No announcement yet.

Revival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, it's obviously personal preference coming through in the writing. It's probably because I'd seen somewhere him using an Apple that made me feel like it's a pitch. Nothing wrong with putting things in that he likes. "Nothing wrong here!"

From the SK boards:
    Does King still write on a typewriter? Or did he upgrade to a PC?
    July 1st, 2013, 10:27 AM
    The progression was typewriter to Wang word processor to Macintosh computers. Occasionally he starts writing by hand but that's usually only if he doesn't have either his laptop or desktop handy. When he's working from home, it most often is on the iMac and on the road, it's his MacBook laptop.
    http://stephenking.com/community/arc...p?t-29706.html

Comment

King has consistently used brand names in all his work. I just consider his use of Apple to be in that category.

John

Comment

Kind of interesting that Microsoft is so thoroughly plugged throughout every episode of Under The Dome but I guess maybe King didn't have anything to do with that decision

Comment

I think it's probably only natural to use the product that you use in your writing. So like for myself if I was writing I probably wouldn't use Apple as an example at all, as I really don't care for their products. As for the TV show that's probably more Microsoft sponsoring the show, which is something that happens all the time. It's how these types of shows get more funding and higher production values.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Product placement is everywhere but it doesn't always flow with the context. For me (my opinion), it didn't flow with the story, it looked like "I need to figure out how to include this." But I guess in this instance he also included a plug for Microsoft because in the next sentence he incorporated bing into the narrative. So he must like both. It's not like Oprah and her favorite things.
            This is one of my favorite instances of product placement:
            http://microsoft-news.com/microsofts...arketing-fail/

Comment

that's pretty funny

Comment

Funny, but also a bit of a shame. The surface pro 3 is actually a fantastic product (even with Windows 8).
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I haven't use a Surface but my friend has one and seems to like it. I know a lot more people that have iPads but I don't have one. I use a PC for work and at home I have both a PC and a Mac, I think that both have their positive attributes. Not quite like a Coke/Pepsi taste-off as there are very big differences but I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference.

Comment

Hmm...maybe I wasn't paying enough attention....lol

Comment

I agree with John. King has always done that and I find it brings a "real world" feel to his work.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Did you know that the US edition of Revival has two different dust jackets?

The back of one has a "teenager browsing graphic novels at Barnes & Noble"

The other has a "teenager browsing graphic novels at the bookstore"

The Barnes & Noble version is only available at Barnes & Noble.

By the way, the vertical lines in the scans are caused by my scanner and are not there in the actual dust jackets. It is caused by the holographic effect of the jackets.

John

Comment

Interesting..... I wonder if they'd ever make more than that for a book to include different markets. For example, a Canadian release could mention Chapters instead of bookstore or Barnes & Noble. I am sure there is a big chain in the UK too that would fit this scenario.

Comment

I keep forgetting to check my copy. I did get it at B&N, tho.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Mine says "bookstore" - came from Amazon.

Comment

mine says "BarnesU&7 Noble"--go figure. I know where I can get a "bookstore" one...
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X