X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Wind was not out when I read the series. Have to get to it.
    Grant STILL has artist editions available. Maybe because they were bound like crap. But who knows, you might get lucky: https://secure.grantbooks.com/produc...eyhole-artist/

I LOVE the Jae Lee art in this edition.

But even if you don't get the Grant edition, it is definitely worth a read.

Leave a comment:

• frik51
    replied
    Drawing of the Three and Wizard and Glass were my favorites of the DT series.
    Mine as well, together with The Waste Lands

sk

Leave a comment:

• bsaenz24
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    YES. And I thought Wolves was a pointless addition to the series.

Also, I loved The Wind Through the Keyhole. Even though my Grant edition was bound like crap!

Wind was not out when I read the series. Have to get to it.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    YES. And I thought Wolves was a pointless addition to the series.

Also, I loved The Wind Through the Keyhole. Even though my Grant edition was bound like crap!

Leave a comment:

• bsaenz24
    replied
    Originally posted by frik51
    Paul!!
    You're missing out on some of the best books King wrote.
    What are you waiting for??!!

sk

Leave a comment:

• frik51
    replied
    Originally posted by Theli View Post
    I absolutely loved The Gunslinger, but still haven't touched the rest of the series.
    Paul!!! You're missing out on some of the best books king wrote.
    What are you waiting for??!!

sk

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    The movie looks better then I was expecting. I haven't been to a movie in the theater in over a decade. So I won't be going to see this. That being said the new It might be the movie that brings me back to the theater.

Leave a comment:

• Theli
    replied
    I absolutely loved The Gunslinger, but still haven't touched the rest of the series.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    As someone who has only read the first book in The Dark Tower series and wasn't swept away, I can say that I am actually pretty interested in seeing this movie. Idris Elba is a fantastic actor and McConaughey is fantastic when given the right role. Count me in on checking this out. Though if I had to pick only one upcoming film adaptation, the trailers for It have been looking pretty darn good...
    That was kinda how I felt about The Gunslinger initially as well. It took me forever to get through it. Once I got past it though and onto the next book in the series, I burned through the rest of them super quickly. I really should re-read them it's been awhile and I've only ever read them the once. It does look great, but I'm a wimp.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    As someone who has only read the first book in The Dark Tower series and wasn't swept away, I can say that I am actually pretty interested in seeing this movie. Idris Elba is a fantastic actor and McConaughey is fantastic when given the right role. Count me in on checking this out. Though if I had to pick only one upcoming film adaptation, the trailers for It have been looking pretty darn good...

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    I think that's the best way to phrase it. It's all so subjective. And like I said, I want to be won over by the actual film. With my expectations set so low, I might end up loving this adaptation. Because it can only be better than what I'm afraid it will be.
    Yep. That said I don't think it's going to be bad, I just don't think it's gonna be what I want.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Mostly though, it just doesn't look like what I wanted from the movie.
    I think that's the best way to phrase it. It's all so subjective. And like I said, I want to be won over by the actual film. With my expectations set so low, I might end up loving this adaptation. Because it can only be better than what I'm afraid it will be.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    I will admit that I was annoyed about the casting initially. I would have been annoyed if they cast Paul Giamatti as Roland because that wasn't how the character looked in my imagination (much the same way that Shelly Duvall was a horrible Wendy). So it's not a race issue. At all. And frankly, if King wants good lead black characters then he needs to write good lead black characters. Most of his black characters are either sidekicks or "magical" assistants. But anyway . . .

I will say I got over the Roland casting decision pretty quickly because Idris looks like a bad ass gunslinger and I know he's a super talented actor. So I felt that he fit Roland in all the very crucial ways (ways that maybe Paul Giamatti couldn't).

THEN I saw the trailers. And I really hated what I saw. I think Mcconaughey's Walter O'Dim is AWFUL. And in the few scenes with Roland and Jake, it looks like Roland is too soft or gentle when he's looking at Jake. I just didn't see Roland behaving that way toward Jake.

Of course these are only snippets of the larger piece and it's one I have been waiting decades to see. So I am much harder on this ilm than I would be on any other. I love King's work and the Dark Tower books are among my very favorites. I will see this movie and I'm hoping that all the Hollywood bullshit is in the trailers because the marketers are trying to capture the widest possible audience. And I will try to have an open mind. And I hope I walk out feeling like I just spent time with my ka tet.
    Yea the Dark Tower is my favorite SK work, but that's mostly because I like fantasy more than horror. I don't have as much invested in this as others do though as I read the DT series only after it was all out, and really only in the last like 6 years. So I don't have the "time waiting" a lot of fans have. I like Mcconaughey's Walter, I also don't see what you're seeing in the relationship between Roland and Jake. But I get where you're coming from since you do see that. Mostly though, it just doesn't look like what I wanted from the movie.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I couldn't care one way or another about "Black Roland" I actually think the casting is a good choice. Mostly I would just rather a more direct adaptation, along the lines of what they're doing with IT (which looks really good, but I'll never actually see it, because I enjoy sleeping too much).
    I will admit that I was annoyed about the casting initially. I would have been annoyed if they cast Paul Giamatti as Roland because that wasn't how the character looked in my imagination (much the same way that Shelly Duvall was a horrible Wendy). So it's not a race issue. At all. And frankly, if King wants good lead black characters then he needs to write good lead black characters. Most of his black characters are either sidekicks or "magical" assistants. But anyway . . .

I will say I got over the Roland casting decision pretty quickly because Idris looks like a bad ass gunslinger and I know he's a super talented actor. So I felt that he fit Roland in all the very crucial ways (ways that maybe Paul Giamatti couldn't).

THEN I saw the trailers. And I really hated what I saw. I think Mcconaughey's Walter O'Dim is AWFUL. And in the few scenes with Roland and Jake, it looks like Roland is too soft or gentle when he's looking at Jake. I just didn't see Roland behaving that way toward Jake.

Of course these are only snippets of the larger piece and it's one I have been waiting decades to see. So I am much harder on this ilm than I would be on any other. I love King's work and the Dark Tower books are among my very favorites. I will see this movie and I'm hoping that all the Hollywood bullshit is in the trailers because the marketers are trying to capture the widest possible audience. And I will try to have an open mind. And I hope I walk out feeling like I just spent time with my ka tet.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Teriw View Post
    I posted this and forgot about it. It's not all condensed into one movie. The first one is merely an introduction to the characters and the world. The Series is already being written and is just waiting on a green light from the movie sales. The second movie will include a variation of the Drawing. The whole Ka-Tet will be brought in, including Oy and the Detta Roland conflicts will not be dropped just altered. I'm extremely excited. Most people who aren't don't seem to understand what it is they're doing or are just pissed about a Black Roland.
    I couldn't care one way or another about "Black Roland" I actually think the casting is a good choice. Mostly I would just rather a more direct adaptation, along the lines of what they're doing with IT (which looks really good, but I'll never actually see it, because I enjoy sleeping too much).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X