'Willie the Wierdo' in McSweeneys's Quarterly Concern #65:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Willie the Wierdo' in McSweeneys's Quarterly Concern #65:

I believe this is supposed to be released this week but am unable to confirm it. King's website lists 09/16/2021 but McSweeney's site has no mention. May be delayed due to paper shortages.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    I believe this is supposed to be released this week but am unable to confirm it. King's website lists 09/16/2021 but McSweeney's site has no mention. May be delayed due to paper shortages.
    I feel like I heard it was delayed. Checking now.
    Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brian James Freeman View Post

I feel like I heard it was delayed. Checking now.
      I checked Amazon and it lists the release date as January 6, 2022 so it appears that you are correct.

Comment

What is the premise of this tale?

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
          What is the premise of this tale?
          I have seen noting regarding the actual story. Just the title.

Comment

Is there an update on this?

Comment

I have read that the magazine was released last month. Anyone care to give a review of the tale?

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
                I have read that the magazine was released last month. Anyone care to give a review of the tale?
                I have had it since release but have yet to read the story. I will try and get to it this week and leave my thoughts.

Comment

Sorry just replying now...that would be great...curious about the story...

Comment

Finally read the story last night, so here are my thoughts. Will be vague as I think saying much about a story this short would not be possible without spoilers.
                    Very short story that takes around 10 minutes to read. The story is about a young boy named Willie and the relationship with his grandfather. Willie lives with and older sister, his parents and his grandfather. Willie has societal issues and is not able to connect with other people. This leads to the nickname that is the title. The grandfather who came to be with them after the life of his wife has similar issues. The two can spend hours sitting and talking with each other. The story takes place at the start of the pandemic and touches on some of the unique aspects of that snapshot in time. The story was fine, not great and not horrible. Some of Kings very short stories pack quite a punch but I think this would have been better suited with more time to develop. It is a stand-alone story with no obvious connections to the wider King universe. Overall, I would give it a low end 3 out of 5.

Comment

Working...
                    X