Gwendy's Final Task (two Firsts?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gwendy's Final Task (two Firsts?)

I received a copy of Gwendy's Final Task today from CD. I'm unsure of what the CD deal was (there have been so many offered) but this one is autographed by Chizmar right on the title page. I have another trade edition First that I ordered from Amazon earlier and that was not autographed (or course) but I received a post-card style insertion from CD with Chiznmar's signature and a small graphic in another special offer. But, here is the thing. Both books have the same ISBN, and both on the indices state First Edition. But the book that I received from Amazon has an uncoated (dull) cover stock while the one that I received autographed from CD has a coated-stock cover (very shiny). Also the one from CD features deluxe solid back endpapers front and back. The one from Amazon has just blank, white pages and the reverse of the covers is also white. So, obviously these are two separate press runs. Kinda strange! I like both volumes for sure! But as a collector I am wondering which of these might take First Edition precedence and such!

Originally posted by NeilS View Post
    I received a copy of Gwendy's Final Task today from CD. I'm unsure of what the CD deal was (there have been so many offered) but this one is autographed by Chizmar right on the title page. I have another trade edition First that I ordered from Amazon earlier and that was not autographed (or course) but I received a post-card style insertion from CD with Chiznmar's signature and a small graphic in another special offer. But, here is the thing. Both books have the same ISBN, and both on the indices state First Edition. But the book that I received from Amazon has an uncoated (dull) cover stock while the one that I received autographed from CD has a coated-stock cover (very shiny). Also the one from CD features deluxe solid back endpapers front and back. The one from Amazon has just blank, white pages and the reverse of the covers is also white. So, obviously these are two separate press runs. Kinda strange! I like both volumes for sure! But as a collector I am wondering which of these might take First Edition precedence and such!
    Hi Neil,

Richard talks about the problems getting Gwendy's Final Task printed here and why there's two different versions of the first printing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4PbJ8dHuis
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Thanks, Dan! I will go view that now. Apparently book production all over the inustry has become an adventure game.

Comment

As Dan mentioned, there are two different versions.

I haven't received my CD copy yet, but it looks to be much nicer than the printing sold on Amazon.

The Amazon one looks to be a POD (Print On Demand) title. The spine is glued instead of sewn, the cover is a very poor quality, and there is even a POD barcode on one of the last pages.

I'm still looking forward to the title and know that there are plenty of supply chain issues, but that POD printing is rather sad. Makes for a cheap reading copy, I suppose!

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post
          As Dan mentioned, there are two different versions.

I haven't received my CD copy yet, but it looks to be much nicer than the printing sold on Amazon.

The Amazon one looks to be a POD (Print On Demand) title. The spine is glued instead of sewn, the cover is a very poor quality, and there is even a POD barcode on one of the last pages.

I'm still looking forward to the title and know that there are plenty of supply chain issues, but that POD printing is rather sad. Makes for a cheap reading copy, I suppose!
          I ordered from Barnes and Noble. To be honest I have POD books that look to be more durable than that grey one.

Comment

only 20,000 were printed and I expect it to increase in value more than the CD version.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpheel View Post
              only 20,000 were printed and I expect it to increase in value more than the CD version.
              Where did you hear the print run numbers?

My plan was to buy it on release day and begin reading it that day. Turns out no one near me had it so I ordered it online. Upon receiving it I decided that there is no way it would survive a reading, so I have not started reading it. Have one coming from CD that I will read.

Comment

The numbers appear on the dark tower website.

Comment

Dan - have all copies been shipped from CD or are there still more to come? Haven't gotten mine yet. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Where did you hear the print run numbers?

My plan was to buy it on release day and begin reading it that day. Turns out no one near me had it so I ordered it online. Upon receiving it I decided that there is no way it would survive a reading, so I have not started reading it. Have one coming from CD that I will read.
                    Richard talked about the numbers on social media.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by jsweet View Post
                      Dan - have all copies been shipped from CD or are there still more to come? Haven't gotten mine yet. Thanks
                      Not yet. But we're getting close to being done. Hopefully this week.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pumpheel View Post
                        The numbers appear on the dark tower website.
                        Thank you. Would you be willing to attach a link?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post

Richard talked about the numbers on social media.
                          Got it. I am apparently too anti-social to know these types of things.

Comment

Here's the numbers he shared. Overall first printing. 100,000 copies.

80k Green Binding
                            20k Gray binding

So far he's flat signed 5,000 copies and signed 4,000 bookplates

Instagram

Comment

I received the green from CD and the gray from B&N. Had to order from B&N, they didn't have any in store on release day. Water Street Books also has the green copies available. H&S also published a green copy without the stamping.

Comment

Working...
                              X