No announcement yet.

Book Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you haven't ordered Widow's Point by Richard and Billy Chizmar you should order it. If you have it but have not yet read it you should read it.

This is a great read:
    Have to be honest, I had reservations when ordering this book. Richard Chizmar's collection A Long December was one of my top reads from last year and I really wanted more from him. However the plot for this one has been done before. Writer stays in haunted location to write a story about it, but things ensue.
    Well I am happy to say that this book, while a familiar theme, was a totally unique story. Writer Thomas Livingston moves into a long closed lighthouse that has been the scene of several tragedy's for a three night stay. He takes along provisions for the three days, a video camera and an audio camera. While inside he discovers the diary of a young girl who perished long ago inside the lighthouse. As events unfold you ride along with Mr. Livingston as this adventure moves from a simple research mission to a fight for his life and sanity.

Great read co-written by Richard Chizmar and his Son Billy Chizmar. I have the feeling we will be hearing a lot more from Billy in the future.

Comment

The Last Unicorn - Peter S. Beagle

“It’s not enough to be ready to see—you have to be looking all the time.”

Summarizing this book without tarnishing its perfection is impossible, as a plot synopsis consisting of a few sentences can easily lead one to believe it’s standard fantasy fare.

It is not.

The bones of the story may boil down to look routine, but the profundity of the writing, the sledgehammer of wisdom and fancy pounding away at your head and heart makes this one for the ages.

And anything else is a spoiler.

The book must be read.

I did not know that I was so empty, to be so full.

5 stars

The Last Unicorn.jpg
      Last edited by bugen; 02-28-2018, 09:14 PM.
      “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
      -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Added these three to my TBR list. Thanks Bugen and Martin. One of my favourite things about being on this forum is the constant stream of recommendations I get. It's hard to keep up with but what a great problem to have.

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
          The Last Unicorn - Peter S. Beagle

“It’s not enough to be ready to see—you have to be looking all the time.”

Summarizing this book without tarnishing its perfection is impossible, as a plot synopsis consisting of a few sentences can easily lead one to believe it’s standard fantasy fare.

It is not.

The bones of the story may boil down to look routine, but the profundity of the writing, the sledgehammer of wisdom and fancy pounding away at your head and heart makes this one for the ages.

And anything else is a spoiler.

The book must be read.

I did not know that I was so empty, to be so full.

5 stars

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20502[/ATTACH]
          I am not a big fantasy reader but you have me intrigued, great review!

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
            Added these three to my TBR list. Thanks Bugen and Martin. One of my favourite things about being on this forum is the constant stream of recommendations I get. It's hard to keep up with but what a great problem to have.
            I know I have been introduced to some good reads I would never have considered without the folks here!

Comment

Thanks, Martin. And you're right, this forum is one of the great places to learn from other's experiences.
              Last edited by bugen; 03-02-2018, 09:53 PM. Reason: grammar (jeez)
              -John Barth

Comment

Oh The Last Unicorn.

Hated it. One of the most painful reads and a book that made me question my “must finish what I start rule”

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                  Oh The Last Unicorn.

Hated it. One of the most painful reads and a book that made me question my “must finish what I start rule”

Good luck.
                  Irreconcilable differences
                  -John Barth

Comment

I tried to enjoy it. I think in my Goodreads review I quoted another member here, who like me, struggled with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                      I tried to enjoy it. I think in my Goodreads review I quoted another member here, who like me, struggled with this one.
                      Don't get me wrong, brother, I've always respected your opinion in all things books and continue to do so. This one is just a viewpoint difference of the fantasy, and more specifically the fairy tale, genre.

As will forever be the case, it takes all types.
                      -John Barth

Comment

I finished reading Entangled Soul by Gene O'Neill & Chris Marrs. I thought this novella was excellent, I loved how Chapter 1 began with Finn and than went to Sophie in Chapter 2-The story alternated between the viewpoints of Finnegan McCullough and Sophie Lindberg, the two main characters. The one thing I found disappointing three quarters of the way through was a handful of typos. I wish the novella had been just a little bit longer as the ending seemed abrupt.

Cap
                        Last edited by c marvel; 03-13-2018, 04:24 PM.
                        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I finally got around to reading David Wong's John Dies at the End. Probably the most disappointing book I have read that was published by Cemetery Dance. This is a book that will live or die based on how the humor works for the reader. It fell completely flat for me. The story is choppy and lacks anything other than the attempts at humor to keep your attention. As I pushed through I kept hoping it would get better but it did not. I have the second and third book of the trilogy but will probably dump them all without continuing the story. I just can't imagine returning to that universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                            I finally got around to reading David Wong's John Dies at the End. Probably the most disappointing book I have read that was published by Cemetery Dance. This is a book that will live or die based on how the humor works for the reader. It fell completely flat for me. The story is choppy and lacks anything other than the attempts at humor to keep your attention. As I pushed through I kept hoping it would get better but it did not. I have the second and third book of the trilogy but will probably dump them all without continuing the story. I just can't imagine returning to that universe.
                            I had the same issue...tried reading it a while back (in tpb form), and just could not get into it. I could see the type of book he was trying to create, but while I'm usually a fan of the horror/humor mash-up (ala Jeff Strand, etc.), this one fell flat for me as well.
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I liked John Dies at the End, but I think it helps that I had seen the kinda "B" movie before reading the book, so I knew what I was getting into. I never got around to the other books in the series. Then again I liked Ready Player One and every podcast I've listened to that's mentioned it seems to hate that one, so maybe my taste is just bad.
                              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                                I had the same issue...tried reading it a while back (in tpb form), and just could not get into it. I could see the type of book he was trying to create, but while I'm usually a fan of the horror/humor mash-up (ala Jeff Strand, etc.), this one fell flat for me as well.
                                I went in understanding that it was a Humor/Horror novel. It just did not work for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X