X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

King's book collection

This is a great article, a must-read, I would think, for King fans:

A tour of Stephen King’s personal library - Washington Post

The author travels to King's house in Bangor and receives a tour by King of his collection of books (and what an awesome collection; the photos change as you read; my favorite is King holding Tales from the Crypt! Also: the shelves dedicated to his books as well as the works of his family). I lucked out and was able to get the article, I am not sure if this is normally for subscribers, so your experience may be different. Perhaps because this was for Halloween, the paper is allowing all to see it.

Sad to read that I guess the Bangor residence is not really used by him any longer. It's such a cool house; I would think he would have the most fun writing there. He should offer tours to help fund his philanthropic organization; we can only hope, right? But I really do love that house, my father and I used to take trips to see it; some good memories...

Thank you for sharing. I've had always wanted to do the typical drive by and photo shoot at the famous arch. It probably wont happen but it's still a goal of mine.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Last I heard the old Bangor home was going to be converted into a writer retreat. The King family was working with the city on zoning but that was a while back and I am not sure it ever happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
        Thank you for sharing. I've had always wanted to do the typical drive by and photo shoot at the famous arch. It probably wont happen but it's still a goal of mine.
        I hope you one day can get there. It really is fun to think about what he wrote at the house. As an example, I can only presume he wrote all of It there. Thinking something like that is just neat as heck, really causes you to reflect on being near the birthplace of a small cultural zeitgeist. I myself would like to someday return, but probably won't be able to now because of some handicaps. But I still have the memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          Thanks for sharing. Last I heard the old Bangor home was going to be converted into a writer retreat. The King family was working with the city on zoning but that was a while back and I am not sure it ever happened.
          That would be a pretty cool use of the house. Still, I'm surprised none of the children wanted to keep it private for themselves. But if that is what the parents want, it certainly is a laudable goal. I would love to be one of the writers included! I say, only semi-jokingly, they should have the house available for bad writers like me! Maybe it could be a fantasy-camp-type thing where King would give feedback on 500-word flash-fiction pieces (if there are fantasy camps where one can play with Cheap Trick, why not a famous-author version...has that ever existed before?).

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post

That would be a pretty cool use of the house. Still, I'm surprised none of the children wanted to keep it private for themselves. But if that is what the parents want, it certainly is a laudable goal. I would love to be one of the writers included! I say, only semi-jokingly, they should have the house available for bad writers like me! Maybe it could be a fantasy-camp-type thing where King would give feedback on 500-word flash-fiction pieces (if there are fantasy camps where one can play with Cheap Trick, why not a famous-author version...has that ever existed before?).
            I read the article posted on this thread and it matches the original story where the main house would contain King's archives and the second house would be the retreat. Here is one of the stories about the conversion of the property. Horror writer Stephen King’s house in Maine is becoming a writers' retreat - Lonely Planet

One other thing. If you hit the paywall on the original post but subscribe to Apple news, the story is readily available on Apple news.

Comment

Working...
            X