PS Publishing is now Off my list permanently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS Publishing is now Off my list permanently

The good news -- I got a #'ed copy of the Dead Zone from PS Publishing and I'm thrilled with the copy I received. The bad news -- This is my last order from PS Publishing. I've noticed some production quality issues with two books. I've contacted the appropriate people at PS Publishing and they IMO have done nothing beyond admitting what I've pointed out to them. So two books from them will most likely be in my next round of eBay auctions. I don't intend for this to be a "bashing" thread, I've simply had enough and will not order from them again.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

In terms of materials and craftsmanship, their books aren't even in the same league with many other small genre publishers--which is a real shame, since the content of many PS books (a new edition of Dark Gods springs to mind as well as a collection of Albert Cowdrey's short stories) is amazing. It's a wonder that some of the specialty presses here (CD, Centipede, SubPress) don't get contracts for the books that PS publishes.

Comment

I bought 'The Stand' from PS Publishing and couldn't believe they let it out with how badly the dust jacket looks on Book II. They could have just reprinted the one jacket and mailed it out at some point.

Comment

Just curious as to the issues with the books. I've been thinking of getting them but have yet to pull the trigger

Comment

Originally posted by Parviz View Post
          Just curious as to the issues with the books. I've been thinking of getting them but have yet to pull the trigger
          For myself, I was irked by lack of editing. That's all I care to say here. I will add that I hope I do not find more of this same issue in the other PS Publishing books I've purchased and not yet read~Cap
          Last edited by c marvel; 04-26-2021, 05:22 PM. Reason: See my post.
          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

The limited editions from the publishers I mentioned upthread (Cemetery Dance, Centipede, SubPress) almost always have heavy cloth on the boards and foil stamps; heavy (60-80#) acid-free paper; Smyth-sewn (and sometimes over-sewn) binding, and heavy (sometimes hand-marbled) endpapers. PS books, on the other hand, usually have paper on their boards (often a reproduction of the image on the dusts jacket), no foil stamps, and the bindings are glued. The glued binding is especially disconcerting, since it doesn't take much to crack it. I've noticed in some of their older books, from the early 2000s, the paper is starting to acidify, so they probably don't use alkaline paper, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Parviz View Post
              My copy of Christine has a lot of badly cut pages. There are some pages where the last line of text on the page is cut in half because the pages were misaligned in production. It was too late to get a new copy by the time I noticed it.

Comment

I was never big on PS books due to several factors:

1) small trim size
                2) thin paper
                3) poor artwork pages. looks more like a good home color printer quality

Comment

Working...
                X