Dust Jacket vs No Dust Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dust Jacket vs No Dust Jacket

What look do you like best on your shelf, DJ's, no DJ with ordinary spine, or no DJ with fancy spine, like raised ridges.

To be clear I'm asking about books made this way, No DJ means none at all like Bloodletting Press is doing.
    With Dust Jacket
    82.76%
    With out dust jacket, simple spine
    0.00%
    With out dust jacket fancy spine
    10.34%
    Just make the book already!
    6.90%
    Last edited by Tree705; 05-30-2011, 08:52 PM.
    Rich DeMars

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
    Albert Einstein

Dustjackets!!
    They form an essential part of the book.

sk

Comment

Though I definitely appreciate a nice cover and binding underneath the dust jacket, I love the look of everything on my shelf with its dust jackets.

Also, if I took the DJ's off, I wouldn't really know where to store them to keep them safe...

Comment

I love books with "fancy" spines. It lends a certain sophistication to my horror library. LOL
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Dustjackets, definitely.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I actually prefer no dust jacket, but with a full illustration printed on the boards. But given the options above, definitely dust jacket.
            www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Dust jackets certainly protect my investments. Very practical, I know. However, a beautifully designed dust jacket will also attract me to a book that I may have otherwise overlooked. I do remove the dust jacket while reading a book, and what a wonderful surprise it is to sometimes see a fancy spine/covers underneath. This is a rare but wonderful treat.
              "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Comment

I love the artwork on a dust-jacket, often checking them out for some time after I purchase a book and marveling at their craft. However, when I was a young boy, my parents had shelves of reader's Digest anthologies without dust-jackets, sitting there for me to read. For some reason I can't help but display my own books that way (except for any that might be worth something). I don't plan on selling any of my books though, as I am quite happy with the way they are. Any duplicates I receive, I usually give away to friends. I did sell an entire lot of King dust-jackets on Ebay for quite a bit of cash and used it to buy one of his newer novels. I guess it's a weird thing.
                Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

I prefer a dust jacket, but I remove them while reading so they don't get torn I'm a freak about my books-I don't even crease the spines on paperbacks!
                  http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

I was actually just discussing this in another thread. All the books I have now all have their respective dust jackets but I recently scored Cycle of the Werewolf hardcover minus the dust jacket. While I would have preferred the DJ for this, I couldn't pass up this deal because the book itself is in great condition. Other than this most certainly DJ's but can live without it if need be

Comment

I bought the deluxe slipcased version of MHB's The Howling and it is a very nice volume. The dust cover art is inside. If I had it to do over again, I would probably buy the version with the dust jacket, but I am in no way unhappy with my purchase!

I like the way the DJs look on my shelves, though I not opposed to a book w/o a DJ. I gravitate towards them, tho.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I suppose I got away from Dustjackets when I started picking up copies at back street bookstores. Most of the books you get there have torn or no dustjacket at all. And once I had one without, I chose to remove them all. I do think if I could ever afford a nice copy of a book though I would keep it.
                        Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

I love the dust jackets, and looking UNDER them to see what has been engraved/embossed and the leather/fabric/binding. BUT I've seen some really nice books without a DJ or the jacket glued right to the book, i forget what you call that process.

Good to see you on here Rich. You've been a source of King info for YEARS. I'm a fellow SKEMER, Richard in Chicago.
                          FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Definitely with Dustjackets, though I won't avoid buying one that is without a dustjacket, as long as it was made that way, like the CD edition of The Exorcist and Legion combined
                            WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                            Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
                              I prefer a dust jacket, but I remove them while reading so they don't get torn I'm a freak about my books-I don't even crease the spines on paperbacks!
                              I think dust jackets look nice, but they get in the way when your trying to read. Plus, if I take them off, they get lost.
                              www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com Every Monday I review and critique a different novel.

Comment

Working...
                              X