"Welcome to Derry"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Welcome to Derry"

I've read that HBO Max is developing a prequel to It called Welcome to Derry. Any thoughts on this?

One of my questions is: Did King have a say in this particular brand extension? Almost seems like he didn't, because although I am not a King expert by any means, I would think he wouldn't necessarily be interested in seeing such a project put into production. I don't think he's really into franchise creation. This brings up the question, does he own the rights any longer to It? I know I've read that on certain books he didn't exactly own them, maybe the earlier ones; I hope he at least got paid for the recent It films.

I think this could be interesting, although honestly, sometimes I am getting tired out by all these prequels/sequels/etc. I read that one of the things that attracted the director to this idea of a prequel is that It has been around for millions of years and has its own mythology. That might make for a few interesting prologue-type scenes where It maybe tangles with dinosaurs, or cavemen. We could see pictures of cave paintings depicting It (then again, was any of that in the book? As I write this out, it's seeming familiar to me; maybe I'll have to check, I'm thinking of the smoke-hut scene (or whatever it was called in the novel) where the kids get visions of the coming of the creature).

I always thought Derry could be the basis for a series, called Derry, of course. Mike Hanlon could have investigated strange goings-on in the city, it could have been an X-Files-type thing. Not all the strange stuff would have been tied to the clown. I suppose this type of set-up could have been done for 'Salem's Lot as well.

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
    I've read that HBO Max is developing a prequel to It called Welcome to Derry. Any thoughts on this?

One of my questions is: Did King have a say in this particular brand extension? Almost seems like he didn't, because although I am not a King expert by any means, I would think he wouldn't necessarily be interested in seeing such a project put into production. I don't think he's really into franchise creation. This brings up the question, does he own the rights any longer to It? I know I've read that on certain books he didn't exactly own them, maybe the earlier ones; I hope he at least got paid for the recent It films.

I think this could be interesting, although honestly, sometimes I am getting tired out by all these prequels/sequels/etc. I read that one of the things that attracted the director to this idea of a prequel is that It has been around for millions of years and has its own mythology. That might make for a few interesting prologue-type scenes where It maybe tangles with dinosaurs, or cavemen. We could see pictures of cave paintings depicting It (then again, was any of that in the book? As I write this out, it's seeming familiar to me; maybe I'll have to check, I'm thinking of the smoke-hut scene (or whatever it was called in the novel) where the kids get visions of the coming of the creature).

I always thought Derry could be the basis for a series, called Derry, of course. Mike Hanlon could have investigated strange goings-on in the city, it could have been an X-Files-type thing. Not all the strange stuff would have been tied to the clown. I suppose this type of set-up could have been done for 'Salem's Lot as well.
    I've got to admit that I was not too excited when I heard this announcement; however, I will wait for more details until truly forming a negative opinion. That being said, if King isn't involved in this in a huge way, then I will most likely be out. Not sure I like the idea of other people expanding the "It" mythos when King hasn't done that himself. Am super worried that they will try to make the clown-character aspect of IT into the focal point or give IT some sort of tragic backstory. For me, IT should remain a somewhat unknowable cosmic entity. Hopefully, I am completely wrong in my expectations. We shall see.

Comment

Sholloman81, never thought of that, you bring up a good point ---- probably best not to go too cliche and focus on the clown-disguise. Granted, that is the most famous thing about the creature, but there is more to it...and It. As for a tragic backstory, yes, don't do that. Here's a great example of what you're talking about: Hannibal Lecter. In the books and onscreen, as we found out more about him and what made him tick, while it was interesting, it did sort-of ruin the mystery...sometimes it is better not to explain the villain.

What I've always said about It is that King should write a short-story sequel, sort of do a "One for the Road" deal. I doubt he'd want to do a long novel involving the cosmic creature; just have some fun with a shorter work. You never know, that could happen one day; who would have thought The Shining would have been continued. Arguably, It is more deserving of a continuation...

Comment

HBO Max will likely just give Pennywise boobs and then really veer off into a tangential storyline.
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

More boobs can usually be a win, but not for Pennywise . . .

I feel like there isn't a lot of original material that's being made into shows anymore (that's what happens when you have a billion streaming channels - YOU NEED CONTENT! and IP content is easiest to find) but I really dislike how everything needs an original story or prequel or whatever.

I just watched Ex Machima for the second time and it's great as a standalone. I don't need to know what happened before or after. I feel similarly to IT. EXCEPT with a sequel - 27 years between 1957 and 1984 - I would have loved something in 2011 . . . because you know IT is still out there ...

Comment

Working...
          X