Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DOLLAR BABY FILM FESTIVAL TO SCREEN UNRELEASED STEPHEN KING FILMS ONLINE FOR FREE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOLLAR BABY FILM FESTIVAL TO SCREEN UNRELEASED STEPHEN KING FILMS ONLINE FOR FREE

April 23rd through April 25th:

SKRulesSocialSchedule+(5).jpg
    Dollar Baby film festival — Barker Street Cinema

Not sure how many I will get to watch but I am going to try to at least get a few in.

Pretty cool. Should be some good watching.

Comment

Looks interesting but I can't watch things on the computer. I see there may be a youtube link so maybe I can watch from the ROKU.

Thanks for the heads up.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
        Looks interesting but I can't watch things on the computer. I see there may be a youtube link so maybe I can watch from the ROKU.

Thanks for the heads up.
        My Plan is to watch via Youtube on the TV.

Comment

Thank you for the information. I will watch a few through YouTube on my Firestick. Especially "One for the Road".
          I'm the Caretaker of Room 217. I've always been the Caretaker of Room 217.

Comment

So about half way through night one and I have to day I am loving this. They have two or three people who introduce each story and then they conduct a brief interview with the film maker after each film. There is generally 15 to 30 minutes between films. In the beginning they were having audio problems and I thought "this is going to be painful". Then they had audio issues with the first few guests. They cleaned up their act pretty quickly though. I have to admit that the movies have been of higher quality than I was expecting. I will be modifying my weekend activities to ensure I see as much of this that I can!

Comment

Watched everything on day one but must admit some I just heard as I needed to get some things done. May favorite two from day one were "Dedication" and "Everything's Eventual". Dedication was in Spanish but conveyed the dramatic feel of the story well. Everything's Eventual was the only full length film the first day clocking in at 1 hour and 18 minutes. It is another that I felt conveyed the story well and the pace worked well in a ling format.

Half way through day two and I must admit the story I was the most looking forward to disappointed. I really wanted to enjoy "LT's Theory of Pets" but the movie leaned in on the dramatic aspects while only touching on the humor, which I consider a fail. The best part of day two so far was a half hour interview with Bev Vincent. Learned some things about him personally and also learned that he was involved in the "Gotham Cafe" dollar baby. Learned that this one will probably never air again as the rights to the music used in the film have expired.

Comment

Man Paranoid was so good

Comment

Originally posted by Parviz View Post
                  Man Paranoid was so good
                  Paranoid was fantastic!

Comment

So my day two thoughts:
                    I was really looing forward to "LT's Theory of Pets" and if failed me. I mentioned it above so will not go into it. The other highly anticipated movie was "In the Death Room". They actually did a decent job on the parts they covered. The first thing I noticed was a change of location and I wondered why they would do that. Well it turns out they dropped the last 20% percent of the story. Although it was well done I wish it had been five to ten minutes longer and told the full story.

"Paranoid" was the best of the day with "I am the Doorway", "Popsy" and "The Man Who Loved Flowers" being very strong movies. There was a different "The Man Who Loved Flowers" on day one and this one was much better.

I am really enjoying this and hope they are able to hold this every year or two. My biggest regret is that I did not clear my schedule enough and have needed to do other things at times, taking my attention away.

Day Three starts in about an hour!

Comment

I wish I had been able to see this. I am most curious about Gray Matter. Did that do anything with the little piece of micro-fiction in the story, that paragraph about the spider? I always wanted to do a dollar-baby deal for Matter and just basically do the spider story - have two of the characters in a bar discussing the need to go help the kid with his turning-into-a-blob father, only to have one relate the spider tale...then cut to scenes from it as it was being related. I read that only two minutes of a dollar-baby film could be excerpted on social-media platforms, and I always thought, maybe this could be done in two minutes...if that were to be the case, would it be a loophole to showing the entire film anywhere? Anyway, as that is just random musing - I've always thought that paragraph was one of the best stories of its kind, even when I first read it, when the term flash-fiction wasn't really well-known.

The better quality of the short films was mentioned - I was thinking about that, and came to the conclusion that it might not be too surprising. I assume there's a lot of crowd-funding of budgets going on, and that is probably helping out a great deal on the economic side of things.

King should really consider promoting the dollar-baby stuff and allowing more of it to be done. I know that only a set number of stories can be optioned and that sometimes even that collection is narrowed down if commercial rights are sold (I believe that recently happened with Matter, which became a Creepshow-series episode). In fact, an interesting model could be developed for it - imagine a streamer such as Shudder offering to showcase the works and paying a small license fee to King for the privilege. He could make some money, maybe even donate it to charity (like his foundation). The people behind the works get exposure and the excitement of being on a streamer. Shudder - or whatever service - gets a long-tail portfolio of content that increases its volume available to subscribers, perhaps reducing churn. Would love to see King consider this (maybe someone could Twitter him about this? I unfortunately eschew most social media). I could even see some celebrities, maybe even children of celebrities, participating (in fact, if I recall, Richard Chizmar's son has made a King film, although I am not certain if it was commercial-rights or dollar-b rights).

Is there a replay available? I know that there probably isn't because of rights issues, but thought I'd ask.

Comment

Hey there, thanks for sharing about the Dollar Baby Film Festival! It sounds like there are some really great films to watch, and I appreciate your honest review of the ones you've seen so far. I definitely need to check it out myself.

Comment

Working...
                        X