Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trading a S/L Stephen King HC for a signed print...will I regret it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trading a S/L Stephen King HC for a signed print...will I regret it?

So today I stumbled upon a framed and matted print (print, not orig. art), signed and numbered, from a favorite (and deceased) vintage artist of mine, and the ABAA-certified bookdealer is open to trades. About the only thing I have that could make it close to a wash would be a signed/limited Stephen King. I'm thinking of offering my signed/numbered/slipcased edition of King's UNDER THE DOME...also comes in the special aftermarket slipcase that includes a separate storage tray for the cards.

UNDER THE DOME was the book that brought King back in my life in 2009 after pretty much dismissing most of what he wrote in the ten'ish years before its publication (and found his '90s stuff hit and miss). That reigniting of Constant Readership lasted for a couple more books -- 11/22/63 and JOYLAND, both of which I loved -- before I once again fell off the bandwagon...tried one other one, DR. SLEEP, in 2013 and didn't care for it at all. I haven't read anything else of his since. I should also note that I have the signed/numbered limited editions of both 11/22/63 and JOYLAND (and CUJO) and two signed HC trade 1sts, so UNDER THE DOME is neither my only King limited nor my only signed King.

As mentioned, I'm thinking of trading it...but:

1). Since UNDER THE DOME reignited my King passion -- however briefly -- I do have some sentimental attachment to it, even though in the examination of things it's a stereotype-heavy, cliche-ridden book with a silly ending...not a bad book -- kinda fun, despite its faults -- but certainly not in the realm of 11/22/63 or JOYLAND (let alone his early classics). I won't be re-reading it.

2). I can't underscore how hard of a time I have selling books of much lesser import and pride and value...sometimes I think there's a certain hoarder aspect to this book-collecting hobby of mine. So: casting off a signed/limited Stephen King feels wrong by any measure...under normal circumstances.

3). But I reeaally want this signed print, so it feels like perhaps "normal circumstances" are not -- or should not be -- in play.

But will I miss the book? Am I being too impulsive (just saw the print today), and will I severely regret trading it away? All I know for sure is that I can't justify the expense of the print without doing this trade.

Not really sure about the point of this post, other than to put it down on paper, so to speak, and see if that helps resolve the issue....since rolling it around in my mind all day hasn't gotten me much closer to a decision. Any tips, advice, etc. anyone wants to throw my way is appreciated.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 08-05-2019, 10:33 PM.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Go for the print! I can tell you really want it!!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
      Go for the print! I can tell you really want it!!
      I do indeed. Plus I’m thinking that I can enjoy the print every day when entering my office/library as my eyes glance over at it on the wall…safe to say that the same can’t be said about the copy of King’s novel that just sits on my shelf, never to be read again nor probably even opened, except for once in a blue moon...and yet, and yet... :-/

Comment

I don’t think sharing my opinion should be a factor in your decision. We’re two different people with different sets of priorities and drives. So what will work for me might not work for you. But of course I’m going to share my opinion anyway.

I wouldn’t trade the book for the print. If I couldn’t buy the print then I would pass. I wouldn’t give up such a nice signed Kind edition for anything other than maybe original art. I just wouldn’t want to lessen my collection. Much nicer to add to it. Especially for a book that holds some sentimental value.

Comment

Which would be easier to obtain in the future. If you make the trade and decide you really want the book in the future how easy would it be to find a copy? If you decide against the trade and in the future you really want the print how easy would it be to find another?

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            Which would be easier to obtain in the future. If you make the trade and decide you really want the book in the future how easy would it be to find a copy? If you decide against the trade and in the future you really want the print how easy would it be to find another?
            Intriguing spin on it. The King would be infinitely easier to find...looks to be a couple dozen copies on ABE right now, in fact. Conversely, I can’t find another example of the specific print anywhere on-line. I can also see myself not worrying about replacing the King ever, while I can however imagine myself lamenting for a long time not having the print on my wall.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
              I can also see myself not worrying about replacing the King ever, while I can however imagine myself lamenting for a long time not having the print on my wall.
              I think that pretty clearly answers the question.

Comment

Go to where your collecting soul is leading you. After all, having fun and personal enjoyment, is what collecting is all about.
                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                  I think that pretty clearly answers the question.
                  YEP. You've already decided. Now you just have to act on your decision.

Comment

Thanks, guys -- I think you're all correct on this one. I just sent him the email w/ the book info so, barring any lowball trade estimate on the King, I'm committed. I'll let you you all know how it goes.

Comment

Thanks, guys -- I think you're all correct on this one. I just sent him the email w/ the book info so, barring any lowball trade estimate on the King, I'm committed. I'll let you you all know how it goes.
                      I'd love to know the artist and the artwork.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                        I'd love to know the artist and the artwork.
                        It's Robert Maguire, one of the best vintage paperback artists of that era. The artwork is a print of a David Goodis cover that he painted...it has a 400 signed limitation, but Maguire died shortly after the project was begun so only 12 or 15 of several different prints were released. Here it is:

maguire.jpg

Unfortunately, the dealer ended up passing on my trade offer a few minutes ago, so unless I make the trade even more painful (a higher-end (more rare) King, a rare Centipede title, etc.) it looks like the whole issue has been put to bed without a snack.

I actually have a vintage paperback (a Lionel White title) signed by Maguire on the title page, so will very likely let that suffice and keep my higher-end Kings and Centipedes...I was prepared to have the trade hurt, but not scar.

EDIT: I should add that along with the signed Maguire pb I also have a vintage paperback (a John D. MacDonald title) signed by Robert McGinnis (as well as the signed/limited/slipcased book that came out a few years ago) and a couple signed pamphlets/chapbooks/? (kind of hard to describe what they are) by James Avati. To my mind, these three artists make up the Holy Trinity of vintage paperback artists, so even if I don't manage to get my hands on that above limited print, I still feel pretty fortunate to have signed pieces by all three gentlemen.
                        Last edited by RonClinton; 08-06-2019, 05:43 PM.

Comment

It's Robert Maguire, one of the best vintage paperback artists of that era. The artwork is a print of a David Goodis cover that he painted...it has a 400 signed limitation, but Maguire died shortly after the project was begun so only 12 or 15 of several different prints were released. Here it is:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21614[/ATTACH]

Unfortunately, the dealer ended up passing on my trade offer a few minutes ago, so unless I make the trade even more painful (a higher-end (more rare) King, a rare Centipede title, etc.) it looks like the whole issue has been put to bed without a snack.

I actually have a vintage paperback (a Lionel White title) signed by Maguire on the title page, so will very likely let that suffice and keep my higher-end Kings and Centipedes...I was prepared to have the trade hurt, but not scar.

EDIT: I should add that along with the signed Maguire pb I also have a vintage paperback (a John D. MacDonald title) signed by Robert McGinnis (as well as the signed/limited/slipcased book that came out a few years ago) and a couple signed pamphlets/chapbooks/? (kind of hard to describe what they are) by James Avati. To my mind, these three artists make up the Holy Trinity of vintage paperback artists, so even if I don't manage to get my hands on that above limited print, I still feel pretty fortunate to have signed pieces by all three gentlemen.
                          I'm sorry they turned down your trade offer. That is a fantastic print and I can see why it put stars in your eyes. Would the bookseller accept a trade and some money? Is there no option to avoid the scarring and still get the print?

Either way, it sounds like you have some real gems in your collection that can give you solace!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                            Would the bookseller accept a trade and some money? Is there no option to avoid the scarring and still get the print?
                            After I told him the title (he'd earlier expressed possible interest in a signed/limited King as trade) he thanked me but just flat-out passed, so unless I figure out another trade offering... But, yeah, if I could find one he'd be interested in but was of lesser value, I'm sure he'd go with a book-and-cash option...heck, with UNDER THE DOME, chances were I was going to have to throw in some cash as well, anyhow, as the price of the print is $400, and the value of a S/L UtD is that or less (and he's there to make a profit)...was just hoping to keep the amount of cash as small as possible. Now that I'm committed in my mind, I keep eyeing now some other high-end books in my collection that I really don't want to be eyeing...I think I need to step away from the deal and just mull it over for a few days before I do something rash that I'll regret.

Comment

After I told him the title (he'd earlier expressed possible interest in a signed/limited King as trade) he thanked me but just flat-out passed, so unless I figure out another trade offering... But, yeah, if I could find one he'd be interested in but was of lesser value, I'm sure he'd go with a book-and-cash option...heck, with UNDER THE DOME, chances were I was going to have to throw in some cash as well, anyhow, as the price of the print is $400, and the value of a S/L UtD is that or less (and he's there to make a profit)...was just hoping to keep the amount of cash as small as possible. Now that I'm committed in my mind, I keep eyeing now some other high-end books in my collection that I really don't want to be eyeing...I think I need to step away from the deal and just mull it over for a few days before I do something rash that I'll regret.
                              That sucks, trying to walk away from something you really want. I hope you find that oddball book in your collection that doesn't mean much to you but really rings this bookseller's bell.

Comment

Working...
                              X