BIRD BOX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    You earned the right to this "I-Told-You-So." I guess I can chalk up the extra $25 I paid to the purchase of a Valuable Buying Lesson.

I was sure this Bird was going to fly.
    I'm also surprised that the book hasn't sold better, but I wonder if that's solely indicative of the pricing? Like Dan said previously, DRP is a smaller small press and maybe the word of mouth hasn't spread like it would with a CD or a Sub Press. They also have roughly 160 copies left of Off Season left as well and that's been available for preorder since October 2016. I would expect that to have sold quite a bit better as well considering the standing of Jack Ketchum and the book's place in horror literature. So obviously, what do I know?

All that being, this still has not diminished my desire to get my hands on one. If anybody is keeping track: there are only 3 lettered editions left and I still haven't received my gift certificate yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      I'm also surprised that the book hasn't sold better, but I wonder if that's solely indicative of the pricing?
      As my above posts argue, I do think price is the issue...I don't really know what else to chalk up poor sales of this acclaimed book to, other than perhaps others like me who have grown very tired of Glenn Chadbourne's art (which particularly in this case seems miscast (much like the recent PS edition of Bradbury's SOMETHING THIS WAY COMES))...but I really think it is significantly more the former than the latter. It's why I didn't pre-order it...I can ignore the Chadbourne art (and dwell on that wonderful dj art), but I can't turn a blind eye to paying 33% more than I think I should.

Like Dan said previously, DRP is a smaller small press and maybe the word of mouth hasn't spread like it would with a CD or a Sub Press.
      Except that both (or maybe it's just CD) have promoted the book in their email newsletters, touting the book as for sale through them and to, ahem, hurry before supply runs out. So CD's (and Sub's?) customers have been made aware of it and word has been spread...in fact, the title is even up on the Other Publishers pre-order page at CD:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/other-p...preorders.html

They also have roughly 160 copies left of Off Season left as well and that's been available for preorder since October 2016. I would expect that to have sold quite a bit better as well considering the standing of Jack Ketchum and the book's place in horror literature. So obviously, what do I know?
      That one doesn't surprise me, either, though not because of price...it already had a S/L HC edition published earlier by Overlook Connection Press just, what, a decade or less earlier? Multiple S/L HC variants and all these Anniversary Editions may work for Stephen King (and perhaps Joe Hill, and even that is questionable, given the remaining stock of 20th CENTURY GHOSTS at PS Pub.), but for everyone else there is a finite demand, as evidenced by this DR Ketchum release and several of the Anniversary Editions from other publishers that from all appearances seem to be sales-challenged. I love Ketchum, but had no interest in a S/L HC of a title of which I already had a S/L HC. Completists are few and far between...again, only King has enough of those to justify multiple collectible editions of the same title...and even that balloon's probably going to burst someday as each new release from him seems to come out with an exponential number of variants (e.g. GWENDY'S BUTTON) and collectors tire of the chase.

Okay, that concludes my cynical rant of the day.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        As my above posts argue, I do think price is the issue...I don't really know what else to chalk up poor sales of this acclaimed book to, other than perhaps others like me who have grown very tired of Glenn Chadbourne's art (which particularly in this case seems miscast (much like the recent PS edition of Bradbury's SOMETHING THIS WAY COMES))...but I really think it is significantly more the former than the latter. It's why I didn't pre-order it...I can ignore the Chadbourne art (and dwell on that wonderful dj art), but I can't turn a blind eye to paying 33% more than I think I should.

Except that both (or maybe it's just CD) have promoted the book in their email newsletters, touting the book as for sale through them and to, ahem, hurry before supply runs out. So CD's (and Sub's?) customers have been made aware of it and word has been spread...in fact, the title is even up on the Other Publishers pre-order page at CD:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/other-p...preorders.html

That one doesn't surprise me, either, though not because of price...it already had a S/L HC edition published earlier by Overlook Connection Press just, what, a decade or less earlier? Multiple S/L HC variants and all these Anniversary Editions may work for Stephen King (and perhaps Joe Hill, and even that is questionable, given the remaining stock of 20th CENTURY GHOSTS at PS Pub.), but for everyone else there is a finite demand, as evidenced by this DR Ketchum release and several of the Anniversary Editions from other publishers that from all appearances seem to be sales-challenged. I love Ketchum, but had no interest in a S/L HC of a title of which I already had a S/L HC. Completists are few and far between...again, only King has enough of those to justify multiple collectible editions of the same title...and even that balloon's probably going to burst someday as each new release from him seems to come out with an exponential number of variants (e.g. GWENDY'S BUTTON) and collectors tire of the chase.

For what it's worth their website probably doesn't reflect both our sales and Sub Press's sales.

Also about Gwendy, there really aren't any more variants for that than there are for basically any other King book. There a mass market THC and TPB, we have a Signed Limited and a Signed Lettered, SST is doing a Gift Editions, then there just the standard international releases of trade editions. It just seems like there are a lot of different releases because we're doing the Limited and Lettered and someone else is doing the Gift Edition, instead of one publisher doing all three versions.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Dan, is there a UK edition other than the SST copy?

Comment

You make a lot of points that I agree with. For me, the big plus to both special editions of Bird Box and Off Season from DRP is the new content. I assumed fans of Malerman would want to get the new story in this edition. And DRP has included novellas/short stories from Ketchum as well. In my opinion, that validates a new edition. And the Art for Off Season looks spectacular.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
              Dan, is there a UK edition other than the SST copy?
              Yep. Looks like it was published on the 27th of June.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gwendys-But...27s+button+box

I know I've seen the covers for several European editions as well. Specifically the Greek and Polish editions.
              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

You make a lot of points that I agree with. For me, the big plus to both special editions of Bird Box and Off Season from DRP is the new content. I assumed fans of Malerman would want to get the new story in this edition. And DRP has included novellas/short stories from Ketchum as well. In my opinion, that validates a new edition. And the Art for Off Season looks spectacular.
                Yes, extra content is always a good thing and appreciated by readers/collectors like you and me. Each buyer just needs to determine if those extras justify the expense of a whole new S/L volume or not. For me, because my budget and my shelf space are both finite, they rarely do...I'm typically satisfied with the S/L that came first. For those S/L volumes like BIRD BOX that are first on the collectible scene, so to speak, then they need to determine if the price is in line with other similar collectibles, and if not, then if the extras justify the extra expense. For me and in this particular case, the answer was no...but if I see it on eBay for $50 down the road, chances are good I'll snatch it up.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

If anybody is keeping track: there are only 3 lettered editions left and I still haven't received my gift certificate yet...
                  Hope you were able to pick this up. My GC just arrived today and I saw there was only one left.
                  “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                  -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Yes, extra content is always a good thing and appreciated by readers/collectors like you and me. Each buyer just needs to determine if those extras justify the expense of a whole new S/L volume or not. For me, because my budget and my shelf space are both finite, they rarely do...I'm typically satisfied with the S/L that came first. For those S/L volumes like BIRD BOX that are first on the collectible scene, so to speak, then they need to determine if the price is in line with other similar collectibles, and if not, then if the extras justify the extra expense. For me and in this particular case, the answer was no...but if I see it on eBay for $50 down the road, chances are good I'll snatch it up.
                    Absolutely agree with you on these points. I don't know if I would get excited about a new edition of a S/L I already owned, especially if I was happy with the original. I personally don't feel the need to own multiple editions of the same book or accumulate variants and whatnot. Nothing against those that do, but like you said budget and space are finite (even if I don't want that to be the case!).

When it comes to pricing, perception about what is reasonable comes into play. Most people would balk at a $50 price tag for a book. I've had people be flabbergasted at the price of some of my books, like the $250 price tag for Summer of Night. Don't even ask me what my wife first said when I told her about the five hundred dollars I spent on the Ultra Deluxe Midnight Meat Train and that was a smoking price for that book. I think that I get used to seeing some crazy prices (Stephen King lettered editions, anyone?) and that can skew things a bit. I'm used to dropping $80 for a Thunderstorm book so the price tag for Bird Box didn't phase me in and of itself.

Great conversation, guys. I love hearing the different points of views and discussing the varying aspects of our hobby in a constructive manner!

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                      Hope you were able to pick this up. My GC just arrived today and I saw there was only one left.
                      My diabolical plan came to fruition! (cue maniacal laughter)

Okay, so it wasn't that dramatic, but I was doubting things would break my way.

I had the money saved up to be able to get both the lettered editions of Off Season and Bird Box, but then stumbled upon the Kickstarter perk of the Midnight Meat Train for $500 plus matching gift certificate. While that edition of the book had never really been on my radar due to the price tag, I saw this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and jumped on it, hoping that the lettered editions of the other two books would hold out long enough for the gift certificates to be dispersed. Luckily, the gift certificate came in the nick of time and I was able to snatch up both lettered editions.

In short, I was able to pick up the Ultra Deluxe Midnight Meat Train, and lettered editions of both Off Season and Bird Box for $550 plus shipping! Probably one of the best deals I've been able to swing ever!

Comment

In short, I was able to pick up the Ultra Deluxe Midnight Meat Train, and lettered editions of both Off Season and Bird Box for $550 plus shipping! Probably one of the best deals I've been able to swing ever!
                        YOU GOT SKILLS! That's amazing. I think you're our leader now.

Comment

I had the money saved up to be able to get both the lettered editions of Off Season and Bird Box, but then stumbled upon the Kickstarter perk of the Midnight Meat Train for $500 plus matching gift certificate. While that edition of the book had never really been on my radar due to the price tag, I saw this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and jumped on it, hoping that the lettered editions of the other two books would hold out long enough for the gift certificates to be dispersed. Luckily, the gift certificate came in the nick of time and I was able to snatch up both lettered editions.

Good job brother! I can't wait to see your spoils!

Comment

Great pickups, congratulations!

Comment

I'm sick. I saw that a lettered edition was suddenly available again after being sold out and I bought it. I just . . . bought it. Free will is an illusion.

Comment

Thanks, guys! It was really just a bunch of luck and "right place at the right time". I'm happy that I took the gamble, though!

I'm sick. I saw that a lettered edition was suddenly available again after being sold out and I bought it. I just . . . bought it. Free will is an illusion.
                                It's okay. If anybody understands, it's us. Congratulations on snagging that lettered edition. I think you'll be happy in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                                X