Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Fairy Tale" movie/book

Not surprising this will be adapted, obviously:

Paul Greengrass To direct Stephen King’s New Bestseller Fairy Tale – Deadline

I always laugh when I read that the price for the option is $1. I know his reasoning, of course, but I hope it is a really short option period. He does receive a generous profit participation, as the article intimates.

A question: I will be picking the book up near the end of the month; wanted to do it on day-one, but money was a bit tight, so later will be better in that regard. I've read a few reviews and am curious about one thing: for those who may already be well into it, I am slightly worried that the reviews all say it does take a while to actually get to the fantastic world. Even the review here on CD mentioned that. I don't know the exact page, but one review mentioned it was a couple-hundred pages before the steps to the world are descended. (The reviewers were okay with it, though, if I recall)

I'm not sure that's the correct move for this, and I concede in the end it may be no big deal, but wanted to see if anyone had an opinion so far on that aspect. Also, I suppose it may not be as long as one thinks - is it me or are King's books not really as long as they used to be? It seems, again maybe just to me, that font size has been altered at times in a way that make the books longer than they appear to be. I remember thinking this especially with If It Bleeds.

Publishers Weekly says that Fairy Tale has sold over 128,000 copies so far. That was good for first place in both the overall list and the hardcover fiction list. Hard to recall, but I think King doesn't always make it at top on the overall list, and that's really the one an author would want to hit, I assume. So, congratulations to him...

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
    Not surprising this will be adapted, obviously:

Paul Greengrass To direct Stephen King’s New Bestseller Fairy Tale – Deadline

I always laugh when I read that the price for the option is $1. I know his reasoning, of course, but I hope it is a really short option period. He does receive a generous profit participation, as the article intimates.

A question: I will be picking the book up near the end of the month; wanted to do it on day-one, but money was a bit tight, so later will be better in that regard. I've read a few reviews and am curious about one thing: for those who may already be well into it, I am slightly worried that the reviews all say it does take a while to actually get to the fantastic world. Even the review here on CD mentioned that. I don't know the exact page, but one review mentioned it was a couple-hundred pages before the steps to the world are descended. (The reviewers were okay with it, though, if I recall)

I'm not sure that's the correct move for this, and I concede in the end it may be no big deal, but wanted to see if anyone had an opinion so far on that aspect. Also, I suppose it may not be as long as one thinks - is it me or are King's books not really as long as they used to be? It seems, again maybe just to me, that font size has been altered at times in a way that make the books longer than they appear to be. I remember thinking this especially with If It Bleeds.

Publishers Weekly says that Fairy Tale has sold over 128,000 copies so far. That was good for first place in both the overall list and the hardcover fiction list. Hard to recall, but I think King doesn't always make it at top on the overall list, and that's really the one an author would want to hit, I assume. So, congratulations to him...
    I am 260 pages into the book. It is a total of 598 pages. The font is small, and this feels like a mid to large sized story. About the first 150 pages or so are set up to the journey. Many people may find it rather slow, but I loved it. It reminded me of Stewart O'Nans writing. Like you are watching people live their lives. The story draws a lot from Grimms Fairy Tales and has a Wizard of Oz feel to me. If he does not go off the rails later in the book this will be one of my top SK reads.

Comment

That is great news. I am a little nervous about getting into a new SK book these days so to hear a positive is excellent.

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I am 260 pages into the book. It is a total of 598 pages. The font is small, and this feels like a mid to large sized story. About the first 150 pages or so are set up to the journey. Many people may find it rather slow, but I loved it. It reminded me of Stewart O'Nans writing. Like you are watching people live their lives. The story draws a lot from Grimms Fairy Tales and has a Wizard of Oz feel to me. If he does not go off the rails later in the book this will be one of my top SK reads.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I will add to anyone looking for a classic horror story, this is not horror. It is closer to The Eyes of the Dragon but a better story.

Comment

EOTD is one of my favorite SK stories so I think I should probably start reading this one now.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          I will add to anyone looking for a classic horror story, this is not horror. It is closer to The Eyes of the Dragon but a better story.
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
          X