Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff VanderMerr

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Kind of a bummer of a situation. They up-sold, then delayed, and then under-delivered. I don't have any skin in this game but I hate when things like this happen.

    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

    His comment on Facebook was about not receiving his author copies of the book despite seeing customers receiving theirs. He suggested it may have something to do with Chizar being preoccupied with doing certain favors for King.

    VanderMeer did share a little perspective in a comment on my unboxing:

    https://youtu.be/-sg9xG7-Mfs
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

    Comment


      #47
      Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

      His comment on Facebook was about not receiving his author copies of the book despite seeing customers receiving theirs. He suggested it may have something to do with Chizar being preoccupied with doing certain favors for King.

      VanderMeer did share a little perspective in a comment on my unboxing:

      https://youtu.be/-sg9xG7-Mfs
      Thanks for sending this link over. I enjoyed your unboxing video for this book. Your sentiments are pretty much mine as well. This book feels closer to an elevated trade edition than a true limited edition, especially considering the price point, which is a real bummer. Also found the author's comments pretty humorous. Hope he gets his books!

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
        Bummer to hear that the bonus material wasn't included. Not blaming anyone as I don't know who's more at fault, but, it it definitely feels like we're getting less than was promised. I just wish that if the bonus material couldn't be produced in the 4 1/2 years of production time that CD would have found a way to replace it with something else (interior art, essay from another author, etc.). Am still happy to have this book as this is one of my favorite authors; however, I was hoping for something extra special, especially at $150 price point which felt high-end for CD back in 2018. Those are practically Suntup AGE prices and Suntup would have included a bunch of art or other extras beyond a new dust jacket and sig.
        This is bummer. Especially since I went with the $500 lettered edition. I'm hoping that the production values on the lettered edition make up for the lost content.

        Comment


          #49
          Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

          This is bummer. Especially since I went with the $500 lettered edition. I'm hoping that the production values on the lettered edition make up for the lost content.
          I hope the lettered edition works out for you too! Looking at the product description, the only differences I'm noticing off the back are that it would have the marbled end-pages and the tray case as opposed to the slip case. Hopefully, the differences will be more substantial for that kind of money!
          Last edited by sholloman81; 07-21-2022, 09:55 PM.

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

            I hope the lettered edition works out for you too! Looking at the product description, the only differences I'm noticing off the back are that it would have the marbled end-pages and the tray case as opposed to the slip case. Hopefully, the differences will be more substantial for that kind of money!
            Thanks! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. $500 is a sizeable chunk of change.

            Comment


              #51
              This is pretty disappointing. Like Ben said, over promised, under delivered. Definitely not a good idea in any industry or situation.

              Comment


                #52
                Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

                This is bummer. Especially since I went with the $500 lettered edition. I'm hoping that the production values on the lettered edition make up for the lost content.
                I hope Jeff actually signed his full name for the lettered edition, as opposed to the quick scribble that made it into the numbered edition.

                Comment


                  #53
                  My copy arrived today.

                  To be perfectly honest, it's an entirely pedestrian effort and the final product doesn't really reflect the wait nor the cost. There's kind of a he said/she said situation with regards to the bonus features, but even ignoring that...I don't see the cost in the production. I think the rise of Suntup has shined a light on what can be done working with economies of scale in the limited edition publishing arena and some of the old guard really need to take notice and up their game. Outside of being signed by the author, this just isn't on par with the standard Suntup AE, and the cost is roughly the same.

                  In an effort to offer some positivity, I really love the cover art, the slipcase art, and the stamping on the boards - they're all very striking and fit the story within quite well. Also kudos to the CD team - they weren't able to match my original number request (which I found odd, all things considered), but were able to match a subsequent request which actually worked out better because now it matches my SubPress Vandermeers.

                  Comment


                    #54
                    A user on Facebook noticed that their copies of this title had creasing around pages 563, 595, 635, and 625. He had purchased five copies and every single one of them had some creasing.

                    I still have to unbox my copy, but I'm curious to see how many copies were affected. Per the post on Facebook, Mindy checked all remaining copies in the warehouse and they all had the same issues.

                    Very disappointing, to say the least. But I wanted to share it here as I know some folks aren't on Facebook.

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Originally posted by Splync View Post
                      A user on Facebook noticed that their copies of this title had creasing around pages 563, 595, 635, and 625. He had purchased five copies and every single one of them had some creasing.

                      I still have to unbox my copy, but I'm curious to see how many copies were affected. Per the post on Facebook, Mindy checked all remaining copies in the warehouse and they all had the same issues.

                      Very disappointing, to say the least. But I wanted to share it here as I know some folks aren't on Facebook.
                      I had not heard about this, so I checked my copy. To be honest I am much more disappointed that the book was not completed and delivered as promised, and that the change was not communicated when the book went to press. I will try and make the time to take some pictures this weekend on post what the crease looks like. It is barely noticeable.

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Just to clarify, a lot of the ire generated by the aforementioned FB post isn't about the creases themselves so much as CD's response which was basically a very polite "lol get fucked."

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Originally posted by Splync View Post
                          A user on Facebook noticed that their copies of this title had creasing around pages 563, 595, 635, and 625. He had purchased five copies and every single one of them had some creasing.

                          I still have to unbox my copy, but I'm curious to see how many copies were affected. Per the post on Facebook, Mindy checked all remaining copies in the warehouse and they all had the same issues.

                          Very disappointing, to say the least. But I wanted to share it here as I know some folks aren't on Facebook.
                          Thanks for posting this as I don't do Facebook; so, the info was much appreciated. I need to check my copy, but, don't think I'm ready to do that at the moment as I don't want to experience any more bad news with this darn book. Also, it's not like CD can do anything about the creasing issue at this point; so, why make myself even more upset. Much like Martin, I wouldn't be so much upset at the creases as with CD's lack of communication regarding the totality of issues/changes with this book. I also really wish that at some point CD would address the issues/reception of this book via their own website so at least we could know their thinking behind what may have went wrong or why changes weren't clearly communicated. I have a lot of love for CD from my past experiences and purchases, but, the experience with this book is really turning me off from potential future orders.

                          Comment


                            #58
                            I have posted photos of my copy on my collector's thread including a photo of the one page that has the defect in the paper.
                            Martin's Collection - Cemetery Dance Forums

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Mine has the creasing as well.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X