Salem’s Lot: The Deluxe Special Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
    This is a book that should be revisited often IMO for any King fan (although probably not after dark as BJF has suggested via another thread on another site) . The story telling to me is phenomenal for only an author's second novel. I think you'll find it hard to put down, Ron. Especially with all the bells and whistles this edition will have.

Spoiler!
    I have not read Salem's Lot in many years. Am looking forward to reading it again. I loved Duma Key.
    Last edited by Martin; 02-20-2016, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
      For those who reread The Stand, do you read the original or the uncut? I've only read it once and it was the uncut.
      I think I'm good with either one now. There was a time I definitely preferred the original version, but the added content of the expanded edition is nice to have. The original version was only cut down because the publisher couldn't (or wouldn't) physically print a book that ran to around 1100 pages at the time, and SK didn't have the clout to fight it back then.

As I said, my only gripe with the expanded edition was the attempt to bring it from the late '70s to the late '80s, but after all these years, the errors are hardly worth mentioning.

Comment

I enjoy both editions of the Stand, mostly I enjoy the editing in the original edition. Really, it was well done. I do enjoy the sort of humorous episodes in the restored version. I'm one of those people who re-reads a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
          I think I'm good with either one now. There was a time I definitely preferred the original version, but the added content of the expanded edition is nice to have. The original version was only cut down because the publisher couldn't (or wouldn't) physically print a book that ran to around 1100 pages at the time, and SK didn't have the clout to fight it back then.

As I said, my only gripe with the expanded edition was the attempt to bring it from the late '70s to the late '80s, but after all these years, the errors are hardly worth mentioning.
          I don't think I knew they updated references.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
            I don't think I knew they updated references.
            Here's a good article on the updated edition - http://michaelrcollings.blogspot.com...g-back-at.html

A quote from the article:

"King was not satisfied merely to reconstruct the novel as he had originally envisioned it; he also carefully revised the entire manuscript to bring it up-to-date for 1990’s readers. This often includes changing or adding such details as the names of songs and singing groups, fleeting political and social allusions, and brand-name references more immediately recognizable to later audiences."

Comment

Thanks Dave, that was a good article. I hope the movies pan out!!

Comment

A few more photos of 'Salem's Lot... you may need to "reload" or "refresh" your browser if these don't show up correctly!

Brian
                Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Absolutely incredible! So very glad I ordered both editions.
                  And so sorry I decided to pass on the lettered.

Any chance on seeing the AE traycase soon, Brian??

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                    And so sorry I decided to pass on the lettered.

Any chance on seeing the AE traycase soon, Brian??

sk
                    Waiting on an update from the traycase maker on that one! I hope it'll be pretty soon because I'd like to have them here when the books arrive next month.

Brian
                    Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

sk
                      I've been going back and forth on ordering the Gift Edition since seeing the latest pics. Is the AE enough? Damn you, CD, for tempting me!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                        I've been going back and forth on ordering the Gift Edition since seeing the latest pics. Is the AE enough? Damn you, CD, for tempting me!
                        Ah, what the hell...I ordered it.

Comment

Excellent decision, Dave.
                          Do you have the Carrie gift as well?
                          If not, you know what you have to do.....

sk

Comment

sk
                            There is my dilemma in a nutshell. I showed such great restraint on Carrie and only bought the AE. I have seen all these copies on the web for the Gift edition and have been so good and not purchased one. I even ordered the full AE set and thought I am done spending on these books, it will be fun to get one or two a year for the next few years that are all prepaid. Then the art portfolios come up and with no hesitation I quickly jump in. Then I start seeing images of the Gift Edition of Salem's Lot. Suddenly I am thinking wow I may need to add that one, then of course I realize I will probably say the same thing about The Stand when I see it. Well that makes me think I should probably have the full set of the Gift Editions as well. So far am am holding with just the Artist Editions but my willpower is fading.

Comment

sk
                              Lol, I know, Like Martin, I'm all pre-ordered and paid up on the AE set, but skipped the GE of Carrie. I'm not sure which GEs I'll buy yet, but I'm sure The Stand will tempt me too.

I need to get my ass in gear and make more money

Comment

I was determined not to buy any of the lettered editions. The gift plus AE would have to do.
                                Then, there were the remarques - have both my Carrie & 'Salem's Lot done.
                                Next, the art portfolios. No remarques this time, but the portfolios are awesome (Going by the Carrie edition.)

So, what's next?
                                Oh, I know: the The Shining lettered! (If I can manage to get a copy...)

sk

Comment

Working...
                                X