Favorite Old CD Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Dan, are you asking boom design/production-wise or story itself?
    Story. I have an idea for a "line of books" that would involve reprints of older titles / fan favorites type of thing. Don't know if it'll come to fruition, or if we can even get rights to anything. I'm just trying to get an idea of what titles people would be interested in inexpensive (essentially trade) editions of.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Isis is a 2006 release. It is one of my favorite books and I still remember it today.

Cap
      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I think we're going to be emailing out a survey about this to try and get responses from a larger audience than are here on the forums. I'm enjoying this discussion though.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
          I think we're going to be emailing out a survey about this to try and get responses from a larger audience than are here on the forums. I'm enjoying this discussion though.
          I really liked "The Machinery of Night" by Douglas Clegg. Came out in 2005. A real doorstop of a book with some really interesting short stories.

Comment

I would LOVE to see collected volumes of the Novella Series starting at the beginning. Maybe 2 or 3 per volume.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
              I would LOVE to see collected volumes of the Novella Series starting at the beginning. Maybe 2 or 3 per volume.
              That would be cool, though probably not ideal for what I am working on. I don't really want to share too many details because I'm still in the brainstorming phase.

Instagram

Comment

Story. I have an idea for a "line of books" that would involve reprints of older titles / fan favorites type of thing. Don't know if it'll come to fruition, or if we can even get rights to anything. I'm just trying to get an idea of what titles people would be interested in inexpensive (essentially trade) editions of.
                Well, if that is your line of thinking I will need to look at some of the older titles I missed out on and mention them. Two that come to mind off the top of my head are The Wilds and Night In The Lonesome October, both by Richard Laymon. I love the concept and would really enjoy seeing some of the older titles in an updated series.

Comment

Two I really liked were Darkness Demands and Second Chance.

Comment

Another vote for Live Girls.

Comment

We're emailing out that survey now.

Instagram

Comment

Done! What do I win LOL!!

Comment

We're emailing out that survey now.
                          Yeah, I saw it and clicked on it and was ready to answer but I really couldn't answer. I don't think there are any old editions I'd like to see new editions of. Mainly because I'd like to see new books more. Apart from a few Lansdales, I haven't been on the lookout for past editions.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                            Yeah, I saw it and clicked on it and was ready to answer but I really couldn't answer.
                            I did the same thing. I am still relatively new to CD so I'm not familiar enough with the older publications. I saw a couple people had mentioned LIVE GIRLS, a book that I re-read recently and loved as much as the first time I read it back in the 1980s. I didn't even know that CD had published a version of it.

The only other older CD book I have read is THE MOUNTAIN KING by Rick Hautala which I enjoyed a lot also.

Comment

If I can throw in a quick Devil's Advocate thought...

If the thought is to reprint previous CD titles in tpb, I do have to wonder if it might be economically difficult to make a line of tpbs work for this reason: For whatever reason and *generally speaking*, I don't think it's a secret (though it certainly is puzzling) that CD titles do not hold their collectible value well on the aftermarket. Search "Cemetery Dance signed" on eBay and it's apparent that many titles are readily available and run $15 to $25, one-third to one-half their original cover price, and even at that I tend to see those same auctions stagnate unsold.

That said, I wonder then who the customer is who would buy a new tpb reprint that is presumably priced at $14.95 to $19.95 when that customer could instead pick up that same book in signed/limited hardcover off eBay, et al for basically the same price. I certainly think a $9.95 pb reprint series would work well (though I suspect such pricing is not feasible for smaller reprint runs), but once the price for the tpbs starts inching up to the cost that better, more premium HC copies are being offered at on the aftermarket, I have to imagine it's going to be a tough sell.

That (also) said, I'd then suggest that the titles to be reprinted be those that have comparatively held their value better than others and are thus more scarce and expensive on the aftermarket. To be frank, I don't know that those are as I haven't kept abreast of the values of my CD books...maybe F. Paul Wilson's expanded MIDNIGHT MASS? Maybe the early novel by Norman Partridge, SLIPPIN' INTO DARKNESS? It'd probably take some cross-referencing of titles on eBay with eBay's real-world values (not ABE or Biblio where the sellers are often rather optimistic), but I think that kind of prep research would be invaluable in ensuring the titles selected for tpb reprint are those with a demand that won't be eclipsed by what's already available to the buyer at the same price in S/L HC.

Those're my two-cent thoughts.
                              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I went with older titles that I have not yet read but would like to.

Comment

Working...
                                X