Best Dark Tower book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
    Man, aren't you lucky I'm in the Nederland (Colorado) public library at the moment and my (PC) time's running out....Have to keep it short....

sk
    Ka.
    Last edited by srboone; 07-17-2011, 05:48 AM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I found something in Wizard and Glass that I probably knew that I had forgotten or maybe just never thought about before.

Spoiler!
      Last edited by srboone; 07-25-2011, 11:42 AM. Reason: added the *** thought.
      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Another meditation on my current journey across Mid-World (I'm halfway thru W&G):
        Spoiler!

People smarter than me have probably already posed this and I'm just coming late to the party...
        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Finished Wizard and Glass. Here's why I don't think it is the best DT book:
          Spoiler!

It must be said that W&G is an important installment of the DT series; if Roland regaining his humanity is the key to solving the riddle of the DT, Roland must come to terms with his past. It's obvious that he has not, so the ending of the series should have been no surprise.

I still think The Drawing of the Three is the best of the series. Narratively it flows better and is better conceived. It is also more exciting with no lulls in action. Part of this comes from the fact that King's early fiction is forward-thinking while his later fiction deals with remembering things that have happened before. I have a preference for his early works (of which TDot3 would be a part--W&G definitely falls in the latter category.)
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I need to stay away from this thread if I ever want to read the series. I'm seeing too much about it here. And I can't help but hit "show" when I see spoliers. Like a lil tot wanting a cookie, I have to do it.

Comment

Early on I used the spoiler within the spoiler technique, to give you a chance, but...
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

lol yeah I know. I can't help myself.

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
                  I need to stay away from this thread if I ever want to read the series. I'm seeing too much about it here. And I can't help but hit "show" when I see spoliers. Like a lil tot wanting a cookie, I have to do it.
                  lol, I do the exact same thing with every spoiler tag I see here
                  WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                  Spoiler!

Comment

It shouldn't say "spoiler". "CLICK ME CLICK ME!!!!!!!!" would be more appropriate.

Comment

Then follow me down the rabbit hole again, Alice:
                      Spoiler!
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Even though I just hit it again, I'll never remember it if I actually ever start reading the books. I guess I should be doing that; I'm not getting any younger, and the way I go through fiction, it'll take me a few years to read just the first 3 or so.

Comment

Well, I've made the journey again with Roland and I've changed my mind on how I would rank the books--for the final time as I've read the entire cycle four times through (with the first three more times because I would reread the previous ones when next one came out: 1,1,2,1,2,3,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5, 6,7,1,2,3, 4,5,6,7--that's a lot reading.), and I think I'm done. I've ordered some slipcases to store them for shelf presentation.

1. The Drawing of the Three. Narratively, imaginatively superior to all the others.
                          2. The Wastelands. The first half continues the narrative of TDot3. The second part is not as good, but still scores narratively.
                          3. Song of Susannah. Exciting and revealing with an unique structure compared to the rest.
                          4. The Gunslinger. Narratively simplistic, but well-written and exciting.
                          5. The Dark Tower. A satisfying conclusion to the series..and a beginning.
                          6. The Wolves of the Callah. Well written and exciting, but a lack of creativity keeps it at the bottom.
                          7. Wizard and Glass. Narrative problems, combined with an unreliable narrator and a lack of creativity.

All this is nit-picking. When you're comparing a group of very good books, that's all you can do.

Final thoughts:
                          Spoiler!
                          Last edited by srboone; 11-14-2011, 03:57 AM.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Great post!
                            It has been a number of years since I last read this series and at the moment I have no intention of re-reading it.
                            So, for now, this is how I would rank the books:

1. Wizard and Glass.
                            2. The Wastelands.
                            3. The Drawing of the Three
                            4. The Gunslinger
                            5. The Wolves of the Callah.
                            6. The Dark Tower.
                            7. Song of Susannah.

sk
                            Last edited by frik51; 08-20-2011, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Cool beans, Siep!!! We agree on 2 outta 7!!! I'll take it!
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I need read this series again soon, and can't really say which is my favorite until I do as I don't recall a lot of things. I'll probably start doing that before too long and hopefully time it to coincide with the new DT novel coming out. We'll see though, might not be able to wait even though I have ton of books I still need to read
                                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                                Spoiler!

Comment

Working...
                                X