Movie Trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Looks pretty true to the story but really hard to tell with such a small sample. The DRP limited shipped a while back, I assume you are waiting on the lettered.
    Yep, it's the lettered edition I'm waiting on. It should be shipping soon, I believe.

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I just read the DRP edition and for the most part, the trailer looks like the movie will follow the book. But there are a few big noticeable differences. I'm sure they were made to fit the different mode of storytelling. Hopefully, they don't make any more significant changes.
    Good to know. I'm always torn about if I should read the book or watch the movie first. On one hand, the book is almost always better, so when I've read the book and watch the movie afterward I'm rather disappointed in the movie and feel myself disengages from the film because it's either so different I have a hard time reconciling the two or it's too familiar and I'm just waiting for plot beats. On the other hand, if I watch the movie first I'm always afraid it will spoil the full enjoyment of the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      Good to know. I'm always torn about if I should read the book or watch the movie first. On one hand, the book is almost always better, so when I've read the book and watch the movie afterward I'm rather disappointed in the movie and feel myself disengages from the film because it's either so different I have a hard time reconciling the two or it's too familiar and I'm just waiting for plot beats. On the other hand, if I watch the movie first I'm always afraid it will spoil the full enjoyment of the book.
      My rule is this: always try to read the book first. Otherwise, you'll just see Jack Nicholson every time you read Jack Torrance. You'll see Sandra Bullock every time you read about Malorie. It forces you to picture a casting decision. I'd rather experience the book on its own terms. That's why I've never read FIGHT CLUB. I LOVE Palahniuk, but since I saw that movie, I won't be able to not "see" Norton and Pitt if I read the book. The other way around, reading the book first, I can judge the translation and just focus on that instead of trying to sync up two different stories. If that makes sense.

Comment

Good rule. On the flip side I did read a book series once (several times) and pictured and read the books lead as Clint Eastwood. I never could shake it.

My rule is this: always try to read the book first. Otherwise, you'll just see Jack Nicholson every time you read Jack Torrance. You'll see Sandra Bullock every time you read about Malorie. It forces you to picture a casting decision. I'd rather experience the book on its own terms. That's why I've never read FIGHT CLUB. I LOVE Palahniuk, but since I saw that movie, I won't be able to not "see" Norton and Pitt if I read the book. The other way around, reading the book first, I can judge the translation and just focus on that instead of trying to sync up two different stories. If that makes sense.
        Last edited by Ben Staad; 10-25-2018, 01:12 PM.
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
          Good rule. On the flip side I did read a book series once (several times) and pictured and read the books lead as Clint Eastwood. I never could shake it.
          Funny, but I always pictured Idris Elba as that character.

Comment

laugh.gif
            Last edited by Marmaduke Grigsby; 10-25-2018, 03:20 PM.

Comment

The movie adaptation of FIGHT CLUB is pretty darn close to the book. If I remember correctly, we are talking line for line dialogue at points. There are some differences though the biggest being the ending. I read the book after seeing the movie a bunch of times and didn't have any issues with "casting". It also helps that FIGHT CLUB is short quick read.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                The movie adaptation of FIGHT CLUB is pretty darn close to the book. If I remember correctly, we are talking line for line dialogue at points. There are some differences though the biggest being the ending. I read the book after seeing the movie a bunch of times and didn't have any issues with "casting". It also helps that FIGHT CLUB is short quick read.
                Aren't you guys breaking the 1st rule of Fight Club?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                  Aren't you guys breaking the 1st rule of Fight Club?
                  Dang it... I am Jack's bitter sense of self-loathing.

Comment

Funny. I think he was fine in the movie but sadly the movie sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                      Funny. I think he was fine in the movie but sadly the movie sucked.
                      Yeah, initially I was annoyed that they cast Idris as Roland. I would have been pissed if they cast Paul Giamatti as Roland. King spent a lot of time over the years clearly etching an image of Eastwood into everyone's imagination so this was NOT the character to drastically change, IMO. There are tons of other characters where it wouldn't matter to me at all. ANYWAY, those objections took a back seat once I saw the trailer for this pile of crap. Idris Elba is a fantastic actor and he looked like he'd be a fantastic gunslinger, only what I saw in that trailer was a Harry Potter wannabe movie. And McConaughey struck me as a terrifically awful Walter O'Dim. From the little I saw, he struck me as just the worst in that role. I've never seen the movie. I doubt I ever will. So my objections really aren't all that fair. But those trailers sealed it for me.

Comment

I really think the concept of the movie was wrong. All the actors were okay but the actual story and subsequent presentation (visual/audio/writing) were all lacking. I did not want fan fiction I wanted something that I've spent a lifetime reading and thinking about. A pure adaption would be unreasonable to expect but this wasn't even put together well.

Yeah, initially I was annoyed that they cast Idris as Roland. I would have been pissed if they cast Paul Giamatti as Roland. King spent a lot of time over the years clearly etching an image of Eastwood into everyone's imagination so this was NOT the character to drastically change, IMO. There are tons of other characters where it wouldn't matter to me at all. ANYWAY, those objections took a back seat once I saw the trailer for this pile of crap. Idris Elba is a fantastic actor and he looked like he'd be a fantastic gunslinger, only what I saw in that trailer was a Harry Potter wannabe movie. And McConaughey struck me as a terrifically awful Walter O'Dim. From the little I saw, he struck me as just the worst in that role. I've never seen the movie. I doubt I ever will. So my objections really aren't all that fair. But those trailers sealed it for me.

Comment

I have yet to see the movie and doubt I ever will. Maybe one day someone will actually adapt the story correctly. It's gonna have to be a series. Can't be done correctly via movies.

Comment

At the end of the day they tried to cram a story that took 7 books into a hour and a half long movie. It was never going to work with that approach. They really needed to just commit to a multi picture deal with a director / writing team that had a single vision. Doesn't have to be 7 movies, there's a lot of stuff in the books that wouldn't need to make it into the movies, but they almost certainly could have accomplished it in 3.
                            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Agreed. 3 or even 4 films could have covered almost everything. With that they could have grabbed other novels/characters and story lines as well. I am really surprised that they couldn't find funding with, what I perceived, the success of LOTR and Hobbit.

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                              At the end of the day they tried to cram a story that took 7 books into a hour and a half long movie. It was never going to work with that approach. They really needed to just commit to a multi picture deal with a director / writing team that had a single vision. Doesn't have to be 7 movies, there's a lot of stuff in the books that wouldn't need to make it into the movies, but they almost certainly could have accomplished it in 3.

Comment

Although a lot could be left out, I feel a series would be better for character development and other storylines. I'm not sure there is really a demand for it though.

Comment

Working...
                                X