King appearances in textbooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

King appearances in textbooks

I was curious...I am assuming Stephen King has had works of his included in college textbooks. Does anyone here collect such books, and would there be a list of them somewhere?

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
    I was curious...I am assuming Stephen King has had works of his included in college textbooks. Does anyone here collect such books, and would there be a list of them somewhere?
    I am not aware of any textbooks using king but have had mulitple people taking writing classes in highschool and college who were told to read Kings On Writing.

Comment

Sorry took so long to reply...not here as much as I would like to be (or even should be, I suppose). Thanks for the response, Martin. That's actually very interesting to me...I can see that book being used as a textbook to teach writing. King should actually update it, perhaps with more real editing examples of his stories. Using that book is interesting too because I assume most teachers tell their students to read just the on-writing part, and not the autobiographical section. It's also notable because if lower and higher educational institutions use this book in their writing classes, then that guarantees a core, perennial royalty flow for King (unless everyone buys the copies used...which I hope they don't for King's sake...that's why he needs to update it!)

I have to assume some stories of King have been used in some textbooks somewhere...I'll have to keep digging. I wonder how hard it would be to create one; after all, there are many anthology textbooks for other subjects, although they may oftentimes use public-domain stuff (e.g., a text of medieval writings with commentary and annotations). I assume a textbook of Poe would be all public-domain, which would be simple, but King's would need to be licensed. Makes one wonder if King's publisher could put together such a text for colleges to make some extra money for King and itself. Anyway, thanks again for the reply...
      Last edited by JJ123; 06-10-2023, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X