No announcement yet.

BILLY SUMMERS coming Aug. 3rd, 2021...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the link to the interview. It's always interesting to hear about the process.

On a side note I never preordered this book. I need to fix that PDQ.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
      Thanks for the link to the interview. It's always interesting to hear about the process.

On a side note I never preordered this book. I need to fix that PDQ.
      Started the Audio book this morning. Ran to Powell's to grab the book and they did not have them yet. That is the last two King releases that I did not find on release day. Did run over to Barnes and Noble and they had plenty.

About 25% into the story and I am loving it. It starts with a slow burn but the story just sucks you in. Loving the straight story telling without the supernatural aspects and hope he stays true to that!

Comment

Glad to hear that this sounds like a good read. I have Target and Walmart as book store options...So I ordered a copy from CD. Costs way more but I hate going to either of those mega-stores.

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Started the Audio book this morning. Ran to Powell's to grab the book and they did not have them yet. That is the last two King releases that I did not find on release day. Did run over to Barnes and Noble and they had plenty.

About 25% into the story and I am loving it. It starts with a slow burn but the story just sucks you in. Loving the straight story telling without the supernatural aspects and hope he stays true to that!

Comment

Glad to hear that this sounds like a good read. I have Target and Walmart as book store options...So I ordered a copy from CD. Costs way more but I hate going to either of those mega-stores.

Those are two stores I avoid like the plague. I know that I am very fortunate to live near Powell's and have even had books shipped from them when they were closed due to Covid. My go to book store's are Powell's, Costco and Barnes and Noble. I always go pick King's new releases on release day. With later I ran to Costco and then Barnes and Noble and neither had it. Still bugs me that I did not get it on release day.

Comment

I do have a Books A Million about 30 minutes away but they treat their books like garbage. They are typically banged up with stickers on the DJ. At least Walmart and Target books are usually in decent shape but they do put the stickers on the cover as well!

Removing a sticker isn't that hard but I've had mixed success. The application of the adhesive remover can be a little tricky for me and I've left marks on the DJ in the past. I have been buying remaindered, discounted books, from the Dollar General and I have been practicing on them.

Those are two stores I avoid like the plague. I know that I am very fortunate to live near Powell's and have even had books shipped from them when they were closed due to Covid. My go to book store's are Powell's, Costco and Barnes and Noble. I always go pick King's new releases on release day. With later I ran to Costco and then Barnes and Noble and neither had it. Still bugs me that I did not get it on release day.

Comment

I do have a Books A Million about 30 minutes away but they treat their books like garbage. They are typically banged up with stickers on the DJ. At least Walmart and Target books are usually in decent shape but they do put the stickers on the cover as well!

Removing a sticker isn't that hard but I've had mixed success. The application of the adhesive remover can be a little tricky for me and I've left marks on the DJ in the past. I have been buying remaindered, discounted books, from the Dollar General and I have been practicing on them.

The price sticker Costco uses has become tougher to remove. I have still been able to get them off though, Powell's rarely applies stickers to new books. Barnes and Noble has a percent off sticker for best sellers but they come off easily. I have a local used book store that I have stopped going to due to the stickers they use.

Comment

I feel the same way about Target & Walmart! I also ordered my copy w/slipcase from CD during their last sale, which I believe was a 44% off sale; so, the price of the book for me actually ended-up being cheaper than just about any other option out there. Can't wait to get to give this a read once it has shipped.

Comment

Will pick up my copy from Costco the next time I'm down there.

Has anyone heard any rumors yet about a signed/limited edition of this one?
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                    Will pick up my copy from Costco the next time I'm down there.

Has anyone heard any rumors yet about a signed/limited edition of this one?
                    Have heard no hints of an signed/limited. Would have fit well in the Hard Case family in my view.

Comment

Finished Billy Summers. Loved it. My favorite King story since 11/22/63.

Comment

Finished Billy Summers. Loved it. My favorite King story since 11/22/63.
                        Okay, now that’s encouraging, as 11/22/63 was my last satisfying King read — and very satisfying, I loved it. If BS is even close to that experience, I’ll be very pleased.

Comment

Okay, now that’s encouraging, as 11/22/63 was my last satisfying King read — and very satisfying, I loved it. If BS is even close to that experience, I’ll be very pleased.
                          11/22/63 exceeds Billy Summers. Billy Summers was a very satisfying read. It is a pure story that only relies on the story. While it contains a strong connection to 'The Shining' and a clear nod to 'The Stand' it really stands on its own with no supernatural elements. Without going into spoilers it really is two stories that give a single picture of who Billy Summers is and what shaped him. It also has a very satisfying ending. The story also references 'The Things They Carried' a couple of times. That book has actually been on my mind recently and shortly before I started this it was also mentioned in an interview by Ken Burns talking about its influence on his Vietnam documentary. Probably time for a re-read of that one.

Comment

Interesting connection. I loved O’Brien’s book, so that influence on BS is additionally encouraging, which I’m thankful for…all the negative comments about BS on Twitter had started to kind of kill my buzz about the book.

Comment

Interesting connection. I loved O’Brien’s book, so that influence on BS is additionally encouraging, which I’m thankful for…all the negative comments about BS on Twitter had started to kind of kill my buzz about the book.
                              I consider 'The Things They Carry' an important piece of the American story. King references it as possibly the greatest story ever written about the American war experience. I am paraphrasing there as I am too lazy to find the passage. I have not seen the negative comments about 'Billy Summers' on Twitter. Your Twitter feed is how I learned there was a Franklin mint edition of 'The Things the Carried', which I know own.

Comment

I consider 'The Things They Carry' an important piece of the American story. King references it as possibly the greatest story ever written about the American war experience. I am paraphrasing there as I am too lazy to find the passage. I have not seen the negative comments about 'Billy Summers' on Twitter. Your Twitter feed is how I learned there was a Franklin mint edition of 'The Things the Carried', which I know own.
                                There are a ton of great Non-Fiction books about the Vietnam War, including the French experience in Indochina, however, my two favorite fiction titles are A reckoning for kings : a novel of the Tet Offensive Bunch and The Soldier's Prize Dan Cragg.

Comment

Working...
                                X