The Damnation Game by Clive Barker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a couple of questions...

Is there any interior art planned for this awesome book?

Will there be an option to purchase a remarque created by either Clive Barker or the artist Ęsthetic Cataclysm?
    "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
    - Stephen King

Comment

Someone said they couldn't believe this book has never been done as a limited before; I couldn't either. Look here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clive-Barker...item46169c571c

So what is this book exactly? Just a re-issue? Can't be a first edition. Just wondering....

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
        Someone said they couldn't believe this book has never been done as a limited before; I couldn't either. Look here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clive-Barker...item46169c571c

So what is this book exactly? Just a re-issue? Can't be a first edition. Just wondering....
        Weidenfeld and Nicholson released the First Edition of this book back in 1985 and published it in various formats.

The book selling on Ebay is the UK Limited First Edition by Weidenfeld and Nicholson. There were only 250 signed, numbered and boxed copies of this available.

See link below:

http://www.clivebarker.info/damnatbib.html
        "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
        - Stephen King

Comment

Thanks for letting me know. So at least this one can be called the first American edition. But it seems for such a great book, it sure is going cheap on ebay.

Comment

Thanks for letting me know. So at least this one can be called the first American edition. But it seems for such a great book, it sure is going cheap on ebay.
            Yeah, the copy on Ebay is probably a good bargain actually.

The copies of the UK Limited Edition listed on Abe Books are selling for a lot more...

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Se...damnation+game
            - Stephen King

Comment

That's what I thought (it was a good bargain). I should have actually bought that one than the CD version.....seems like it'd be worth alot more since it was published so many years ago. What do you think the CD version will be worth say, 5 years from now? And it sold out so fast which surprised me too considering there was a previous limited edition done.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if by the time this is actually released that will be at least double the shelf price (not including shipping) maybe more. The fact that it sold out in half a day is a good sign that it will be quite collectible. Cemetery Dance always make top quality books.

Comment

That's what I thought (it was a good bargain). I should have actually bought that one than the CD version.....seems like it'd be worth alot more since it was published so many years ago. What do you think the CD version will be worth say, 5 years from now? And it sold out so fast which surprised me too considering there was a previous limited edition done.
                  CD limited editions increase in value very rapidly, so there will be no worries on that score.

Just because there was a previous S/L of the Damnation Game, shouldn't devalue the CD version one iota. At the end of the day, the CD version is still going to be a super deluxe edition whether it was previously released or not.
                  - Stephen King

Comment

I don't buy books based on what they might be worth down the road. I buy books because I like them. I passed on this because while I like Clive Barker. Most of his work I don't care for. I could have bought a copy and sold it on EBay. But that would be taking a book that someone else wanted for their enjoyment. I know some people who do that. But not me. I have ordered more then one copy of a book before. Usually it is because I forgot I already ordered one. That happened with Shivers 7. I had already ordered a paperback copy to go with my signed limited. Forgot about it and ordered another paperback edition. So now I have it listed on EBay. I don't look at my collection as a means to my retirement. That is why I am weeding through things. As most of us do when I first started collecting I had to have everything. Now I am focused on only the books that interest me the most. It is tough. Especially with so many great writers out there. Slowly things are starting to take shape.

Comment

While I don't plan on selling my copies, and I by them for my own enjoyment, I do like to keep my eye on the secondary market. It does tickle my fancy when one of my books accumulates in price by quite a bit compared to what I paid, even if I'm not selling it.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                        I don't buy books based on what they might be worth down the road. I buy books because I like them. I passed on this because while I like Clive Barker. Most of his work I don't care for. I could have bought a copy and sold it on EBay. But that would be taking a book that someone else wanted for their enjoyment. I know some people who do that. But not me. I have ordered more then one copy of a book before. Usually it is because I forgot I already ordered one. That happened with Shivers 7. I had already ordered a paperback copy to go with my signed limited. Forgot about it and ordered another paperback edition. So now I have it listed on EBay. I don't look at my collection as a means to my retirement. That is why I am weeding through things. As most of us do when I first started collecting I had to have everything. Now I am focused on only the books that interest me the most. It is tough. Especially with so many great writers out there. Slowly things are starting to take shape.
                        I buy them both because I like them and hopefully, they will increase in price down the road. If you collect something whether it be coins or stamps, you're hoping that the collection becomes valuable someday. I certainly don't have enough money invested in books that I could actually retire if I sold them all lol. 80% of what I have was bought in the late 80s, early 90s and I'd say it's worth maybe 15 grand. My King limiteds and signed trades are probably worth twice that.
                        But you don't want to pay a couple hundred for a limited edition just because you like it, do you? You'd want it to increase in price, right?

Comment

I buy them both because I like them and hopefully, they will increase in price down the road. If you collect something whether it be coins or stamps, you're hoping that the collection becomes valuable someday. I certainly don't have enough money invested in books that I could actually retire if I sold them all lol. 80% of what I have was bought in the late 80s, early 90s and I'd say it's worth maybe 15 grand. My King limiteds and signed trades are probably worth twice that.
                          But you don't want to pay a couple hundred for a limited edition just because you like it, do you? You'd want it to increase in price, right?
                          By definition, Limited Editions will always increase in price - unless you let them get damaged.

I certainly only ever buy Limited Editions that I like. Outside of being a commercial dealer in signed literature, I cannot see the point of buying expensive S/L books that you do not like, just to see the value grow over the years.

When I buy S/L books, They become essentially priceless to me, so worrying about what value they might hold in years to come, is for me, largely irrelevant as I have no intention in ever selling any of my S/L collection.

I collect S/L editions so that I can enjoy reading my favourite books in the manner that they deserve. Reading a paperback copy of any Stephen King book for example, just doesn't feel right for me. For that reason, I do not own any paperback books of either Stephen King or Clive Barker. All of my collection is hardback, I will try and get my hands on at least a gift edition or maybe if I am lucky a S/L of my very favourite books by these authors.

That is why the trying to get hold of a S/L edition of Stephen King's IT was driving me crazy for so long. Not because I wanted to own something valuable, but because Stephen King's IT is one my favourite books of all time and always will be. Now that I finally own a copy of the book, I will enjoy reading it and love it for what it is. Whether it is worth $800 now or $5,000 in ten years time doesn't bother me at all.
                          - Stephen King

Comment

Sorry but I am little puzzled by the statement 'By definition, Limited Editions will always increase in price - unless you let them get damaged.' By what definition? I have purchased many limited editions long after publication, in mint condition at well below the published price. My question is not meant to sound snarky, I am just curious about the thought behind the statement.
                            Originally posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
                            By definition, Limited Editions will always increase in price - unless you let them get damaged.

I certainly only ever buy Limited Editions that I like. Outside of being a commercial dealer in signed literature, I cannot see the point of buying expensive S/L books that you do not like, just to see the value grow over the years.

When I buy S/L books, They become essentially priceless to me, so worrying about what value they might hold in years to come, is for me, largely irrelevant as I have no intention in ever selling any of my S/L collection.

I collect S/L editions so that I can enjoy reading my favourite books in the manner that they deserve. Reading a paperback copy of any Stephen King book for example, just doesn't feel right for me. For that reason, I do not own any paperback books of either Stephen King or Clive Barker. All of my collection is hardback, I will try and get my hands on at least a gift edition or maybe if I am lucky a S/L of my very favourite books by these authors.

That is why the trying to get hold of a S/L edition of Stephen King's IT was driving me crazy for so long. Not because I wanted to own something valuable, but because Stephen King's IT is one my favourite books of all time and always will be. Now that I finally own a copy of the book, I will enjoy reading it and love it for what it is. Whether it is worth $800 now or $5,000 in ten years time doesn't bother me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                              Sorry but I am little puzzled by the statement 'By definition, Limited Editions will always increase in price - unless you let them get damaged.' By what definition? I have purchased many limited editions long after publication, in mint condition at well below the published price. My question is not meant to sound snarky, I am just curious about the thought behind the statement.
                              Then you must have found yourself particularly good bargains.

Limited Editions are exactly that - Limited. Once they go out of print they become collectable, which in turn, means an increase in value. Depending on a book's treatment, print run and particular author, the timescale and percentage increase of value will vastly differ. S/L editions of Stephen King books will increase in value practically overnight, whilst more obscure authors may take a lot longer.
                              - Stephen King

Comment

A book is only worth what you successfully sell it for, plain and simple. Doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

EDIT: excluding sentimental worth, just speaking in monetary.
                                Last edited by Highbury; 11-30-2013, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X