"The Stand" anthology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Stand" anthology

I just saw some headlines about a new anthology, based on The Stand universe. Edited by Brian Keene and Christopher Golden. It will be various writers taking their stab at tales from the Captain Trips world.

Great idea. I've always wanted to see something like this. The reason is because I know King can't possibly write more stories that continue the universes started in his books...how can he? Heck, how can he write sequels to all his novels, too?

Opening The Stand up like this is something I have suggested in the past, and I am thrilled we will get more stories set in the great book started by King. 

I am curious how this came to be. Did the editors simply pitch King on the idea, or did King come to them? And I read in one of the articles covering this that Keene actually stated at one point on Twitter that submissions were closed for the project and that any more submissions would be returned unread. I have to say, I find it hard to believe that the project wasn't private-invitation only in terms of submitting, so I have to ask...was this open-call to everyone?? I'm guessing the article misread the message and it was for another project. (I would have loved to submit!)

And I have to ask the following odd question: is King making money from this, or is he simply allowing others to make the money as a way of supporting writers? Here's why I ask: I hope he is, because maybe it will incentivize the creation of more such anthologies. Please, please, create one for It, or, as I onetime suggested in the past, just a general one that almost contains short sequels to King novels...just as "One for the Road" is to 'Salem's Lot, why can't we have equivalent pairing for Pet Sematary, Thinner, The Tommyknockers, Christine, and on and on. This seems like a great business model. And I would love to read such an anthology. Is the goal too to see a streaming series come from this? Who owns the film rights in that case?

Can't wait for this, but a last question: Is this going to be a limited-edition deal where it will sell out rapidly, or will I be able to go to Barnes and Noble and acquire this easily? Please the latter, have a heart!...

It was invite only. Keene was just telling people not to send their Stand fanfic his way now because it wouldn't be considered. I'm sure King is making money from this, but I doubt that's his reason for doing it or that it'll have any effect on whether he'd allow other such projects. And although I'm sure there will be a Limited Edition at some point, I'm also sure the trade edition is from a larger publisher, so no need to worry about missing out.
    Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

SO excited for this one! Now let's just hope that I make it to 2025 to read it!

Comment

How sure are you?

Originally posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
        And although I'm sure there will be a Limited Edition at some point
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
          How sure are you?
          Just given the nature of the project, I would put money on it if I was a betting man. But I have no specific info or anything. Just guessing based on past experience!

Brian
          Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
          My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Just call up Uncle Stevie and ask him if he signed off on this. I'm sure you have his cell. :-)

Originally posted by Brian James Freeman View Post

Just given the nature of the project, I would put money on it if I was a betting man. But I have no specific info or anything. Just guessing based on past experience!

Brian
            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
            X