Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stephen King on gun control

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/guns/

I just read this one. He's spot-on with his description of the media circus, which is one reason I stopped watching any of the so-called news shows 23 years ago (coincided with my introduction to American TV). Worth reading.

He also mentions that Rage has been pulled from publication, and is no longer included in The Bachman Books compilation.

Knowing his stance on a lot of things, I'm not intetrested in reading this. I like his fiction, but not his non-ficiton.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I thought this was a well written piece that brought up many valid points especially regarding the extremes on both sides of the issue. Whether you agree or disagree with Mr. King's opinions or conclusions I think this is an essay worth reading.

Comment

Same here for the most part. I do like his writing on baseball and horror. I do not like to talk politics with people because it can get very messy. It is not that I do not care I just do not want to be told my views are wrong because they don't line up with theirs.
        Originally posted by srboone View Post
        Knowing his stance on a lot of things, I'm not intetrested in reading this. I like his fiction, but not his non-ficiton.

Comment

Not interested in King's opinion, all i know is that the gun laws in the US are wrong and people will keep dying until they are changed.

Comment

Good thing you live in the UK, then, Tom.

I like my guns. And anybody who really wants to know if I have an automatic weapon can break into my house.
            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Yeah it is!

Comment

It AIN't the guns that kill people. It's the mentally disturbed individuals who pull the triggers of those guns. The same knee-jerk reaction to gun bans could and should be applied to automobiles and cell phones. Woe be the man or institution that comes after my women, my children and grandchildren, my dog or my guns. I've fed my family several hundred tons of meat using my guns and NEVER in the forty years I've owned them have they ever been pointed at a human being. IT AIN'T THE GUNS.

Comment

I get that reaction from everyone, but it's a fact that there are less gun related deaths in countries with strict gun laws, than those with laws like the US.

Comment

Hi guys,

This convo is bordering on political, which is against forum rules for obvious reasons. We all have strong beliefs about gun control and what not, so lets let it sit at that. I'd rather not have to lock the topic or something. Thanks!
                    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

No arguments from me but...Go Canada! That should tell you my opinion...

Comment

I realize there are a lot of forums out there, some more specialized than others... but, aside from posters getting "mad" at each other, what's the rationale for certain topics being off limits? I'm just asking as a curious participant, having been on the end of a "no no" talk myself once when asking people their feelings about religion.

There's an awful lot of stuff out there in the world, and I know it's your place to say "Not this or that", but sometimes it kinda makes it feel like there's something missing. Some of the most enlightening conversations I've had have come about on a digital gaming site and had nothing to do with games.

That's just my opinion, of course. I love CD and enjoy the forums to a certain extent, but it tends to just end up feeling like people talking at each other instead of to each other. I don't "know" the people here in a way that I do on other forums, because we never really get below the surface of anything. Telling me what books you like really doesn't tell me anything about you as a person. But anyway, I don't want to come off whiny or anything, I'm just trying to be objectively curious.

Comment

For me this is a place to go to get away from most of the stuff that I have to deal with in my day and in my life.I like the way the forum is set up. It is a fun place. I understand that this topic came up because of Stephen Kings essay but there are other places to talk about this issue. I still feel like a lot of these people here I could enjoy their company elsewhere. Light and fluffy is ok with me.

Comment

All right already. He said chill, we have all chilled, let's let this die a quiet death and move away from it like it stinks of decay. I for one am totally over it. I like light and fluffy too. I want a copy of Doctor Sleep so badly, but until my meager tax return comes in and I can get some bills caught up, I'm tapped.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                              I actually agree with many of his views. I always like the intro and/or afterwords of his books and stories. I especially liked his afterword of 11.22.63.

Comment

Working...
                              X