Your Holy Grail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Holy Grail?

I thought I'd start a thread for everyone to post what their Holly Grail of collectible books is. I'm going to post 2, one being the one I had if money wasn't an issue the other being a more realistic option.

The first is a 1st edition, 1st printing set of The Lord of the Rings trillogy. This is if I had all the money in the world, as that's about what it would cost me. The second is a 1st edition, 1st printing of The Sword of Shannara. This a bit more reasonable and would probably only cost me between 500 and 700 dollars.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

I'll post 3:

1st/1st of The Gunslinger

Asbestos Firestarter

Skeleton Crew (The limited with the zipper case)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
      I thought I'd start a thread for everyone to post what their Holly Grail of collectible books is. I'm going to post 2, one being the one I had if money wasn't an issue the other being a more realistic option.

The first is a 1st edition, 1st printing set of The Lord of the Rings trillogy. This is if I had all the money in the world, as that's about what it would cost me. The second is a 1st edition, 1st printing of The Sword of Shannara. This a bit more reasonable and would probably only cost me between 500 and 700 dollars.
      Oh, you mean like the copy of TSOS I had as a kid and just donated to my city's public library when I was 12? In retrospect tho, I wish I hadn't done that...

I've never really thought about it before, but I'd have to say a 1st/1st of The Worm Ouroborous by ER Eddison would be high on the list--signed if posssible. i don't even know if one exists...
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Hmmm, so many to choose...

The uber-deluxe of Centipede's Salem's Lot.

The lettered states of Phantasia Press' Startide Rising and The Uplift War.

Sideshow Collectibles' deluxe Catalogs Volumes 9 & 10.

The Art of Ralph McQuarrie boxed limited edition (Dreams & Visions Press).

The Official Michael Jackson Opus.

Frank Frazetta: Testament leather-bound edition (Underwood Books).

The Cusp of Something lettered hardcover (Elastic Press - last remaining book to complete my lettered EP set).

As Dead as Leaves: The Art of Caniglia lettered edition.
        Last edited by fleggett; 09-21-2011, 10:12 PM.
        The angry book collector.
        www.awfulbooks.com

Comment

Bradbury Dark Carnival! I will save for it and get it one day. Just the idea of it is so cool. His first book, Arkham House, just neat.

Comment

Bachman's The Regulators - lettered.

sk

Comment

I picked mine up a couple years ago...a signed 1st HC of Charles Beaumont's THE HUNGER AND OTHER STORIES.

IMG_4719a.jpg

These days it would be a signed 1st of Cormac McCarthy's THE ROAD...which is impossible, as the only copies he's signed are the 250 copies that he's signed and left to his (now very young) son. I'm hoping when he son comes of age and sells these copies to make himself a bundle, that I'll be in the position to pick one up.

I'd also love to have the 17-volume S/L HC series that Dennis McMillan published of Fredric Brown's mystery fiction.

Oh, and a signed 1st HC of King's NIGHT SHIFT, a very seminal book for me.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Hmmmmmm a UK 1st of Stephen King's 'Night Shift', a copy of 'Fluke' by James Herbert in a fine and unfaded dustjacket. They are the main two that i would love to get my hands on!

Comment

Nobody want's a Guttenberg Bible?!

My grail now would be signed limited version of The Stand (Coffin or Bible edition, I've heard it called both). My previous one was "The Eyes of the Dragon" which I obtained a few years ago. Oh, and I would still like a copy of (my great missed opportunity) the Philtrum Press, "Six Stories".

My near impossible would be a first printing of Alice in Wonderland.
                  "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                    Bachman's The Regulators - lettered.

sk
                    Siep, is that the one that used the great idea of using some of "Bachman's" old cancelled checks to get the signatures?
                    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

S/L Gunslinger and then The Drawing of the Three. If I could somehow get #464, that would be super bonus!

The Stand coffin edition.

Comment

I'm not shooting for the moon here but...I would love to have a complete set of DT firsts from Grant.
                        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                          Siep, is that the one that used the great idea of using some of "Bachman's" old cancelled checks to get the signatures?
                          Both the signed numbered and lettered editions of The Regulators used the cancelled checks for the numbering.

John

Comment

Originally posted by jhanic View Post
                            Both the signed numbered and lettered editions of The Regulators used the cancelled checks for the numbering.

John
                            Right.
                            Unfortunately, I've only got the numbered edition:

Very nice book, of course, but that lettered edition is the one I really want.

sk

Comment

After thinking about it, I'd like the Grant edition of Christine and a 1st/1st of Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. It's my favorite sci-fi novel (novella, actually). And the movie was awesome too!!! (Stalker)
                              Last edited by srboone; 09-26-2011, 11:53 AM.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Working...
                              X