Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earthling 2021 Halloween Book

Dear all,

Thought I'd announced next year's Halloween Series book earlier than usual this time around. Maybe because this one is a bit ahead of the game. The manuscript is done, I've read it and loved it, the art is underway, and an author has agreed to write an introduction! Earthling's 2021 Halloween Series novel is:

BOYS IN THE VALLEY
    by
    Philip Fracassi

St. Vincent's Orphanage for Boys.

Turn of the century, in a remote valley in Pennsylvania.

Here, under the watchful eyes of several priests, 30 boys work and learn and worship. They live their lives in a methodical way and get along despite different personalities and pasts. Peter Barlow, orphaned by a nighttime murder at his childhood home, has made a new life here. As he approaches adulthood, he has friends, a future...a family.

Then, late one stormy night, a group of men arrive at their door, one of whom is badly wounded, his body covered with occult symbols carved into his flesh. Upon his death, an ancient evil is released that infests St. Vincent's and the children within. Soon, boys begin acting differently, forming groups. Taking sides.

Others turn up dead.

Now Peter and those dear to him must choose sides of their own, each of them knowing their lives -- and perhaps their eternal souls -- are at risk.

Fracassi has been called "a superior storyteller" (This Is Horror), "the next big horror writer to blow your mind" (Lit Reactor), and "especially skillful at creating and sustaining suspense (The New York Times). To learn more about the author in his own words, check out a podcast from last week in which he was interviewed:

Dec 21 Fracassi interview

More details and ordering information coming next year. I hope you enjoyed the early news and the synopsis!

All best,
    Paul

Yeah, Philip!! Looking forward to this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post
      Yeah, Philip!! Looking forward to this one.
      So am I!

I've enjoyed just about everything I've read by Fracassi.

For those unfamiliar with his work, his short story collection Into the Void is great (and very dark). Highly recommended.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

So am I!

I've enjoyed just about everything I've read by Fracassi.

For those unfamiliar with his work, his short story collection Into the Void is great (and very dark). Highly recommended.

B
        Do you mean "Behold the Void" by chance? Not familiar with this author and that collection is available on Audible so I may give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Do you mean "Behold the Void" by chance? Not familiar with this author and that collection is available on Audible so I may give it a try.
          Yes that is correct

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post

Yes that is correct
            Thanks. I am going to give that one a try.

Comment

Yes. Behold the Void, not into the void.

My bad!

B

Comment

If anyone is interested, here is my review of Boys in the Valley...

Philip Fracassi is having an exceptional 2021. He recently published Beneath a Pale Sky, his short story collection, and a novella entitled Commodore, which sold out pre-publication. But that isn’t the end of his exciting 2021 news! He is also publishing Boys in the Valley, his debut novel. And what a debut it is!

Boys in the Valley takes you to St. Vincent’s Orphanage for Boys, located within a secluded Pennsylvanian valley in the early 1900s. You are introduced to the key players of the tale and get a brief glimpse into the conditions and strict routines that this orphanage adheres to. Things are then shaken up in the middle of the night when several men arrive at the orphanage. They’ve brought with them a badly wounded man covered in occult markings, seeking medical attention and salvation for the man’s soul. The man passes away, but it becomes apparent that whatever demons lurked within him have been released. Some of the boys begin acting differently and the boys find themselves taking sides in the eternal battle of good versus evil.

That last sentence may sound a bit cliché, but Fracassi’s debut is nothing of the sort! Instead, Boys in the Valley masterfully combines the horrors of The Exorcist with the primal fears of Lord of the Flies. From the moment of the knock on that orphanage door to the final pages, the story sinks its teeth in and doesn’t let go. There is never a dull moment in between. Even the quieter chapters are packed with sincere character building, unrelenting dread, or sheer anticipation. When the story does erupt into high-paced action, the chaos is handled skillfully.
                Fracassi introduces a wide variety of characters and while many of them may not get too many details, the primary cast is certainly sufficient. At the center of the story is Peter, one of the oldest boys at the orphanage and a role model to the others. He is on his way to joining the priesthood, but is conflicted by his feelings towards the girl at the nearest farm. His chapters are presented in first-person which helps to add depth as he deals with his haunted past and struggles with the choices of his future. He may come off as a bit too “goody two-shoes” at times, but his character arc is heartfelt and satisfying.

The two other characters that really shine are Father Francis and Brother Johnson. The former acts as the moral compass and mentor to Peter, while the latter is an aggressive individual serving the orphanage in lieu of a prison sentence. Francis shines in his leadership role when the orphanage descends into chaos, while Johnson has a heartbreaking past and an exquisitely beautiful character arc. Many of the orphans themselves tend to have simpler characterizations (there’s the shy one, the one with the violent past, the two that act and think like twins, etc.), but that is to be expected with such a large cast of characters. Even so, none of these less-detailed characters feel out of place and they all play their parts quite well.
                The first fifty pages of the novel do an excellent job with introducing all of the characters and their routines without getting boring. The man with the occult symbols on him arrives at around the fiftieth page and the story truly gets addictive from then on out. If I may break the fourth wall here, I personally could not put the title down. I consider myself a casual reader in terms of my reading speed; I may finish a book within a week or two. Such was not the case with this title, which I sped through in less than three days. And even then, it only took me three days because a holiday and a workday got in my way!

Philip Fracassi’s short stories always left me wanting more. Nearly each story in Beneath a Pale Sky gave me a glimpse into worlds that I wanted to visit. I’m thankful to say that Boys in the Valley allowed to me have a full-length journey into one of Fracassi’s worlds and it was a far more satisfying story than I could have imagined. This is a triumph of a debut novel and I can’t wait to see what Philip Fracassi publishes next!

Boys in the Valley is being published on Halloween of 2021 via Earthling Publications. Copies of the signed limited edition are still available, though they may not last long once people begin to experience the novel for themselves. This limited edition is the only available copy of the novel for the time being, though you may want to follow Philip Fracassi (https://pfracassi.com/) for future trade editions or further publications.

Thank you very much to Paul Miller at Earthling Publications for the Advance Uncorrected Proof of the title. I promised a fair and honest review of the title and my words are completely sincere. Ahlborn’s Dark Across the Bay was a very good title that I finished in a little over a week, but Fracassi’s Boys in the Valley was a phenomenal title that I finished in two marathon sittings because I could not put it down! I cannot wait to get my hands on the limited edition!

Comment

SPLYNC. I will hold off on reading your review for now as I broke down and ordered the book.

Comment

Between you and jeffingoff , I feel like by opting not to order a copy I really missed a special experience w/ BOYS IN THE VALLEY, and I may need to fix that.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I ordered a copy a week or so ago even though I technically had already spent my monthly book buying budget. At the price point, and with the reviews, I felt like it was something I would feel regret by passing on.

It's been a bit since I've read a new author and was actually grabbed by them. Fingers crossed that I like his writing.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                      Between you and jeffingoff , I feel like by opting not to order a copy I really missed a special experience w/ BOYS IN THE VALLEY, and I may need to fix that.
                      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                        I ordered a copy a week or so ago even though I technically had already spent my monthly book buying budget. At the price point, and with the reviews, I felt like it was something I would feel regret by passing on.

It's been a bit since I've read a new author and was actually grabbed by them. Fingers crossed that I like his writing.

Will be curious to hear your take on it, see if it matches others’. One more enthusiastic review and I won’t be able to sit on the fence any longer with this one. Too many hyped new authors with ultimately disappointing works has probably made me unjustifiably wary…maybe BOYS is the one to turn that attitude around.
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Received my copy from Earthling today. It is a beautiful book. Somehow it was shipped stealth. Never received a shipping notice, which is not unusual but it was shipped USPS and never appeared on my informed delivery.

Comment

Received my copy from Earthling today. It is a beautiful book. Somehow it was shipped stealth. Never received a shipping notice, which is not unusual but it was shipped USPS and never appeared on my informed delivery.
                            I find informed delivery to be INCREDIBLY hit or miss with packages, specially ones too large to fit in a mailbox.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post

I find informed delivery to be INCREDIBLY hit or miss with packages, specially ones too large to fit in a mailbox.
                              The only package prior to this that never showed up on Informed Deliver was an SST book that was shipped Royal Mail and passed to USPS. I have had other books from the UK pop into Informed Delivery when they left customs. Todays package is now on Informed Delivery as delivered and I received an email that it was delivered about 30 minutes after I brought it in.

Comment

Working...
                              X