Joe Hill - Full Throttle:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    My wife is more on the 'There are no strangers' side of things. She will engage anyone, anywhere. I am not like that.
    Me too, Martin! But it was kinda like meaning up with an old friend. Natural as could be. I think it'd be the same if/when I meet any of ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
      Me too, Martin! But it was kinda like meaning up with an old friend. Natural as could be. I think it'd be the same if/when I meet any of ya.
      With this group I pretty much feel like I know you so it would not be a problem. I am generally antisocial and my wife is not. Shortly after my now wife got together my mom decided she was the one and gave her a bunch of stuff from my childhood. One item was a roll of photos taken when I was bout 6 months old. A place I worked once had a 'guess the baby' contest so one had been cut out for that. We were at a pre-wedding gathering and the room was basically two groups who did not know the other group. My wife had put the one photo of me in her purse. The room was mostly quiet and my wife pulls the photo and asks people who it is. Apparently I look the same as I did at six months old because everyone knew who it was. It broke the ice and from that point on everyone was introducing themselves and chatting. Side note, at the work 'guess the baby' contest absolutely no one guessed me wrong.

Comment

Nothing wrong with looking 6 months old your entire life. I'd say you've aged well.

Comment

Nothing wrong with looking 6 months old your entire life. I'd say you've aged well.
          I am not sure I ever looked 6 months old. When I turned 16, to take moms car for the evening I had to go to the store and get her a quart of Olympia. The cost was .89 so I always thought it was a great deal. As a teenager people always said I was basically born grown up as I did not act like a teenager.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            I am not sure I ever looked 6 months old. When I turned 16, to take moms car for the evening I had to go to the store and get her a quart of Olympia. The cost was .89 so I always thought it was a great deal. As a teenager people always said I was basically born grown up as I did not act like a teenager.
            My grandmother would have said you were born with an old soul.

Comment

My grandmother would have said you were born with an old soul.
              I cannot tell you how many times I have been told that.

Comment

https://lithub.com/when-stephen-king...l-of-monsters/

Comment

I'm a little late to the game, but a week and a half ago I went to the Joe Hill signing that was here in Denver.

Joe read an abbreviated version of one of the stories that is in Full Throttle - definitely an uplifting tale of air travel. He assured us that Full Throttle contained ever more tales of an uplifting nature, so I can't want to get to this one...
                  IMG_0061.jpg

The last time we saw Joe (on the NOS4A2 tour,) we took a fun "soccer scarf" picture, and since he seemed to be game for pictures again this time, my wife suggested we take and "old-timey" picture. Joe seemed like he thought this was a good idea and played along.
                  IMG_0072.jpg

(Note - I never know what to do with my hands in pictures. Ever.)

Honestly, I think the highlight of the evening was the new people we met. Brian touched on it a bit above, but my wife and I met Brian and his wife (who I still can't believe drove all the way to Denver from Kansas just to meet/see Joe Hill!) I know the wives both had the "you're meeting a stranger from the internet?" question, but I think we were both pretty good judge of characters, even just from forum posts over the years.

It was a fun evening - and one I'd do again in a heartbeat (except next time I'll go to the right hotel the first time . . .)

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                    I'm a little late to the game, but a week and a half ago I went to the Joe Hill signing that was here in Denver.

Joe read an abbreviated version of one of the stories that is in Full Throttle - definitely an uplifting tale of air travel. He assured us that Full Throttle contained ever more tales of an uplifting nature, so I can't want to get to this one...
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21784[/ATTACH]

The last time we saw Joe (on the NOS4A2 tour,) we took a fun "soccer scarf" picture, and since he seemed to be game for pictures again this time, my wife suggested we take and "old-timey" picture. Joe seemed like he thought this was a good idea and played along.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21785[/ATTACH]

(Note - I never know what to do with my hands in pictures. Ever.)

Honestly, I think the highlight of the evening was the new people we met. Brian touched on it a bit above, but my wife and I met Brian and his wife (who I still can't believe drove all the way to Denver from Kansas just to meet/see Joe Hill!) I know the wives both had the "you're meeting a stranger from the internet?" question, but I think we were both pretty good judge of characters, even just from forum posts over the years.

It was a fun evening - and one I'd do again in a heartbeat (except next time I'll go to the right hotel the first time . . .)
                    Haha, Jason! You just had you're Q's mixed up as far as the hotel. Again, it was great meeting you guys as well and I'm hoping we'll get the chance to attend another event together. Awesome beer suggestion to boot!

Comment

Haha, Jason! You just had you're Q's mixed up as far as the hotel. Again, it was great meeting you guys as well and I'm hoping we'll get the chance to attend another event together. Awesome beer suggestion to boot!
                      That beer selection was definitely a gamble!! I'm glad it paid off.

Comment

I wish Goldsboro would ship their copies of FULL THROTTLE...gettin’ itchy.

On a related note, I canceled my pre-order of their S/L ed. of IMAGINARY FRIEND by Stephen Chbosky. Early positive reviews have turned to mixed as more reviews come in, and more pointedly I’ve had an opportunity now to thumb through the book and didn’t really care for much of what I saw.
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

The
                          Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                          I wish Goldsboro would ship their copies of FULL THROTTLE...gettin’ itchy.
                          Woohoo, just received shipping notification!
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                            The

Woohoo, just received shipping notification!
                            As did I!

Comment

Same here!

Comment

Received my Goldsboro copy of Full Throttle!

Comment

Working...
                                X