October: How many books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
    So October was a big month for me. Recuperating from an ankle fusion operation so listened to quite a few audiobooks, and even a few good old paper books.

Here we go:

1. We are Legion, We are Bob (Dennis E. Taylor) - 5/5
    2. Flight or Fright (Various) - 3/5
    3. The God Engines - novella (John Scalzi) - 4/5
    4. The Sagan Diaries - novella (John Scalzi) - 3/5
    5. All Systems Red - novella (Martha Wells) - 5/5
    6. Artificial Condition - novella (Martha Wells) - 5/5
    7. Rogue Protocol - novella (Martha Wells) - 5/5
    8. Exit Strategy - novella (Martha Wells) - 5/5
    9. The Twelve (Justin Cronin) - 4/5
    10. Never Ring a Witches Doorbell - novella (Richard Holeman) - 5/5
    11. World War Z (Max Brooks) - 5/5
    12. The Football Solution: How Richmond's Premiership can save Australia (George Megalogenis) - 5/5

I also read the short story Laurie by Stephen King but couldn't call that a book.

Highlights:
    - The Murderbot books (should really be considered a single novel rather than four novellas),
    - World War Z (such a great way to comment on the differing worldwide social and political landscapes - I can't believe it took me this long to read)
    - The Football Solution. (brilliant historical account and political commentary - not really of interest outside of where I live though).
    - The Bobiverse (Currently loving the second book)
    I will get to The God Engines soon. Mr. Scalzi briefly talked about that on his recent Portland stop. Hope your healing is going well!

Comment

Best of luck with the recovery, HB!

Comment

Feel better fast!

Comment

Speedy recovery!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            Nothing below a 4 for the month. That is a pretty good run, congratulations!
            Catwoman was close - It was a solid 3 until the end. I think once Darwyn Cooke wasn't writing it, and Ed Brubaker was able to fully get involved, it got a lot better. Which is strange (repeat of my GR review) because I loved what he did with New Frontier (I realize I would have enjoyed it even more if I knew the characters and stories from the golden and silver ages of DC.

Comment

So October was a big month for me. Recuperating from an ankle fusion operation so listened to quite a few audiobooks, and even a few good old paper books.

Here we go:

5. All Systems Red - novella (Martha Wells) - 5/5
              6. Artificial Condition - novella (Martha Wells) - 5/5
              7. Rogue Protocol - novella (Martha Wells) - 5/5
              8. Exit Strategy - novella (Martha Wells) - 5/5

Highlights:
              - The Murderbot books (should really be considered a single novel rather than four novellas),
              )
              I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed those books too. I hadn't ever read anything from Martha Wells before, but I might pick up something else just based on my enjoyment. (In all fairness, I may have given the third entry a 4-star rating - but that could have been because I was kind of burned out maybe, or possibly I'm just so tired when I'm reading I find it hard to enjoy anything, and unfairly hold that against the book.)

I'd also like to see someone (*cough*CD*or maybe*cough*SubPress*cough) do a nice signed edition of these.

Comment

Finished 5 in October and for the most part they were all pretty good reads.

Mister October Vol. 1 ed. by Christopher Golden was the first in a two book commemorative anthology in memory of Rick Hautala and one of the best anthologies I've read this year.* The stories varied from very dark to almost whimsical.* Favorites were 'Feeders & Eaters' by Neil Gaiman, 'Figures in Rain' by Chet Williamson, 'Blood Brothers' by Richard Chizmar & 'Tight Little Stiches in a Dead Man's Back' by Lansdale, though there were plenty of very good stories throughout.* There really isn't a bad story in this book.* 4/5*

Ghost Road Blues is the second book in the Pine Deep Trilogy by Jonathan Maberry.* I thought Maberry did a very good job in further developing the storyline and the characters from the first book.* It lacked the frenetic ending of the first book, but still looking forward to reading the final volume to see how Maberry ties things up.* 4/5

The Sea of Ash is a Lovecraftian novella by Scott Thomas.* It follows the stories of three different men from three different times who experience strange occurrences in New England.* It is a very weird story, but the weirdness fit the storyline, rather than just being weird to be weird as so many of the current crop of weird story authors seem to write today.* I've always enjoyed Thomas's work; wish he would write more.* 4/5

Mister October Vol. 2 is the second book in the Rick Hautala commemorative anthology, and unfortunately did not live up to the high standards of the first book.* There were several longish tales that I didn't really care and, in general, the overall quality of stories wasn't as high as in the first volume.* Still there were several very good stories in this collection, my favorites being 'Breathe my Name' by Christopher Golden, 'The Ghost of Lillian Bliss' by Rio Youers, & 'Ghost Trap' by Hautala himself.* 3/5*

Overnight was a return to form for Philip Fracassi.* After enjoying the first three stories I'd read by Fracassi, I was very disappointed in the last read, and mildly disappointed in the one prior to that.* Overnight had a very noirish feel to it that led up to a ghostly supernatural ending that I enjoyed quite a bit.* As with the best of Fracassi's stories, the ending is dark & unflinching.* 5/5

B

Comment

Mister October Vol. 1 ed. by Christopher Golden was the first in a two book commemorative anthology in memory of Rick Hautala and one of the best anthologies I've read this year.* The stories varied from very dark to almost whimsical.* Favorites were 'Feeders & Eaters' by Neil Gaiman, 'Figures in Rain' by Chet Williamson, 'Blood Brothers' by Richard Chizmar & 'Tight Little Stiches in a Dead Man's Back' by Lansdale, though there were plenty of very good stories throughout.* There really isn't a bad story in this book.* 4/5*

Ghost Road Blues is the second book in the Pine Deep Trilogy by Jonathan Maberry.* I thought Maberry did a very good job in further developing the storyline and the characters from the first book.* It lacked the frenetic ending of the first book, but still looking forward to reading the final volume to see how Maberry ties things up.* 4/5

The Sea of Ash is a Lovecraftian novella by Scott Thomas.* It follows the stories of three different men from three different times who experience strange occurrences in New England.* It is a very weird story, but the weirdness fit the storyline, rather than just being weird to be weird as so many of the current crop of weird story authors seem to write today.* I've always enjoyed Thomas's work; wish he would write more.* 4/5

Mister October Vol. 2 is the second book in the Rick Hautala commemorative anthology, and unfortunately did not live up to the high standards of the first book.* There were several longish tales that I didn't really care and, in general, the overall quality of stories wasn't as high as in the first volume.* Still there were several very good stories in this collection, my favorites being 'Breathe my Name' by Christopher Golden, 'The Ghost of Lillian Bliss' by Rio Youers, & 'Ghost Trap' by Hautala himself.* 3/5*

Overnight was a return to form for Philip Fracassi.* After enjoying the first three stories I'd read by Fracassi, I was very disappointed in the last read, and mildly disappointed in the one prior to that.* Overnight had a very noirish feel to it that led up to a ghostly supernatural ending that I enjoyed quite a bit.* As with the best of Fracassi's stories, the ending is dark & unflinching.* 5/5

B

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                    I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed those books too. I hadn't ever read anything from Martha Wells before, but I might pick up something else just based on my enjoyment. (In all fairness, I may have given the third entry a 4-star rating - but that could have been because I was kind of burned out maybe, or possibly I'm just so tired when I'm reading I find it hard to enjoy anything, and unfairly hold that against the book.)

I'd also like to see someone (*cough*CD*or maybe*cough*SubPress*cough) do a nice signed edition of these.
                    I have only read the first in the Murder Bot series and thought it was fine but it did not compel me to keep going. I may return at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

B
                      I have wanted to check out Mr. October for a long time.

Comment

I have wanted to check out Mr. October for a long time.
                        It's a super anthology. I am lucky to have the limited edition 2 volume set and an ebook copy. I highly recommend this one.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                          It's a super anthology. I am lucky to have the limited edition 2 volume set and an ebook copy. I highly recommend this one.
                          Passing on the limited is one of my collecting regrets.

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes folks. I see the surgeon this Thursday and I am hoping that I will be able to weight-bear on it after that. Will still be in a moon boot for another six weeks or so.

Comment

I will get to The God Engines soon. Mr. Scalzi briefly talked about that on his recent Portland stop. Hope your healing is going well!
                              It was a bit of a departure from his normal stuff, and a pretty quick read. I might have been a bit harsh with the 4, but it just wasn't quite there for me. Absolutely worth reading though.

Comment

It was a bit of a departure from his normal stuff, and a pretty quick read. I might have been a bit harsh with the 4, but it just wasn't quite there for me. Absolutely worth reading though.
                                At his appearance he talked about how much darker it was than his normal fare. I will probably get to it sooner rather than later.

Comment

Working...
                                X