Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help me find more info. about author Lawrence Cortesi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone help me find more info. about author Lawrence Cortesi?

I've read many of author Lawrence Cortesi's books-Such as Pacific Hellfire and The Battle For Manila. Lawrence Cortesi wrote a lot of books about WWII in the Pacific and the battles or campaigns of Army general Douglas MacArthur. One interesting aspect of the author's books is that they read like a novel. He recreates conversations between various officers/personnel.
    I've tried numerous times, without success to learn more about author Lawrence Cortesi. All I get when I search is a list of the books he has written. I can not find any biographical info, much less a website. I posted at a message board forum specifically devoted to history and did not get one reply to my post at that message board forum. So, I'm asking for help here. Thanks for listening!

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Interesting. I just pulled him up on Goodreads. Has a few books, but very few ratings. Seems to be an author that time forgot. I have a friend who is very much into military history and history in general. I will prod him about this author this weekend. Maybe he knows something, though I wouldn't bank on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
      Interesting. I just pulled him up on Goodreads. Has a few books, but very few ratings. Seems to be an author that time forgot. I have a friend who is very much into military history and history in general. I will prod him about this author this weekend. Maybe he knows something, though I wouldn't bank on it.
      Thanks for your help Theli.

Cap

Comment

Did some digging. Asked my buddy who is avid reader of history, nothing. Asked another friend of mine that has a broad preference of books, including history, nothing. Did a search online, found an obituary of someone with the same name, but no mention of him being an author. Best I could find was his list of books on Goodreads, with very little info.

Sorry Cap. No go here. Looks like we got a real mystery on our hands. Do you have any of his books?

Comment

Did some digging. Asked my buddy who is avid reader of history, nothing. Asked another friend of mine that has a broad preference of books, including history, nothing. Did a search online, found an obituary of someone with the same name, but no mention of him being an author. Best I could find was his list of books on Goodreads, with very little info.

Sorry Cap. No go here. Looks like we got a real mystery on our hands. Do you have any of his books?
          That obit was all I found too. I wonder if it was a pen name? Still, you'd expect to find something out there.

Comment

I used to have at least six of his books when I was much younger. Currently I only have Escape From Mindanao. Too bad no author bio or info. was put in his books. Thanks for trying Theli and Dave.

Cap
            Last edited by c marvel; 05-02-2020, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Found him! His real name was Lawrence Cerri, and he lived in Watervliet, NY.

This page shows an OCR version of a newspaper article about him from 1968. https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/58877648/

I also found this snippet on another site: Lawrence J Cerri was born on August 6, 1923. He died on October 12, 1987 at 64 years old. We know that Lawrence J Cerri had been residing in Watervliet, Albany County, New York.

Here's the article from the link above (spelling errors due to OCR software):

THI TROY RECORD, .TROY,. N. Y., WIDNISDAY MORNING, DECIMiER II, 1HI Watervliet News ·RANCH OFFICE, 1721 IROADWAY 273-1000 Cerri Writes Of Marines In Vietnam . A Watervliet school teacher is the author of a book, recently published hy Tower Press of New York City, concerning the story of the Second Battalion, 4th Marines in Vietnam. The book is entitled "Tho Magnificent Bastards of Vietnam" and the author is'Law- rence Cerri of 79 Boght Rd., who writes under the name of Lawrence Cortesi. This book is the third volume he has written for Tower Press, the previous books being "Mission Incredible," written three years ago, and ."Battle of the Bismarck Sea" which appeared approximately a year ago. Both books are still on sale. In his newest work, Mr. Cerr traces the 4th Marine' Secon Battalion in service in Vietnam Mr. Cerri, 44, who heads th Beading Program at Waterfor High School, is a veteran active service himself, havin served as a gunner in the Sout Pacific Theater of Action dur ing World -War II. Much of the material in hi newest book, both factual an technical, was given the autho by' John Gratton of 702 2nd St Watervliet, and James Trem bley of 32 Chestnut St., Cohoes members of the Marine group 01 which the book is based. Cerri is a native of Troy am a 'graduate of Watervliet Hig: School and Siena College., II previously taught at. Watervlie High School in the English de partment and later .in the Eng liiih Department of Waterfon High School. He is married t the former Frances Barrlnger R.N., · of Glens Falls. The; have four children, ; He is working on a fourtl novel, this time in the scienci fiction field, entitled "To Fine a Bee." The, setting for the new book is projected into the future, the year 2150 specttt cally. "In this story," Cerri relates, "bees have disappeared froir the world for two centuries anc the entire earth is due for extinction unless it can become re-pollinated." The plot entails ways and means to find enough bees to revitalize the planet.

Comment

Wow, good job! I actually did more digging yesterday and couldn't find a damn thing. How did you dig this up? That sci-fi story sounds interesting, I wonder if it ever came to fruition.

Comment

Wow, good job! I actually did more digging yesterday and couldn't find a damn thing. How did you dig this up? That sci-fi story sounds interesting, I wonder if it ever came to fruition.
                  The search that led me to the newspaper link was (in Google) "Lawrence Cortesi" author

I did have to go to page 5 of the search results to find the link.

I also found Cap's post from a couple of years ago on another site

cortesi.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                    Found him! His real name was Lawrence Cerri, and he lived in Watervliet, NY.

This page shows an OCR version of a newspaper article about him from 1968. https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/58877648/

I also found this snippet on another site: Lawrence J Cerri was born on August 6, 1923. He died on October 12, 1987 at 64 years old. We know that Lawrence J Cerri had been residing in Watervliet, Albany County, New York.

Here's the article from the link above (spelling errors due to OCR software):

THI TROY RECORD, .TROY,. N. Y., WIDNISDAY MORNING, DECIMiER II, 1HI Watervliet News ·RANCH OFFICE, 1721 IROADWAY 273-1000 Cerri Writes Of Marines In Vietnam . A Watervliet school teacher is the author of a book, recently published hy Tower Press of New York City, concerning the story of the Second Battalion, 4th Marines in Vietnam. The book is entitled "Tho Magnificent Bastards of Vietnam" and the author is'Law- rence Cerri of 79 Boght Rd., who writes under the name of Lawrence Cortesi. This book is the third volume he has written for Tower Press, the previous books being "Mission Incredible," written three years ago, and ."Battle of the Bismarck Sea" which appeared approximately a year ago. Both books are still on sale. In his newest work, Mr. Cerr traces the 4th Marine' Secon Battalion in service in Vietnam Mr. Cerri, 44, who heads th Beading Program at Waterfor High School, is a veteran active service himself, havin served as a gunner in the Sout Pacific Theater of Action dur ing World -War II. Much of the material in hi newest book, both factual an technical, was given the autho by' John Gratton of 702 2nd St Watervliet, and James Trem bley of 32 Chestnut St., Cohoes members of the Marine group 01 which the book is based. Cerri is a native of Troy am a 'graduate of Watervliet Hig: School and Siena College., II previously taught at. Watervlie High School in the English de partment and later .in the Eng liiih Department of Waterfon High School. He is married t the former Frances Barrlnger R.N., · of Glens Falls. The; have four children, ; He is working on a fourtl novel, this time in the scienci fiction field, entitled "To Fine a Bee." The, setting for the new book is projected into the future, the year 2150 specttt cally. "In this story," Cerri relates, "bees have disappeared froir the world for two centuries anc the entire earth is due for extinction unless it can become re-pollinated." The plot entails ways and means to find enough bees to revitalize the planet.

Amazing! Thanks Dave! Cap

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                      Amazing! Thanks Dave! Cap
                      You're welcome!

Comment

I just finished reading Escape From Mindanao by Lawrence Cortesi. I did enjoy the book and as usual the author employed his trademark style that makes a nonfiction book read like a novel. I noticed there were more than a few typos in Escape From Mindanao. I saw another book by Lawrence Cortesi that I hadn't heard of before-Trouble in the Big Task. So far, I have been unable to find out what this book is about. I messaged an Amazon seller asking for info. The seller did not reply to my message.

Cap

Comment

He was local as I live about 20 minutes from Watervliet . Now I want to check out his work. Watervliet is home to an arsenal that has been around for a long time and there is a lot of military history associated with it. Wonder if that helped inspire and fuel his writing.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                            He was local as I live about 20 minutes from Watervliet . Now I want to check out his work. Watervliet is home to an arsenal that has been around for a long time and there is a lot of military history associated with it. Wonder if that helped inspire and fuel his writing.
                            I read Watervliet is the oldest continuously active arsenal in the United States. Today, I learned Trouble in the Big Task is a western. I was looking at Operation Cannibal by Lawrence Cortesi. That is about the CBI theater and I know my abc's about that theater of operations. I read one book (at least) and listened to one audiobook about the CBI.

Cap

Comment

FINALLY....I get to post. And here is my list of Lawrence Cortesi book. I have them all, and my investigation, preliminary of course, seems to indicate this is every one concerned with World War II. These are in paperback, and yes, really good books to read. A couple have alternate titles, and 3 seem rare, and I don't have them, marked with **.

LAWRENCE CORTESI - war books

THE BATTLE FOR MANILA
                              BLOODY FRIDAY OFF GUADALCANAL
                              D-DAY MINUS ONE
                              THE DEADLY SKIES
                              ESCAPE FROM MINDANAO
                              FORTY FATHOMS DOWN
                              GATEWAY TO VICTORY
                              MISSION INCREDIBLE (BATTLE OF THE BISMARCK SEA)
                              OPERATION BISMARCK SEA
                              OPERATION BODENPLATE(-HITLER’S FINAL SIEGE)
                              OPERATION CARTWHEEL (OPERATION FRIDAY 13TH)
                              OPERATION ROME
                              PACIFIC BREAKTHROUGH
                              PACIFIC HELLFIRE
                              PACIFIC SIEGE
                              PACIFIC STRIKE
                              ROMMEL’S LAST STAND
                              TARGET: DAIMLER BENZ
                              TARGET: TOKYO
                              VALOR IN THE BULGE
                              VALOR AT LEYTE
                              VALOR AT OKINAWA
                              VALOR AT SAMAR
                              VALOR IN THE SKY
                              U-505 VICTORY

**-GRIM REAPERS: HISTORY OF THE THIRD BOMB GROUP , 1918-1965
                              **-MAGNIFICENT BASTARDS OF CHU LAI
                              **-MAGNIFICENT BASTARDS OF VIETNAM

-LAST BRIDGE TO VICTORY (novel)
                              -OPERATION CANNIBAL (fiction, mystery)
                              -ROGUE SERGEANT (fiction)

Comment

Working...
                              X