Lyra's Books:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lyra's Books:

There appears to be a new premium small press starting up in the UK.

Their first offering is Neil Gaiman's Stardust.
    The book is being offered in 3 states:
    1. Standard: SIgned by the artist with 500 copies. (135 Pounds until August 8th, then 155)
      1. One Blue state of 250
      2. One Mustard State of 250
    2. Leather: Signed by author and artist 100 copies (455 Pounds until August 8th, then 495)
    3. Lettered: Signed by author and artist 26 copies (1,575 Pounds until August 8th, then 1,765)
    Pre-order window starts July 25th. Current estimated shipping is October.
    Details at https://www.lyrasbooks.com/

While this book is an easy pass for me I am intrigued to see what else they do.

It's going to sell out within a minute, based on the hype.

A lot of folks had been added to a pre-order list, so I don't believe there will be many copies that will even make it to the public presale.

Comment

It looks really nice. I'll have to read the book next and see if it's something I'd be interested in.

Comment

You're an evil, evil man, Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post
          It's going to sell out within a minute, based on the hype.

A lot of folks had been added to a pre-order list, so I don't believe there will be many copies that will even make it to the public presale.
          They are gorgeous productions. I didn't see anything regarding how to be added to a preorder list. Unless that was something that was done via social media.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

They are gorgeous productions. I didn't see anything regarding how to be added to a preorder list. Unless that was something that was done via social media.
            I guess it happened earlier. This is from a post on their FB page:

I will now start to contact everyone who managed to reserve an early copy. I will confirm orders and take payments via the contact email you provided at the time of reservation. This will take me a few days. If you wish to cancel your reservation then please send me an email and I'll take your name off the list.

For everyone else, copies of each edition are still available and they will all go on sale at the appointed time on the 25th. They will be sold on a first come first served basis.

Comment

And another post from back on April 30th:

Wow. OK.

I am astounded by the response to this. I'm not sure whether I'm just naive or if I just totally underestimated the audience for these books.

The leather edition is now almost totally gone. I am now closing the reservations for this edition as I'd like to leave some for the actual pre-order. I'm now fully aware that I didn't give much in the way of warning for this so I'd like to give other people who didn't see my post a fighting chance to grab a copy!

I'm sorry if this has caused problems. I just had no idea the response would be this huge! I expected a small handful of emails...!

Thanks for your interest!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                And another post from back on April 30th:

Wow. OK.

I am astounded by the response to this. I'm not sure whether I'm just naive or if I just totally underestimated the audience for these books.

The leather edition is now almost totally gone. I am now closing the reservations for this edition as I'd like to leave some for the actual pre-order. I'm now fully aware that I didn't give much in the way of warning for this so I'd like to give other people who didn't see my post a fighting chance to grab a copy!

I'm sorry if this has caused problems. I just had no idea the response would be this huge! I expected a small handful of emails...!

Thanks for your interest!!!
                Gotcha. He drastically underestimated the crazy in the book collector's blood lol. I'm not a Gaiman fan as I've never read him, but I wouldn't mind owning a standard edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                  You're an evil, evil man, Martin.
                  i have no issue with that assesment.

Comment

I like Gaiman but I've never read Stardust. I'll be passing. The books look beautiful, but with so much coming out in such a short period of time, I can only stretch the budget so far.

Comment

I read Stardust yesterday, and while I liked it, it's not something I need to have a collector edition of. I'll be passing on this one.

Comment

With all the money I've just spent on Let the Right One In (including the paperweight) and my lukewarm feelings about Gaiman (could not finish Neverwhere) this is an easy pass. These books do look gorgeous and if the name on the spine was Barker or Palahniuk or McCarthy or McCabe I'd be feeling tortured right now. Especially knowing this is a ground floor of an exciting new press. So I'm glad I don't feel the pull.

Comment

Never cared for Gaiman. He just isn't my cup o' noodles.
                          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Have you guys who are lukewarm on Gaiman read AMERICAN GODS? That's the one. You like it- you're a life-long fan, you don't- you're not. I wouldn't gauge him (too much) by STARDUST or NEVERWHERE (although, I do like those books). It's AG, and SANDMAN, as well. Those are masterpieces that will stand the test of time.

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post
                              Have you guys who are lukewarm on Gaiman read AMERICAN GODS? That's the one. You like it- you're a life-long fan, you don't- you're not. I wouldn't gauge him (too much) by STARDUST or NEVERWHERE (although, I do like those books). It's AG, and SANDMAN, as well. Those are masterpieces that will stand the test of time.
                              American Gods intrigues me but I have never tried it. I may someday give it a read.

Comment

Working...
                              X