well. They posted an explanation on their twitter page. Wish they would have also posted it to their actual webpage too, since I do not use Twitter, but, I guess that is asking too much. The gist of their explanation was that they didn't think they could devote the time to give these book the treatment that they deserve and so decided not to publish them. Wish they would have realized that before taking the project on and offering the pre-order. I feel especially bad for the author as he seems like a nice guy and this series of books is his claim-to-fame (so far). I am happy that Stygian issued the refunds so quickly; however, I'm pretty annoyed by this cancelation, especially as I passed on picking up some other titles to grab this $200 set. Oh well, perhaps I will use this refund on today's Suntup announcement or on some Thunderstorm press books since I think they have been knocking it out of the park lately.

Comment

I contacted the author and he stated he is working towards self publishing all three books in the series. Let me know if you hear anything going forward.

Comment

This is disappointing. I hadn't yet pulled the trigger on the set, but had planned to do so. While on one hand it's admirable for the publisher to not let this set linger indefinitely causing frustration with their customers, I'm also now kind of hesitant to pull the trigger on one of their titles since there is a possibility of it being canceled. It's an unfortunate situation and misstep for the company.

Comment

Agreed.

On a positive note the author has set up a mailing list. Check it out here.

https://www.getrevue.co/profile/rossjeffery_

This is disappointing. I hadn't yet pulled the trigger on the set, but had planned to do so. While on one hand it's admirable for the publisher to not let this set linger indefinitely causing frustration with their customers, I'm also now kind of hesitant to pull the trigger on one of their titles since there is a possibility of it being canceled. It's an unfortunate situation and misstep for the company.

Comment

I contacted the author and he stated he is working towards self publishing all three books in the series. Let me know if you hear anything going forward.

Absolutely! Thanks for posting the author newsletter link as well. Just signed-up.

Comment

Working...
                          X