No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sure feels like winter to me, it feels like winter half the year. Apparently the snow didn't stick around, but it won't be long I expect.

Comment

Fall here in the Pacific Northwest. Currently 70 degrees, sunny and the trees are all pretty colors!

Comment

KC is expecting its first frost tonight!
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

A very chilly but still fall here too. I have had to scrape ice off my car multiple times already in the morning though. But I live in a marshy are where there is ALWAYS moisture on the windows so its bound to freeze even this early. Last year I had only been here for 2 or 3 weeks and it was snowing though...so that was around this time last year. Glad it's not this year. We didn't have a summer though, as most of you know, calgary had a VERY wet summer.

Comment

Got out of work yesterday to a little snow here in michigan.

Comment

So i was looking at a few books in the store that would be classified as fantasy. My thought and subsequent question..why are all the characters names have to be tongue twisters? Can we just have a John, Joe, Mary, Sue?

Comment

My Deena Warner Halloween Card just arrived! Even got a signed one!

Comment

But then they wouldn't sound fantastic or otherworldly. Of course that shouldn't rule out single syllable names.

I don't remember what the book was, but a friend of mine read a fantasy parody novel back in the 80s and the main character had one of those super special swords like Excalibur. He named it Joe the sword. I thought that was hilarious.
                  "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I find it funny when an author tries so hard to sound exotic and just end up making their character names sound like Lovecraftian gods. Steven Erikson is sometimes guilty of this.

Comment

Sometimes keeping it simple works best, and this is one instance where I would agree. Too much fancy lingo doesn't always cut it.

Comment

I'm pretty excited for the Comic Con here this weekend. I never care too mnuch about the actors who come, but I always look forward to the artists. This year didn't look to good until they revealed that Neal Adams will be coming. I am huge fan of his Batman art, and Deadman stories (as well as art).

Comment

The World Fantasy convention 2013 is being held in a few days time (31st October - 3rd November) in Brighton, England. There are some really big names attending along with some well known publishers:

PS Publishing
                          Subterranean Press
                          Centipede Press
                          Titan Books
                          etc....

Over 50 publishers in total are booked to attend. I just wish I managed to get tickets to this, as I am sure it's going to be awesome!!!

http://www.wfc2013.org/
                          "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
                          - Stephen King

Comment

I had really planned on going to Toronto this summer for FanExpo Canada - 2nd biggest after the the big one in San Diego I believe - anyway..... things just didn't work out, and I never did make it.

There is a BookFest this weekend here in Windsor, the biggest author scheduled is Margaret Atwood (I think). Not sure if I will make it or not.

Comment

I've never seen a book convention here. I always thought it would be sweet to have a horror convention, include authors, actors, directors artists, whatever. Unfortunately I'd be the only one there.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                                I've never seen a book convention here. I always thought it would be sweet to have a horror convention, include authors, actors, directors artists, whatever. Unfortunately I'd be the only one there.
                                The last 2 years near Christmas they've had a ComiCon in Windsor, it started small year one (a small legion hall outside the city I think), last year they had to move it to the downtown area in one of the convention halls that is part of one of the local colleges (St. Clair). I haven't checked into how things are progressing this year, but hopefully I may be able to check it out. It's mostly comics and sci-fi I think, and nothing large scale.....yet. I hope they add a horror aspect and maybe be able to build on it. Windsor has lots of spaces available for something like this to be successful - plus we are across the river from Detroit, MI - so lots of people to draw interest from too. I may contact them and suggest some stuff, as it would be awesome for them to get some big names in - as I am sure that can pretty hard to do though.

Comment

Working...
                                X