John Ajvide Lindqvist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Ajvide Lindqvist

Has anybody read anything by John Ajvide Lindqvist besides Let the Right One In? I am going to read LTROI soon and was curious about his other titles. No spoilers.

I've read LtROI, and enjoyed it...7.5/10. I subsequently tried HARBOR and it was a DNF (Did Not Finish). Based on HARBOR, I haven't been spurred to try another, but I AM BEHIND YOU sounds pretty intriguing, so I may end up giving him a third shot.

Four families wake up one morning in their trailer on an ordinary campsite. However, during the night something strange has happened. Everything outside the camping grounds has disappeared, and the world has been transformed into an endless expanse of grass. The sky is blue, but there is no sign of the sun; there are no trees, no flowers, no birds. And every radio plays nothing but the songs of sixties pop icon Peter Himmelstrand.

As the holiday-makers try to come to terms with what has happened, they are forced to confront their deepest fears and secret desires. Past events that each of them has tried to bury rise to the surface and take on terrifying physical forms. Can any of them find a way back to reality?
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I just read his short story in the Shining in the Dark anthology. I really liked it but the translation was wonky in places. I remember one part where it read something like: "She removed the dishes from the table and took them to the relevant area." Stuff like that ruined the experience a little. But the story was good.

Comment

All this talk on the Suntup thread made me buy LTROI since I haven't ever read it (and if I'm honest, I've never even heard of it before.)

I almost bought the bluray, but since it's on Hulu on the moment, I want to give it a watch before committing to owning it. And I realize it's different than the book, but I'm curious.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
          All this talk on the Suntup thread made me buy LTROI since I haven't ever read it (and if I'm honest, I've never even heard of it before.)

I almost bought the bluray, but since it's on Hulu on the moment, I want to give it a watch before committing to owning it. And I realize it's different than the book, but I'm curious.
          I assume you know, but there is a U.S. and also a Swedish (I believe) movie.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
            I've read LtROI, and enjoyed it...7.5/10. I subsequently tried HARBOR and it was a DNF (Did Not Finish). Based on HARBOR, I haven't been spurred to try another, but I AM BEHIND YOU sounds pretty intriguing, so I may end up giving him a third shot.
            If you couldn’t finish Harbor I would not recommend I Am Behind You. It’s slow and weird and by the end I couldn’t make heads or tails of what was going on.

What I would recommend — and this goes to everyone — is Little Star. In my opinion it’s Lindqvist’s best work and one of the best horror novels of the past twenty years.

It’s about two teenage girls, one who has been raised in isolation for most of her life and one who is an outcast among her peers and what happens when they meet. Trying to be vague to prevent spoilers but it is a horror novel so it’s safe to say bad things eventually happen.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberGhostface View Post

If you couldn’t finish Harbor I would not recommend I Am Behind You. It’s slow and weird and by the end I couldn’t make heads or tails of what was going on.

What I would recommend — and this goes to everyone — is Little Star. In my opinion it’s Lindqvist’s best work and one of the best horror novels of the past twenty years.

It’s about two teenage girls, one who has been raised in isolation for most of her life and one who is an outcast among her peers and what happens when they meet. Trying to be vague to prevent spoilers but it is a horror novel so it’s safe to say bad things eventually happen.
              Thanks for the caution on I AM BEHIND YOU...I’ll give it a pass, based on your take of it. Unfortunately, LITTLE STAR holds no appeal for me...I’ve looked at that one before, and the whole young girls in some sort of Eurovision/Idol setting just does flip my switch. I’m not big on music themes in horror fiction to begin with, and even less so here.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I read Little Star last week, and liked it. I know I read Harbor a while back, but from what I remember it wasn't my thing.

I also have I am Behind You, Let the Old Dreams Die, and Handling the Undead, but I haven't gotten to them yet. Based on comments above, I am Behind You will be last on the list

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                  I read Little Star last week, and liked it. I know I read Harbor a while back, but from what I remember it wasn't my thing.

I also have I am Behind You, Let the Old Dreams Die, and Handling the Undead, but I haven't gotten to them yet. Based on comments above, I am Behind You will be last on the list
                  Yeah that's probably a good idea. I don't want to discourage anyone from reading it. It's not a bad book it's just a difficult one. It's like something David Lynch would write.

Also Let the Old Dreams Die has 'epilogue' stories to both Let the Right One In and Handling the Undead so you should read it after those if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberGhostface View Post
                    Also Let the Old Dreams Die has 'epilogue' stories to both Let the Right One In and Handling the Undead so you should read it after those if you can.
                    Thanks, I'll hang to it until after I get the Suntup edition of LTROI, which I'll read when I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

Thanks, I'll hang to it until after I get the Suntup edition of LTROI, which I'll read when I get it.
                      The Suntup edition comes with the 2 sequel stories.

Comment

I do/did. The Hulu movie was the Swedish version. Wasn't sure what to expect, but my wife and I did enjoy the movie. Definitely a slow burn story wise. Kind of glad I didn't buy the bluray because I'm not sure I need to watch it again.

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post

I assume you know, but there is a U.S. and also a Swedish (I believe) movie.

Comment

I've never seen the Swedish version, but I had LOVED the American version back when that one came out. I had no knowledge of the original or the novel back then.

There is a significant change that was made from novel to the screen that blew my damn mind! Seriously, I was shocked reading the novel, even after having seen the film.

Comment

Working...
                          X