BIRD BOX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    More than three months after this 7/17 post, and there are still 359 copies left, so that's just 16 copies sold in that three-month period. I was a little skeptical about the volume's sales potential at its $75 price point, but even I didn't think it would be selling this slow. I would chalk it up to Malerman's lack of popularity of visibility or ?? among genre fans who collect limiteds, but Earthling seems to be doing okay with the S/L of Goblin (think I saw it was 90% sold out...?) with I believe a similar copy limitation, so I'm puzzled why the contrast between the two projects. Is it price ($50 GOBLIN vs. $75 BIRD BOX) or is it more than that?
    Here's what I think with a numbered list and everything:
    1. BIRD BOX was a huge hit and the market was saturated with copies and all the casual readers who wanted to read a buzzy author read it and moved on to the next buzzy author
    2. Josh Malerman isn't "established" as an author deserving of the limited treatment buy the people who collect limited editions--maybe they see him as a buzzy flash in the pan
    3. This is a first release of GOBLIN so there are no copies (other than the ARCS) floating around. Over 400 of the (thousands? millions?) casual readers who read BIRD BOX and follow Malerman decided this he is worthy of this purchase (they're right!).
    4. The price difference makes GOBLIN an easier purchase--cheaper and never before read

BUT STILL--I am floored that DRP can't move this book. It has a NEW BIRD BOX story, stunning cover art, badass interior art, and it's signed by Malerman. I guess it's possible that when Malerman's career goes bonkers (apparently he's written something like 14-27 novels that he plans on publishing) people will look back on these editions and gobble them up. It's also possible that I'm insane.

Comment

Sorry for the garbage typos in my post.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
        Here's what I think with a numbered list and everything:
        1. BIRD BOX was a huge hit and the market was saturated with copies and all the casual readers who wanted to read a buzzy author read it and moved on to the next buzzy author
        2. Josh Malerman isn't "established" as an author deserving of the limited treatment buy the people who collect limited editions--maybe they see him as a buzzy flash in the pan
        Well-conceived theory, Jeff -- and I think those two points are probably particularly apt. Sometimes I forget we S/L buyers are a fraction of the readership who buy horror...who are a fraction of people who buy fantastical fiction...who are a fraction of people who buy genre fiction...who are a fraction of people who buy books...who are a fraction of the consumer marketplace. Still, sometimes having a popular trade release can translate into S/L demand...but that doesn't appear to have happened this time around, and your #2 point may suggest why.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Well put, both of you.

Comment

Plus, wasn't it part of the Halloween series for Earthling?? That could push sales as well.
            Last edited by mhatchett; 11-03-2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
              Plus, wasn't it part of the Halloween series for Earthling?? That could push sales as well.
              Yeah, that's true too. I'm sure that there were some automatic sales by completists trying to keep their matching numbers--no matter who the author was.

Comment

Yeah, that's true too. I'm sure that there were some automatic sales by completists trying to keep their matching numbers--no matter who the author was.
                I'm still trying to fathom that Jeff may be insane! So should we jump on this book in case this guy is the next King? Or maybe pick it up when it goes on sale due to the slow sales

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                  Well-conceived theory, Jeff -- and I think those two points are probably particularly apt. Sometimes I forget we S/L buyers are a fraction of the readership who buy horror...who are a fraction of people who buy fantastical fiction...who are a fraction of people who buy genre fiction...who are a fraction of people who buy books...who are a fraction of the consumer marketplace. Still, sometimes having a popular trade release can translate into S/L demand...but that doesn't appear to have happened this time around, and your #2 point may suggest why.
                  But I am also wondering if Dark Regions is struggling. They also didn't sell out of their limited edition of OFF SEASON with a bunch of new content. Well, officially, they did sell it out--but only after taking about 150 copies out of preorder. It's more like their print run for the limited was 350 instead of 500. I remember when the number available for preorder dropped by 150 overnight after holding steady for months. There's someone on eBay selling a PC limited who states that the print run was 300 with a bunch of "overruns" resulting in the PC edition up for auction. I wonder who the seller was and how the seller came about that number.

Do people not know DRP exists? Is DRP overpriced? Is DRP betting on the wrong authors? Why is no one biting?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                    I'm still trying to fathom that Jeff may be insane! So should we jump on this book in case this guy is the next King? Or maybe pick it up when it goes on sale due to the slow sales
                    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

I would jump on GOBLIN because this is the only scheduled printing for this book and it is selling out. If you like Malerman as much as I do (from this one book) you can always snag a copy of BIRD BOX later. With the way DRP is holding on to them it looks like you'll have a bunch of time.

Comment

But I am also wondering if Dark Regions is struggling. They also didn't sell out of their limited edition of OFF SEASON with a bunch of new content. Well, officially, they did sell it out--but only after taking about 150 copies out of preorder. It's more like their print run for the limited was 350 instead of 500. I remember when the number available for preorder dropped by 150 overnight after holding steady for months. There's someone on eBay selling a PC limited who states that the print run was 300 with a bunch of "overruns" resulting in the PC edition up for auction. I wonder who the seller was and how the seller came about that number.

Do people not know DRP exists? Is DRP overpriced? Is DRP betting on the wrong authors? Why is no one biting?
                      In regards to DRP they were one of the first independent publishers I discovered, if I recall correctly before CD even. At the time they didn't have quite as many bigger name horror authors, like Barker, Campbell, Ketchum etc. but their prices were lower and they had a very customer friendly grassroots feel. I guess that can't last forever. The direction they've taken recently has soured me on them a little bit. Large mark ups on other publisher books, the crowd funding, the price hikes of their own products (without much increase in quality) and some stories of less than desirable customer issues. I used to be able to make inquiries, comments etc. and get feedback, now unless it's a purchase, or directly related to purchase, comments seem to be ignored. I guess not everyone can be CD, Brian and the crew do a great job of being available and friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                        In regards to DRP they were one of the first independent publishers I discovered, if I recall correctly before CD even. At the time they didn't have quite as many bigger name horror authors, like Barker, Campbell, Ketchum etc. but their prices were lower and they had a very customer friendly grassroots feel. I guess that can't last forever. The direction they've taken recently has soured me on them a little bit. Large mark ups on other publisher books, the crowd funding, the price hikes of their own products (without much increase in quality) and some stories of less than desirable customer issues. I used to be able to make inquiries, comments etc. and get feedback, now unless it's a purchase, or directly related to purchase, comments seem to be ignored. I guess not everyone can be CD, Brian and the crew do a great job of being available and friendly.
                        I think the focus, the look, arguably even the customer relations of DRP changed somewhat when Chris Morey took over the company several years ago from his father, Joe Morey, who was the founder of DRP back in 1985. That's when the editorial vibe change started happening, as well as the crowdfunding campaigns, and so on. I think both men ran / are running a fine company, but the different way in which they did/do it may please some and displease others. Frankly, I'm impressed that anyone can make a go of a small-press company in this day and age....there're a lot of small-press corpses in their wake (DarkFuse is only the latest in a loonngg line of many) which attest to that.
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

You're right. When I started over there at DRP Chris was just starting I think. And you know what? Good on him for helping to grow the brand and following in his father's footsteps. I hope they can stay afloat and succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                            I've never purchased from them directly so have no experience with their customer service. They do seem to mark up prices of other publisher's books. But most others seem to do the same as well; with the exception of CD that I've seen. Matter of fact, if you're a member of the CDCC, you usually get a discount on other publisher's books. I didn't like their campaign awhile back where you had to buy something in order to preorder a certain title. That's a bit ridiculous IMO. I don't mind crowd funding so much as long as it's something I'm interested in and it's not a bad thing IMO. As long as there any crazy requirements. Pretty much get what ya pay for. Their certain Halloween grab bag deals didn't seem bad. Just nothing that interested me personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                              I've never purchased from them directly so have no experience with their customer service. They do seem to mark up prices of other publisher's books. But most others seem to do the same as well; with the exception of CD that I've seen. Matter of fact, if you're a member of the CDCC, you usually get a discount on other publisher's books. I didn't like their campaign awhile back where you had to buy something in order to preorder a certain title. That's a bit ridiculous IMO. I don't mind crowd funding so much as long as it's something I'm interested in and it's not a bad thing IMO. As long as there any crazy requirements. Pretty much get what ya pay for. Their certain Halloween grab bag deals didn't seem bad. Just nothing that interested me personally.
                              I've only purchased a grab bag from them last year and I wasn't impressed. I still haven't read anything from that haul. The first book that I preordered from them was the lettered OFF SEASON. And that should be coming in the next few weeks. So far I haven't gotten a shipping notice. That'll be my first experience with customer service and product quality. Actually, they did send me the original Chadbourne art very quickly after I bought the lettered BIRD BOX. So the service in that regard was good. After OFF SEASON it'll be BIRD BOX. After that, I don't know. Nothing on their horizon seems to draw me.

I am rooting for them, though.

Comment

I've waffled a little with Dark Regions over the years, but Off Season (limited) is a fantastic production.
                                “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                                -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X