An Update from TacomaDiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Update from TacomaDiver

Since I've mentioned it before, and it's not a secret, but my job situation took a dark turn in November. To catch-up, we laid off about 12-15% of our workforce, and then those that remain are being forced to take a mandatory furlough day every week. This is also known as a mandatory 20% paycut. You could use your PTO to offset lost wages, but then you'd have no time off when (if?) we go back to normal. Plus HR has hinted that they're going to change the PTO accumulation policy this year, so even less PTO is earned.

In mid-December, we decided we'll need to move, because my salary was no longer worth commuting 4-5 hours each day. We were able to move closer (into my MIL's house - so free rent) so that's good.

Also in mid-December, I decided that I'll need to look for a new job.

On Monday, I was offered a new job, which I promptly accepted. It comes with a nice hefty raise, and even a nice signing bonus. Well, they call it a relocation bonus.

So yes, I'm on the move to a new state, one that's landlocked so my diving days are going to be even more limited than before (that reminds me, I can make any interested parties a great deal on a ton of SCUBA equipment! And some lawn care stuff too . . .)

On March 4th, I start my new job in Colorado. So that's exciting.

Oh - don't worry Ron - I'm still going to try and make sure your Black Crouch book(s) can get signed in March.

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Since I've mentioned it before, and it's not a secret, but my job situation took a dark turn in November. To catch-up, we laid off about 12-15% of our workforce, and then those that remain are being forced to take a mandatory furlough day every week. This is also known as a mandatory 20% paycut. You could use your PTO to offset lost wages, but then you'd have no time off when (if?) we go back to normal. Plus HR has hinted that they're going to change the PTO accumulation policy this year, so even less PTO is earned.

In mid-December, we decided we'll need to move, because my salary was no longer worth commuting 4-5 hours each day. We were able to move closer (into my MIL's house - so free rent) so that's good.

On Monday, I was offered a new job, which I promptly accepted. It comes with a nice hefty raise, and even a nice signing bonus. Well, they call it a relocation bonus.

So yes, I'm on the move to a new state, one that's landlocked so my diving days are going to be even more limited than before (that reminds me, I can make any interested parties a great deal on a ton of SCUBA equipment! And some lawn care stuff too . . .)

Oh - don't worry Ron - I'm still going to try and make sure your Black Crouch book(s) can get signed in March.
    Congratulations and good luck in Colorado. No more diving in the narrows, say goodbye to Gallopin' Gertie. While there is no salt water to dive the Rockies offer a lot. I certainly hope this opens a wonderful new chapter in your life!

Comment

Good for you and congrats. Many people here in Yosemite are unhappy and frankly simply put dislike the new main concessionaire. I personally have been saying they are a bunch of uncaring bozos. They are not a nice company (I think NPS f---ed up choosing these people) and I am keeping my eyes open for an opportunity to move on if it comes to that. I'd rather stay here in the park.

Cap
      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Congrats, Jason! Now we'll be neighbors

Comment

That's fantastic! Congrats!

Comment

Wonderful news, Jason! That kind of financial worry and strain can really take a toll, so it’s great you were able to land such a great opportunity and put it behind you. We’ll miss you in WA, but Martin and I will hold down the fort. ;-). I’ve never visited CO, but I’ve always imagined it as a beautiful area of the country...and I have to think that the state politics and taxes have to be more resident-friendly.

Congrats again!
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

That is awesome news. Congrats my friend!
              Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Sounds great, well done and good luck!!

Comment

Congrats on the new job. It's a pity about the lack of diving opportunities, but CO seems like a nice place to live.

We had a lot of layoffs last month, and rumor has it that another big one is coming next week. At least the job market is better than last time I was looking.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                    Wonderful news, Jason! That kind of financial worry and strain can really take a toll, so it’s great you were able to land such a great opportunity and put it behind you. We’ll miss you in WA, but Martin and I will hold down the fort. ;-). I’ve never visited CO, but I’ve always imagined it as a beautiful area of the country...and I have to think that the state politics and taxes have to be more resident-friendly.

Congrats again!
                    Thanks Ron! Yes, I'm entrusting all of Washington to you and Martin - I've been here for about half of my life, so Washington is very near and dear to my heart - take good care of this place!

I've been to Colorado three times now (twice for work conferences, once for my interview last week,) and it is beautiful. That came up in the first phone interview - how could I even think about leaving Washington? Uh, Colorado is pretty spectacular itself!

Cost of living is significantly lower than where, housing is about HALF of what King County is priced at, and everything is a lot closer. I'm eyeballing areas to live in that look far away, but are only about a 20 minute (8 mile) drive. I won't even have time to drink my coffee before I get to work!

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                    That is awesome news. Congrats my friend!
                    Thanks man!

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                    Sounds great, well done and good luck!!
                    Thank you! It should be great - just a bit overwhelming trying to figure all of this stuff out. On the "bright-side" - all of my stuff is already packed up because I just moved out of my house anyway.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                    Congrats on the new job. It's a pity about the lack of diving opportunities, but CO seems like a nice place to live.

We had a lot of layoffs last month, and rumor has it that another big one is coming next week. At least the job market is better than last time I was looking.
                    Thanks!

Colorado looks great - but it's not like I've been diving recently (getting older and fatter sucks!)

Layoffs are the worst because you're always waiting for the second shoe to fall. That's how it is here - there's this overwhelming feeling of unease and we're just waiting for something else to happen. Makes morale pretty bad, and as a manager here, it's hard keeping my team positive when nothing good is on the horizon.

Comment

Damnit - I lost all of my other replies!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                        Congratulations and good luck in Colorado. No more diving in the narrows, say goodbye to Gallopin' Gertie. While there is no salt water to dive the Rockies offer a lot. I certainly hope this opens a wonderful new chapter in your life!
                        Thanks Martin!

I'm excited - and quite a bit freaked out at the same time too. It's a huge step - and one that I never imagined that I would be making. I moved back to Washington almost 21 years ago exactly, also for a job, but this time it's different. I have a wife, more stuff (damn you books!) two cats and a dog, and a familiarity with the area that I never had before. But it'll be good.

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                        Good for you and congrats. Many people here in Yosemite are unhappy and frankly simply put dislike the new main concessionaire. I personally have been saying they are a bunch of uncaring bozos. They are not a nice company (I think NPS f---ed up choosing these people) and I am keeping my eyes open for an opportunity to move on if it comes to that. I'd rather stay here in the park.

Cap
                        Thanks Cap!

I've always been jealous that you live in Yosemite - I do miss that part of California.

And if you're not confident about your leadership, it does make your job that much more difficult to feel passionate about, so I feel you there. Good luck!

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                        Congrats, Jason! Now we'll be neighbors
                        Shit - I'm going to have to already move before I even moved the first time!

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                        That's fantastic! Congrats!
                        Thanks Jeff! It's going to be a great opportunity and I'm sure I'll feel comfortable soon! It's SCARY!

Comment

Glad things are looking up, Jason! Best of luck with the move and the new job.
                          http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Shit - I'm going to have to already move before I even moved the first time!
                            LOL! Maybe I can drag you to a Joe Hill event he will ever make it out this way

Comment

Congratulations on the new job.

Comment

Working...
                              X