Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Shining (in all its publication forms)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do remember that now. I also remember saying that I liked it and that it was cool to see Rodriguez working on a King work, especially considering he'd worked with Joe Hill previously. Also worth note is that he did illustrate books before this, and not just comics. He did the illustrations for Peter S. Beagle's The Unicorn Sonatas. The font is garish though, and I think a larger higher resolution image would make the concept art stand out even more.

As far as art goes for The Shining I do really like the original cover art. I think it is a perfect match for the book. Along with the original 'Salem's Lot I would argue it to be among the best of King's trade editions. Eerie, and haunting with a gothic feel to it, but also a just barely restrained violence.
    Last edited by Theli; 01-19-2017, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
      Gabriel Rodriguez did a cover that many people panned as being to cartoonish. Not sure if this is the one refered to as the South Park cover. Not familiar to the show so I would not understand the reference.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19408[/ATTACH]
      This is indeed the "South Park" cover; Google "south park kenny" to see what people are getting at.

I may lack the vocabulary to make myself clear, but as the lone person (in this thread) that doesn't like this cover, perhaps I can explain why (and, in my case, nothing to do with not wanting to see something different; there is a lot of variety in the small/niche press world, but this is the first thing that screamed "cheap cartoon" to me): I too like the suggestion of "barely restrained violence," but the lack of color gradation lent the whole thing a very unreal "construction paper" feel to me, which undercut whatever else the work might have been able to accomplish. Disaster movies sometimes have poor special effects where you can tell that the building being destroyed isn't a building but a model; if you've had that experience, this (for me) is a similar feeling - I feel like I'm looking at a model or toy, not an illustration of a real thing. If an abridged Shining were somehow produced for 10 year olds, this would be a fitting cover (IMO).

Again, not trying to talk anyone out of a positive opinion they might have on this piece, just trying to shed some light on how it strikes me.
      Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

Speaking of cartoony art, I don't expect anyone here to agree (I think it's pretty widely admired), but Jae Lee's cover (tiger leaning over a boy) for The Wind Through The Keyhole fairly screamed Bloom County at me.
        Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

Originally posted by St. Troy View Post
          I may lack the vocabulary to make myself clear, but as the lone person (in this thread) that doesn't like this cover, perhaps I can explain why (and, in my case, nothing to do with not wanting to see something different; there is a lot of variety in the small/niche press world, but this is the first thing that screamed "cheap cartoon" to me):
          While there is a lot of variety in the small press world, there really isn't as much in the Stephen King small press world. At least there isn't when it comes to the artists that the "vocal" public tend to want for these books. It's usually people calling for like the same 5 or 6 artists / art styles. We're often guilty of it here at CD as well, we often will not go out of our comfort zone either.

This piece to me is a more modern art style. I wouldn't call it cartoonish, to me it's just more of a flat geometric style of art. It actually kinda reminds me of promotional art you would see for a Wes Anderson movie.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I actually like the artwork just not for The Shining. It looks like it would be for a comic book version of The Shining. I'm all for changing things up but that piece never seemed right to me.

Comment

This is indeed the "South Park" cover; Google "south park kenny" to see what people are getting at.

I may lack the vocabulary to make myself clear, but as the lone person (in this thread) that doesn't like this cover, perhaps I can explain why (and, in my case, nothing to do with not wanting to see something different; there is a lot of variety in the small/niche press world, but this is the first thing that screamed "cheap cartoon" to me): I too like the suggestion of "barely restrained violence," but the lack of color gradation lent the whole thing a very unreal "construction paper" feel to me, which undercut whatever else the work might have been able to accomplish. Disaster movies sometimes have poor special effects where you can tell that the building being destroyed isn't a building but a model; if you've had that experience, this (for me) is a similar feeling - I feel like I'm looking at a model or toy, not an illustration of a real thing. If an abridged Shining were somehow produced for 10 year olds, this would be a fitting cover (IMO).

Again, not trying to talk anyone out of a positive opinion they might have on this piece, just trying to shed some light on how it strikes me.
              For what it's worth I was referring to the original trade hard cover from 1977 when I was referring to the "barely restrained violence".

The Shining art that got axed by SP doesn't quite have the same feel. I guess it could be implied by Jack in the door way. I do like it, but I don't love it. I do however generally like Gabriel Rodriguez's art. And his art in SP's NOS4A2 is top notch. Again, better resolution might reveal a more attractive art. This one seems a bit basic, but I do like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                While there is a lot of variety in the small press world, there really isn't as much in the Stephen King small press world. At least there isn't when it comes to the artists that the "vocal" public tend to want for these books. It's usually people calling for like the same 5 or 6 artists / art styles. We're often guilty of it here at CD as well, we often will not go out of our comfort zone either.

This piece to me is a more modern art style. I wouldn't call it cartoonish, to me it's just more of a flat geometric style of art. It actually kinda reminds me of promotional art you would see for a Wes Anderson movie.
                I would actually argue that point for King. He has several artists that have touched his works. Though admittedly some have done multiple works for him there isn't one specific artist tied to King. However the same could not be said for many fantasy series. Often one artist will illustrate all covers of a series, or if not one artist one style that is emulated by others.

Comment

I think you stated your case very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                    I would actually argue that point for King. He has several artists that have touched his works. Though admittedly some have done multiple works for him there isn't one specific artist tied to King. However the same could not be said for many fantasy series. Often one artist will illustrate all covers of a series, or if not one artist one style that is emulated by others.
                    That's true. But I'm more referring to what the fans call for. Whenever a new King limited is announced, if there isn't immediately a artist attached to the project most everyone just kinda shouts for the same 5 or 6 artists / art styles. I actually think consistent artists across a fantasy series makes sense. In my mind it makes much more sense to have the same artists across books telling parts of the same story, than it does to have a different artist on each book in that series. That doesn't really apply to King though since most of Kings books are standalone stories. I actually would probably like the art on the Dark Tower books more if they used similar styles throughout the whole set. At the end of the day though art is entirely subjective.
                    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I agree with everything you said above, with perhaps the exception of The Dark Tower series. I do like that it has different artists attached to it. I do also, however, think that a uniform edition would also be cool. Actually Vinny Chong's recent foreign editions were quite striking.

Comment

So, how long till we see the same book produced with variants copies using different artists? Like what PS is doing with different covers, but all the art is different.

This comment was 50% tongue in cheek.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          So, how long till we see the same book produced with variants copies using different artists? Like what PS is doing with different covers, but all the art is different.

This comment was 50% tongue in cheek.
                          I'm waiting for the announcement any day now.

Comment

I'm with you guys in thinking CD's version could be the best that's been done. The two Artist Editions received so far are stellar and among the favorites of any books I've collected. When this DD set is done, even without the king's signature, they'll form a breathtaking library cornerstone. These are well on their way to representing an incredible achievement by CD.
                            “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                            -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

No, you're not the only one; as a purchaser of the Sub Press edition, I'm very thankful they didn't use that cover...in my mind, it missed the target by a country mile.

What I haven't determined is if I need to pick up the CD edition or just let the Sub Press edition suffice. I don't have the shelf space anymore to have variations, so if I opt for the CD edition (now on the aftermarket, given that I did not do a pre-order and it's OP prior to pub.) the Sub Press edition will have to go. Haven't yet determined if it's worth it.
                              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                                No, you're not the only one; as a purchaser of the Sub Press edition, I'm very thankful they didn't use that cover...in my mind, it missed the target by a country mile.

What I haven't determined is if I need to pick up the CD edition or just let the Sub Press edition suffice. I don't have the shelf space anymore to have variations, so if I opt for the CD edition (now on the aftermarket, given that I did not do a pre-order and it's OP prior to pub.) the Sub Press edition will have to go. Haven't yet determined if it's worth it.
                                Honestly I think the CD edition will out shine (pun intended) the Sub. Press edition in almost every way. And that's saying a lot because the Sub. Press edition is tremendous. What it really comes down to is all the bonus material, Before and After the Play especially. Plus I like Maitz more than Vinny, but that's neither here nor there. I do like the abundance of art in the Sub. Press edition, especially the smaller pieces like chapter headings etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X