No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

200 pages into BLOOD MERIDIAN, and brutal is an understatement.
    http://www.kealanpatrickburke.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kealan Patrick Burke View Post
      It gets even darker on the re-read, I'm sure you will want to check out his other books if you haven't already after reading that one, Child of God is particularly naughty, can't recommend all of his works highly enough, my only complaint is that he hasn't written more

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
        It gets even darker on the re-read, I'm sure you will want to check out his other books if you haven't already after reading that one, Child of God is particularly naughty, can't recommend all of his works highly enough, my only complaint is that he hasn't written more
        The only other book of his that I've read is THE ROAD, and it's one of my top ten favorite books of all time (thus far.)

Comment

The only other book of his that I've read is THE ROAD, and it's one of my top ten favorite books of all time (thus far.)
          The Road is a perfect book and the first I read from McCarthy as well. It would also be in my top ten if not for Blood Meridian. Roger Ebert was a big fan of McCarthy's and always said that Suttree (his funniest book by far) was his Masterpiece. It's hard to choose from those three which I like the best but I always go with Blood Meridian because The Judge is one of the most frightening creations I've ever come across in modern literature. I still need to read the Border Trilogy but I put it off because of how sad it will be once I have read everything by him and have to wait for his new one. Silly of me, I know.

Comment

Reading, and enjoying, Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Comment

Tommy: I just read this line of dialogue by The Judge that sent chills up my spine:

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."

Comment

I'll have to add Suttree to the list.

Comment

Tommy: I just read this line of dialogue by The Judge that sent chills up my spine:

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
                  The ending will really creep you out, I had to read it a few times just to make sure I had read what I thought I had read, The Judge lives in my nightmares, but in a good way

Comment

I'll have to add Suttree to the list.
                    Child of God can be read in one sitting but it will leave you thoroughly freaked out, it is McCarthy's loose take on Ed Gein, The Outer Dark is another good one about a brother and sister who have a baby together and well....you can imagine what McCarthy can do with that situation. Suttree takes a while to read because it is his longest work and the way it's written is reminiscent of Ulysses, I actually could do with a reread of Suttree myself, sorry to babble but I absolutely love McCarthy!
                    Last edited by Tommy; 07-03-2013, 04:30 PM.

Comment

I'm reading GATES OF EDEN by Ethan Coen.
                      That was a good collection. It's been a while since I read it, and my copy has been loaned out to my best friend.
                      "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Pretty sure I have a copy of this on one of my bookcases, may have to bring it with me on vacation. Lots of books demanding my attention though, lol. Still not sure if I will bring the new Khaled Hosseini book with me not. Leaning towards not bringing it though as I would rather read that book in private so I get more into it. Likely would be more guarded towards getting emotionally invested in a book with others around me.
                        WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                        Spoiler!

Comment

Last month, I read Speaks the Nightbird by Robert McCammon and absolutely loved it, then Joyland and it was quite a lot of fun, enjoyed it and today I finished up Inferno by Dan Brown and while I appreciate the tour of Florence and Venice provided, the story, though disturbing, was a bit slight and almost like something written for young adults, it is a page turner though and the first I've read by him so I don't have anything to compare it to

Comment

Read Angels & Demons. I've only read that one and The Da Vinci Code. The Da Vinci Code was good, but found Angels & Demons to be a more enjoyable read. Have not read any of the books in that series yet though.
                            WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                            Spoiler!

Comment

I agree, Angels was better.

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
                              Read Angels & Demons. I've only read that one and The Da Vinci Code. The Da Vinci Code was good, but found Angels & Demons to be a more enjoyable read. Have not read any of the books in that series yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                                Child of God can be read in one sitting but it will leave you thoroughly freaked out, it is McCarthy's loose take on Ed Gein, The Outer Dark is another good one about a brother and sister who have a baby together and well....you can imagine what McCarthy can do with that situation. Suttree takes a while to read because it is his longest work and the way it's written is reminiscent of Ulysses, I actually could do with a reread of Suttree myself, sorry to babble but I absolutely love McCarthy!
                                I found Ulysses torture to read, but CHILD OF GOD sounds right up my alley.

Comment

Working...
                                X