Open Markets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
    It's tricky. I've written 25 word stories, 50 word stories, they're tough. You know about the famous Hemingway six word story, right?:

For sale: baby shoes, never worn.
    Here are some other flash fiction stories:
    Failed SAT. Lost scholarship. Invented rocket.
    - William Shatner

Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so.
    - Joss Whedon

Automobile warranty expires. So does engine.
    - Stan Lee

Machine. Unexpectedly, I’d invented a time
    - Alan Moore

Longed for him. Got him. Shit.
    - Margaret Atwood
    Also, and I don't know how true this is, but there is a lot of scepticism regarding Hemmingway's story. I found this:
    Two curious elements of the "baby shoes" tale are that no one seems to have been able to locate an original source or publication that establishes Hemingway's authorship of the story, and that the tale itself (i.e., the claim that Hemingway wrote such a story) apparently doesn't go back much further than the 1990s. An explanation we believe accounts for both these elements is that the six-word-story originated not with Hemingway himself, but with Papa, a one-man play about Hemingway which was written by John deGroot and debuted in 1996. As the New York Daily News noted in a May 1996 review of Papa.
    Still, if he didn't write it, whoever did created a wonderful story that has had us all champing at the bit to write flash fiction.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the shout out! We're pretty excited about the premise. Politics and genre fiction what could better? I did want to go ahead and post our general information if that would be more helpful to folks -

We are pleased to announce a new anthology Trust & Treachery: Tales of Power, Intrigue, and Violence.

Power struggles, politics, posturing: whether it’s parliament, the royal family, a coven, or your homeowner’s association, power breeds distrust, intrigue, and violence.

We want your awesomest stories!

We are looking for stories that are 1000-5000 words in length. We will pay $20 per story, to be paid on January 1, 2012 or on acceptance, whichever comes later.

Submissions will be open from June 15, 2011 to December 15th, 2011 and will be through our online submission manager. We will announce some acceptances as we go, but will hold a majority of slots open until the end. We also hope to respond to submissions within 6-8 weeks, but will hang on to some stories longer if they are being considered.

We are very open as to genre: Mystery, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror, etc. Please no romance, YA or erotica (though relevant sexual content is fine).

Check out our Trust & Treachery site at http://treachery.mlcrawford.com for more details. We look forward to reading your stories!

And of course feel free to send us a note if you have any questions at: [email protected]

Best,
      Day Al-Mohamed, Co-Editor
      Trust & Treachery Anthology

Comment

Hey, thanks for the shout out! We're pretty excited about the premise. Politics and genre fiction, what could be better? I thought, if it would be helpful, to post a bit more information here directly, if that's okay.

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

We are pleased to announce a new anthology Trust & Treachery: Tales of Power, Intrigue, and Violence.Power struggles, politics, posturing: whether it’s parliament, the royal family, a coven, or your homeowner’s association, power breeds distrust, intrigue, and violence.

We want your awesomest stories!

We are looking for stories that are 1000-5000 words in length. We will pay $20 per story, to be paid on January 1, 2012 or on acceptance, whichever comes later.

Submissions will be open from June 15, 2011 to December 15th, 2011 and will be through our online submission manager. We will announce some acceptances as we go, but will hold a majority of slots open until the end. We also hope to respond to submissions within 6-8 weeks, but will hang on to some stories longer if they are being considered.

We are very open as to genre: Mystery, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror, etc. Please no romance, YA or erotica (though relevant sexual content is fine).

Check out our Trust & Treachery site at http://treachery.mlcrawford.com for more details. Although, if there is anything wonky about the site, let me know so we can address it ASAP.

And of course feel free to send us a note directly if you have any other questions at: [email protected]

Looking forward to reading your submissions!

Best,
        Day Al-Mohamed, Co-Editor
        Trust & Treachery

Comment

Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
          You know about the famous Hemingway six word story, right?:

For sale: baby shoes, never worn.
          June 22nd,

Lost contest. Started riot in Vancouver.

Comment

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

LOL. Good one KT
              Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Hey everyone,

I was following up on my, God knows how many years, wait for the Borderlands 6 anthology publishing date. I found out that they've recently opened up to submissions again. Here's a link to their guidelines:
                http://www.borderlandspress.com/submissions.html

Please submit something, but make sure you read the guidelines first.

MLD

Comment

Thanks for the link MLD.

Comment

awesome, thanks MLD - i'm going to send over "Rudy" for sure, if i don't make the final three here
                    FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Yep, 13 may make an appearence too on Borderland's slushpile. Thanks, MLD.

Comment

Here's a new call for submissions one of the my Horror Library forum pals put up:

C O R R U P T S A B S O L U T E L Y ?

MLD

Comment

Interesting

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread and posting all of these calls for stories. I never know where to find this stuff. I've got a story that seems (at least to me) perfect for the 'Corrupts Absolutely?' anthology. I appreciate the heads up.

Comment

Great idea for this thread! Thanks!
                              http://www.valmuller.com

Comment

I just went to a site that was on duotrope called The Horror Zine and it shows a man who is a con artist and plagerist and I wondered if any one here on the forum know of any other rip-off publishing sites like this one. This guy steals stories and story ideas and submits them and makes money off other people's writing. NOW I'M ALL PARANOID TO SEND MY BABIES OUT TO BE PUBLISHED. I feel that we work too hard on our craft to have someone usurp our products for their own personal gain! Anyone?

Comment

Working...
                                X