No announcement yet.

2017 Reading list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2017 reading goals are very similiar to last years.
    * Introduce myself to new authors.
    * Dig deeper into the books of authors I have enjoyed in the past.

My available time to read took a hit in 2016 as well. I hope to ramp back up on reading time in 2017.

Starting 2017 off reading Mr. Chizmar's A Long December and loving it so far!

Comment

I came nowhere near my goal for 2016 (Goodreads). Had lots of distractions, like renovations to the house, and other things that really cut into reading time.

For me, for 2017, I would like to try some new authors, although I think I will likely stick to my usual genres - horror, hard sci-fi, historical/archaeological adventure types (Preston/Child, Rollins as 2 examples), with the odd science and maybe sports bio (a lot of hockey books out recently). As Martin said as well - keep at my favourites as well.

One think I really want to do, and I will rely on my friends here to help - is to find a novel, short story, whatever that will seriously scare the heck out of me, or at least creep me out big time! I find this so subjective to the reader. I want to feel the terror, like I felt the emotion in the once scene in Boy's Life (those who have read it, will know what I am talking about - spoiler averted).

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
        I came nowhere near my goal for 2016 (Goodreads). Had lots of distractions, like renovations to the house, and other things that really cut into reading time.

For me, for 2017, I would like to try some new authors, although I think I will likely stick to my usual genres - horror, hard sci-fi, historical/archaeological adventure types (Preston/Child, Rollins as 2 examples), with the odd science and maybe sports bio (a lot of hockey books out recently). As Martin said as well - keep at my favourites as well.

One think I really want to do, and I will rely on my friends here to help - is to find a novel, short story, whatever that will seriously scare the heck out of me, or at least creep me out big time! I find this so subjective to the reader. I want to feel the terror, like I felt the emotion in the once scene in Boy's Life (those who have read it, will know what I am talking about - spoiler averted).
        You may have already read this one but Stephen King's 'The Library Policeman' really got to me. I actually had to stop reading that one at night because I could not go to sleep. I had a friend several years ask the same question you did and I recommended that one and he came back and told me he could not read it at night because he couldn't sleep id he did. If you have not read it, give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          You may have already read this one but Stephen King's 'The Library Policeman' really got to me. I actually had to stop reading that one at night because I could not go to sleep. I had a friend several years ask the same question you did and I recommended that one and he came back and told me he could not read it at night because he couldn't sleep id he did. If you have not read it, give it a try.
          I know I have the book that that story is in (Four Past Midnight)....I will have to get that one out. Thanks!

Comment

I know I have the book that that story is in (Four Past Midnight)....I will have to get that one out. Thanks!
            It affected me enough that I had to put the book on the shelf a while after I read it. I finished the last story about a year later.

Comment

I sometimes think I might try taking a more disciplined approach to reading and then I think, screw that, where's the fun in that LOL!! I can appreciate the sense of accomplishment that people get from reaching these types of goals and I might try it one day, but for right now I read as my Wimsey takes me!! And it usually takes me pretty far afield, especially with great suggestions from all of you here on the forum.

Comment

I mostly end up like that too - just read whatever. Sometimes I will spend over half an hour or more scanning through my bookshelves to decide what to read next.

Comment

^I agree with both of you guys. It's not specifically a strict goal that I am trying to meet, per se, but rather just some things that I've been meaning to do. Whether I actually get to them or not matters very little in the long term, haha.

Comment

It amazes me when I see people reading 50, 100 books in a year (and I mean larger size novels too). I can't fathom fitting that much reading into my life - maybe I'm a slow reader (and I know I am), but with all the other stuff going on.....damn! Kudos to those who do.

Comment

It amazes me when I see people reading 50, 100 books in a year (and I mean larger size novels too). I can't fathom fitting that much reading into my life - maybe I'm a slow reader (and I know I am), but with all the other stuff going on.....damn! Kudos to those who do.
                      I would probably listen to 50 audio books a year if I had 50 books I was interested in listening to. Unfortunately my tastes in books is very narrow / focused and very few things really fit into what I like, and audio books are far to expensive to experiment with.
                      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                        I would probably listen to 50 audio books a year if I had 50 books I was interested in listening to. Unfortunately my tastes in books is very narrow / focused and very few things really fit into what I like, and audio books are far to expensive to experiment with.
                        I love audio books and if I had any real commute I would listen to more. Cost is one factor because they can add up but I typically stick to short stories and collections on audio.

Comment

Audio books for me, are like what Martin said. I only drive 10 mins to work and back, and then just doing errands here and there, so never ventured into them.

Comment

I bus to and from work (parking is extortionate and driving is aggravating in downtown Winnipeg) so I get most of my reading done on my commute. When at home I either listen to music, have a movie playing in the background or take turns reading aloud with my girlfriend while doing chores, so no time for audiobooks for me.

Comment

I have about a half hour commute (amazing that 12 miles takes half an hour) but mostly I generally just have 1 earbud in all day at the office listening to podcasts / audio books all day. Generally I can do an audiobook a week, more if I'm super into it and not really doing much at home. I think I was averaging a Harry Potter book every 3 days when I was going over those again last summer.
                              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                                I have about a half hour commute (amazing that 12 miles takes half an hour) but mostly I generally just have 1 earbud in all day at the office listening to podcasts / audio books all day. Generally I can do an audiobook a week, more if I'm super into it and not really doing much at home. I think I was averaging a Harry Potter book every 3 days when I was going over those again last summer.
                                I have a 17 mile drive. I go in before there is traffic so it is about a 1/2 hour. The drive home takes 45 minutes to an hour. That is the only time that listening to stories works for me. I spend about half my day at a computer so I have headphones on, I listen to satellite radio there though. I have tried listening at work and find I miss chunks of the story as I am unable to focus on the story. I have the same issue listening at home and if someone else is in the car with me, the distractions just make me lose the story.

Comment

Working...
                                X