Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I prefer the term “book permissive”.

Congratulations on the books. I almost went for a mustard then thought better of it. I reserve the right to change my mind again though.
    Thank you! There are still 93 Mustard copies left, if you change your mind. ;-)

Comment

What slowed me down the purchase quite a bit was the shipping charges. They give a detailed breakdown as to why it costs so much, but that’s charge to ship to the US takes that price up a notch.

I really like that mustard binding though. My favorite was the Leather edition. The lettered was very nice but a little much for my personal tastes, though the traycase looks stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
        What slowed me down the purchase quite a bit was the shipping charges. They give a detailed breakdown as to why it costs so much, but that’s charge to ship to the US takes that price up a notch.

I really like that mustard binding though. My favorite was the Leather edition. The lettered was very nice but a little much for my personal tastes, though the traycase looks stunning.
        Yeah, the shipping is a bit rough. But for what it's worth, even the standard editions are printed letterpress! The total price (with shipping) is still a great price for the quality of Rich's work.

Comment

I wound up passing on this. I was very, very tempted, but I just couldn't justify for a book that I'm not that familiar with. Congratulations to all who got a copy because it looks beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post
            Have you guys who are lukewarm on Gaiman read AMERICAN GODS? That's the one. You like it- you're a life-long fan, you don't- you're not. I wouldn't gauge him (too much) by STARDUST or NEVERWHERE (although, I do like those books). It's AG, and SANDMAN, as well. Those are masterpieces that will stand the test of time.
            I've been a Gaiman fan for a long time, and American Gods always sounded like THE BOOK of his, but it's bad. It started with so much promise and then poof gone. This one and Anasi Boys (I have zero recollection of ever reading this one which shows the impression it made.)

Stardust is best in the illustrated version - that's how it was originally published, and Charles Vess is AMAZING! I will always remember the weekend I went to San Francisco for work and random stumbled upon the Carton Art Museum which at the time was displaying all of the original paintings he did. So beautiful seeing those paintings in person.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

I've been a Gaiman fan for a long time, and American Gods always sounded like THE BOOK of his, but it's bad. It started with so much promise and then poof gone. This one and Anasi Boys (I have zero recollection of ever reading this one which shows the impression it made.)

Stardust is best in the illustrated version - that's how it was originally published, and Charles Vess is AMAZING! I will always remember the weekend I went to San Francisco for work and random stumbled upon the Carton Art Museum which at the time was displaying all of the original paintings he did. So beautiful seeing those paintings in person.
              While I will respectfully disagree with you about the merits of AMERICAN GODS (again, it seems to be a love it or hate it book! Which, frankly, baffles me, as someone in the former camp. Jeez, it won the Hugo, Stoker, Nebula, and Locus awards! Of course, awards do not ultimately mean a whole lot, but, a "bad" book? Eh', art is always subjective!), I do absolutely agree with you about STARDUST best edition being the original illustrated edition. As you say, that's how it was originally co-conceived and published. The copious Vess illustrations and devices are inherently part of the work. That's why I didn't ultimately bite on this new edition, as pretty as it looks. True, it will have some very nice Vess color plates, but nowhere near the original edition.

Comment

I own a few versions of American Gods - I've even read it a couple of times thinking it was one of those "wrong time, wrong place" types of stories. And I just can't get into it. Starts out really promising though. Most of Gaiman's stuff does fall into the love it or hate it piles for me. Like Norse Mythology - didn't care for that book very much but when I saw him on his speaking tour, he read one of the stories from it, and I loved it ! I realized I needed him to tell me the stories (which is why I love the audio version - him reading his stories.) Maybe I need that for American Gods to work.

DC needs to do an Absolute version of Stardust for the art.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                  I own a few versions of American Gods - I've even read it a couple of times thinking it was one of those "wrong time, wrong place" types of stories. And I just can't get into it. Starts out really promising though. Most of Gaiman's stuff does fall into the love it or hate it piles for me. Like Norse Mythology - didn't care for that book very much but when I saw him on his speaking tour, he read one of the stories from it, and I loved it ! I realized I needed him to tell me the stories (which is why I love the audio version - him reading his stories.) Maybe I need that for American Gods to work.

DC needs to do an Absolute version of Stardust for the art.
                  There is a Cast Recording of AG that most agree is outstanding. I don't know that it would change your mind, though. Interesting about your Norse Mythology experience! I have been in and out of that book a couple of times, but now will try the audio!

And, a big yes to an Absolute Stardust! Hadn't even thought of that, but it's a no brainer. Wonder if they could do something similar like the unique style that the Absolute Sandman's are. That would be pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                  X